kmsYM: *w*s*d*p for March 2006

  • [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      *w*s*d*p

      weekly personal and spiritual development activities supporting young adults

      organized by the Youth Ministry at Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery.

      March 2006

      02 Thur

      Getting The Most Out of Your Busy Life Through The Dhamma

      Sharing Session with Ang Hwee , Singapore Buddhism Mission (Youth Group)

      Is spirituality just restricted to segments of our lives where we read books, listen to talks or participate in workshops and retreats? How do we integrate what we have learned into our lives and our daily mundane chores so that we walk the talk? For those who are keen to find out more about how to apply Buddhist values such as loving-kindness, equanimity, generosity, etc. at work or in relationships will find this sharing with Ang Hwee useful and practical. Like most of us, he is a busy executive with numerous responsibilities; balancing career ambition, family commitments, spiritual practice, lack of sleep and wanting to do good. Find out what are the Buddhist teachings and practices that help him 'max-out' his life. Pick up a tip or two!

      09 Thur

      Buddhist Backpacker Series 2

      - (2) Vientiane & The Atmospheric City of Luang Prabang , Laos

      Sharing Session with Darryl Chan

      (*Photos may cast spells on your soul and mind)

      Sniff the fragrance of the crisp air in the highlands; cruise on the murky waters of the Mekong; walk on streets studded with old French colonial buildings; sip Laotian coffee at a street side café while seeing yellow-robed novices brush through pavements, like the fallen petals of saffron; escape the afternoon sun by taking refuge in dimly lit temples; experience walking meditation in a rural temple. Darryl invites you to join him in his journey to the last best secret of Southeast Asia –LAOS .

      16 Thur

      Introduction to Pure Land (Part 2)

      Talk cum Q&A Session by Shen Shian

      Why is Pure land Buddhism relevant to us in our spiritual endeavors? Who really is Amitabha Buddha? What is the nature of the Pure land that he had created? Where is it? How can we practise mindfulness of the Buddha? Is Pure land reached only after this life? Can it be a reality lived here and now? These questions and more will be explored in this 3-parter (once a month) interactive sharing session on the essence of Pure land Buddhism. The rationale of the Pure land scriptures and their practices will also be introduced. As the greeting goes, "Amituofo!" (Discover the real meaning of this greeting too!)

      *Do arrive early as the previous session reached its maximum capacity.

      23 Thur

      "To help or not to help?" The Art of Helping Others

      Sharing Session with Teo Puay Leng, Counsellor and Trainer fr om O’Joy Care Services

      We live in a world where we are interdependent on one another. Very often, when we see others in need, we would like to extend a helping hand. However at times, our good intention may not give us the intended "result" we are looking for. In fact, there were many people who started out with good intention of helping but eventually left feeling disheartened, disillusioned or burnout. Ms Teo Puay Leng would like to share with the audience her experience in helping volunteers to be effective helpers and her personal journey in helping other

      30 Thur

      There is Another Way!

      Sharing Session & Slideshow by Tay Lai Hock

      At the age of nearly 36, Lai Hock quitted a career that was considered by many to have good prospect, in order to realise his lifelong dream – backpacking around the world.  What started only as a 6-month trip became an almost 4 year exploration!  From 1999 to 2002, he did 2 extended long trips around the world – Europe, A fr ica, Middle East, North America, South America, Asia , a total of 35 countries in the last 4 years.  Now, he actually refers to himself as a Professional Nomad! Since he embarked on his world journey, he discovered that There is Another Way… that is – there is more to life than just mindlessly and endlessly pursuing material wealth at the expense of personal health, relationship and environment.  That man could find joy in simple things in life.  All you need is within you.  Find your heart, and you will find your way.

      Venue

      All sessions are at Awareness Place [Well Being] Level 3, #03-39

      Blk 231 Bain Street , Bras Basah Complex (Near City Hall & Bugis MRT stations)

      Time

      7.30pm – 9.30pm

      Email  wsdp@... or tel  (65) 6849 5346

      About the Speakers / Facilitators

      Ang Hwee or Asangha (“detachment’ in the Pali language) works for an MNC as a global buyer. As a student, he topped his Business Faculty and in his Human Resource Management Specializations and is a Golden Key Association Award winner. He is very active in the Buddhist Community and has been a novice monk under Ven. Ming Yi & Ven. Guang Pin in 1996. He is also the lay disciple of Ven Dr. K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera / Ven Dr Anuruddha Maha Thera / Ven Mahinda. He founded the SBM Youth Group (currently the strongest Buddhist youth group inSingapore )  and served as its President from 1996 to 2001. He is currently serving as its Trainer and Mentor . He has conducted and organized numerous camps and talks. Ang  Hwee is also a national athlete.

      Darryl Chan studied and worked in New Zealand for more than 5 years. He was exposed to a wide cross-section of people from a variety of cultures, traditions, backgrounds, languages, habits and beliefs. He served the country’s national tourism board liaising with people from around the Asia Pacific rim. He has been ‘drag’-packing across the world since 15, the last continent he has yet to set foot on is Africa . Darryl also volunteered his services as a tour guide trainer for the Gandhara Buddhist Sculptures Exhibition at KMSPKS in 2005.

      Shen Shi'an was one of the founding members of the Dharma Propagation Division of Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in 1997. He is the founder-cum-editor of TheDailyEnlightenment.com, a Dharma e-newsletter with more than 22,000 international members. He was also the editor of "Be a Lamp Upon Yourself" and "The Daily Enlightenment Book I". Currently, he heads the temple's web department, which maintains kmspks.org and AwarenessPlace.com. He also writes regularly for Nanyang Buddhist and BuddhistChannel.tv, and runs moonpointer.com - a Buddhist blog community which hopes to promote the practice of Dharma sharing via writing.

      Teo Puay Leng is the Executive Director of O’Joy Care Services, a counseling centre for older persons. She has more than 15 years of experience in social services - providing counseling, training and working with disadvantaged groups in the community. She has conducted numerous training courses, workshops, and personal growth groups for professionals and voluntary helpers on topics such as: basic counseling skills and volunteer management.

      Tay Lai Hock is a Training, Event & Business Consultant – with extensive regional and international experience in IT Marketing and Business Development. An active volunteer in the field of humanitarian and environmental concerns, Lai Hock brings with him a heartfelt perspective from his extensive travels backpacking around the world. He shares his values, passions and insights, culled from his unique experiences, that it is possible for anyone to live creatively, dream new dreams, and make them happen.

       There is a saying in Tibetan,
      "
      Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength."
      No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is,
      if we lose our hope, that's our real disaster.

      -His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

      www.TheDailyEnlightenment.com

      Youth Ministry Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery

      aims to make a positive difference in the lives of young adults by supporting your career aspirations and spiritual growths in a relevant and practical way. Staffed by a team of young professionals, the Youth Ministry offers you effective ways to get in touch with Buddhism. Contact us if you wish to find out more about Buddhism, attend our activities, volunteer, initiate a project, or just make a difference. Don’t hesitate!

      |  6849 5346  |  youth@...  |  www.kmspks.org/youth  |

      *** I’m printed on recycled paper. Recycle Me - Pass me onto someone who will may need this info ***