two sticks

  • laurencestones
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hi there,

      I've been reading this page with a lot of interest, but unfortunatly
      I've got myself a bit confused! I currently have a tappered devilstick
      (made by Aga I think, or is that just a type of oven?). I want to
      learn to do two devilsticks at once and I love the fast and precise
      feel that my current devilstick has. Would anyone be able to take a
      guess as to what I might think of the stick on this page?

      http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_devil_sticks_pro_glo.html

      Basically I just become a bit worried about the fact that the middle
      is straight. I don't want to end up with something like a flower stick
      (no offense to flower stick users, just not my style).

      Any other advice for two sticks welcome by the way.

      Laurence.
    • Rob Boaron
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
        I think it must be a AJA-stick that you have. I also have one and it's a great stick. If i would start learning two i would buy another one of those.

        An alternative: I know that www.akrobat.net have an own brand of devilsticks, which also feel great and they can make 2 stick of exactly the same weight if you ask for it.

        I don't know the feel of those glowsticks, but they look a bit weird with those balls at the ends ;-).

        RoB

        2005/9/26, laurencestones <laurenceandlynsey.solent@...>:
        Hi there,

        I've been reading this page with a lot of interest, but unfortunatly
        I've got myself a bit confused! I currently have a tappered devilstick
        (made by Aga I think, or is that just a type of oven?). I want to
        learn to do two devilsticks at once and I love the fast and precise
        feel that my current devilstick has. Would anyone be able to take a
        guess as to what I might think of the stick on this page?

        http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_devil_sticks_pro_glo.html

        Basically I just become a bit worried about the fact that the middle
        is straight. I don't want to end up with something like a flower stick
        (no offense to flower stick users, just not my style).

        Any other advice for two sticks welcome by the way.

        Laurence.

        Juggling Devil sticks Hobby
        Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
          "laurencestones" <laurenceandlynsey.solent@...> writes:

          > Would anyone be able to take a guess as to what I might think of the
          > stick on this page?

          Straight vs tapered doesn't really matter. For any tapered stick, you
          can make a straight one that's exactly the same in the important ways.

          What matters is the weight of the stick and its moment of inertia. The
          latter is well defined, but it's kind of a pain to build a device that
          measures it, so even the vendors who can tell you the mass and length
          of the stick will never tell you its moment. Actually, it's easy to
          measure if you cut the stick in half, but there's a down side to that.

          There's no good way to predict the moment of inertia just from a
          picture, so you'll either need to try one, ask someone who's tried it,
          or ask the vendor/manufacturer to weigh the stick, then cut it in half
          and tell you how far from the end the new center of mass is. Good
          luck. :)
        • laurencestones
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
            Chees for all the advice.

            I was going to look at getting another AJA (Cheers Rob) stick, but
            then I found the ones I linked, saw the price and the lights and have
            been like a kid a christmas waiting for them to get re-stocked (this
            week they tell me). I agree that the balls on the end look a bit
            funny, but suprisingly they weigh the same as my AJA one.

            Rob: Those sticks look cool. Have you tried them? I'm guesing that
            that language is Dutch or German? I've got some mates coming over this
            weekend who may be able to transalate for me. Maybe after a few beers
            I'll have the guts to spend 180 Euros!

            --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "laurencestones"
            <laurenceandlynsey.solent@v...> wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I've been reading this page with a lot of interest, but unfortunatly
            > I've got myself a bit confused! I currently have a tappered devilstick
            > (made by Aga I think, or is that just a type of oven?). I want to
            > learn to do two devilsticks at once and I love the fast and precise
            > feel that my current devilstick has. Would anyone be able to take a
            > guess as to what I might think of the stick on this page?
            >
            > http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_devil_sticks_pro_glo.html
            >
            > Basically I just become a bit worried about the fact that the middle
            > is straight. I don't want to end up with something like a flower stick
            > (no offense to flower stick users, just not my style).
            >
            > Any other advice for two sticks welcome by the way.
            >
            > Laurence.
          • Rob Boaron
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
              I wonder if they also feel as great as an AJA stick when your spinning them.

              The Akrobat site is in German. When i order something at Alkrobat i usually write them in English, since my English is better than my German.

              I tried their light sticks, but didn't buy one. They were not bad and looked nice. I liked them better then Aerotechs. Maybe i have to try them more next time is see them.

              RoB

              2005/9/27, laurencestones <laurenceandlynsey.solent@...>:
              Chees for all the advice.

              I was going to look at getting another AJA (Cheers Rob) stick, but
              then I found the ones I linked, saw the price and the lights and have
              been like a kid a christmas waiting for them to get re-stocked (this
              week they tell me). I agree that the balls on the end look a bit
              funny, but suprisingly they weigh the same as my AJA one.

              Rob: Those sticks look cool. Have you tried them? I'm guesing that
              that language is Dutch or German? I've got some mates coming over this
              weekend who may be able to transalate for me. Maybe after a few beers
              I'll have the guts to spend 180 Euros!

              --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "laurencestones"

              <laurenceandlynsey.solent@v...> wrote:
              > Hi there,
              >
              > I've been reading this page with a lot of interest, but unfortunatly
              > I've got myself a bit confused! I currently have a tappered devilstick
              > (made by Aga I think, or is that just a type of oven?). I want to
              > learn to do two devilsticks at once and I love the fast and precise
              > feel that my current devilstick has. Would anyone be able to take a
              > guess as to what I might think of the stick on this page?
              >
              > http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/glow_devil_sticks_pro_glo.html
              >
              > Basically I just become a bit worried about the fact that the middle
              > is straight. I don't want to end up with something like a flower stick
              > (no offense to flower stick users, just not my style).
              >
              > Any other advice for two sticks welcome by the way.
              >
              > Laurence.

              Juggling Devil sticks Hobby
              Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • steersmartin
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
                ive been devil sticking for a fair few years now and ive never found
                the weight of my sticks made that much difference.i do have my own
                certain weight i like to use but i cant see how it would ever make
                that much diffence unless you had the extreme of both ie a stick
                that was solid steel or stick made from feathers i just pick a set
                of sticks up and im away spinning.why does every1 go on about weight
                so much.happy sticking--- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Seth