Lunastix

  • machoo_my_scarf
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2005
      I have been doing the devil sticks for about 2 years. I'm pretty good
      and am looking to get a better pair of devil sticks. I heard about the
      "Lunastix" brand. Is this a good choice? Do you suggest another brand?
    • Russell James
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2005
        I suggest Trigun by Dube. These are sturdy, fast sticks. And they're
        real Devil Sticks, not flower sticks. Not that flower sticks suck....
        they just need a few adjustments. Like tapered wood and a removal of
        the frillies.
      • kwa Hian kai
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2005
          There seems to be alot of confusion as to what's a flower stick, lunastick,
          crystal stick, devilstick....
          I believe they refer to different brands but "devilsticks" are the ones that
          don't have tassles or frillies on the ends, and they're tapered (skinny in
          the middle and slightly fat on the ends). If you learned on something that's
          got frillies on the ends you're going to have trouble adapting to
          devilsticks. If you learned on a devilstick, switching over to the frillly
          ones is much easier.

          Kai

          Vade retro! Audaces fortuna juvat!!

          Take a break! Find destinations on MSN Travel. http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/
        • fiorastar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2005
            In a message dated 4/18/05 8:24:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rcjmanvsu2@... writes:

            I suggest Trigun by Dube.  These are sturdy, fast sticks. And they're
            real Devil Sticks, not flower sticks. Not that flower sticks suck....
            they just need a few adjustments. Like tapered wood and a removal of
            the frillies.

            Hi,

            It's been awhile since I've been on this forum, but I wanted to answer this.  "devil" sticks and any version of light juggle sticks (Flowersticks is actually the name my predecessor came up with something like 29 years ago now, and has been the name for our product since then, but has become the generic name, like "kleenex" or "frisbee") are really two different things.  Devil sticks are the heavy, wooden, tapered sticks that go fast, play hard, and can be very impressive to those watching.  Flowersticks were literally originally developed by my predecessor, Dr. Michael Margolis, as a way to get that kind of energy and interest into his physical therapy practicem back in the late 70's, early 80's.  There were no other light juggle sticks available anywhere at the time he did that, he is literally the founder of the idea.

            He was, in his spare time as a physical therapist in LA, also a professional juggler, who did Vegas shows, among other things, using devil sticks.  In his therapy practice, he worked with children, sometimes who had nerve damage, brain injuries requiring left/right balancing, shoulder or arm injuries or birth defects, or cerebral palsy.  Those children were assigned physical exercises to attempt to develop their abilities to control their arms, shoulders, or realign their brain function the way babies do when they learn to crawl.  The exercises were boring or hurt, and the kids often didn't want to do them.

            Dr. Margolis thought that if he could find a way to make devil sticks harmless and easier for people with weaker arms or less coordinated, the kids might like them and be more willing to exercise.  His first design was a thin wooden dowel, with leather cups (you can see the same leather cups on our current design at www.FlowerSticks.com, they are patented and they work great), wrapped with cloth tennis tape for some friction.  The cups gave a similar aerodynamic effect with a lighter stick, to the tapering on the heavy stick.  Also, they're soft, and do not affect whether the stick rolls or stays still, as the later fringed ends do.

            My ex-husband, Phoenix, first came across these sticks when he was juggling in Golden Gate Park in the mid 80's.  They were brought by Dr. Margolis' friend, Mark Butler, of Bolinas, CA..  While Mark was still using the ones that Dr. Margolis developed, he was experimenting at that point with using fiberglass as the base for the center baton, for it's strength and flexibility, as well as using other types of grip material that did not wear out as easily as tennis tape.  The old ones with tennis tape came with instructions about how to rewrap them when they wore out.  The new ones, with a proprietary grip tape (we call it Troll Skin-gathered from molting trolls under bridges in Washington state on the coldest night of the year), simply did not wear out.

            Phoenix and I helped Mark sell these and brought them to schools we worked at in the Bay Area throughout the 80's, and when we went on Grateful Dead tour, we brought them along in quantity and sold them for Mark.  Mark had trademarked the name "Flowersticks", which is the translation from the ancient Chinese version of this game.  When we were on Dead tour cross country in the late 80's, about '88, as I recall, there simply were no other sticks except the traditional "devil sticks".  Those who had never tried juggling before were very attracted to ours.

            Later, after we moved to Eugene, OR, Mark decided he no longer wanted to make Flowersticks, and asked us if we wanted to take it over.  We did.  We still sell them at Portland Saturday Market, the Oregon Country Fair, and on our website, www.FlowerSticks.com.   When we went to Portland Saturday Market originally, in 1991, there still were no other makers of anything light like ours, that we were aware of..  Our "mission", as Further Realms of Fun!, was to bring this incredibly cool game to as many people in the mainstream as possible, through doing craft fairs and festivals.  A few years later, we went on QVC shopping network as part of a tour they did through all 50 states, sold out 800 sets of Flowersticks in 9 min, 11 sec live on the 4th of July in the late afternoon, Pacific Time!   Instead of picking us up, QVC gave our idea to a big manufacturer in Canada, and began selling their own, cheap version of them.  During that year and in the next few years, it started...

            Everywhere we went with fairs or Dead shows, or whatever, there were other people trying new versions of light juggle sticks, and many of them were called "flower sticks".  Surprise, surprise!  The big difference is that most of them have fringed ends, which I find to be pretty floppy and difficult to keep moving.  There are other differences, because our design had been evolving all that time, and most of these guys were just starting out with what they thought they saw on tv or what someone else did.

            So, I guess our original mission has been accomplished.  About the only other light juggle sticks I would recommend would be LunaStix-we know the guy who started that, hung out with him at Rainbow Gatherings a couple of times-and he's on a similar track with what makes a good stick that is versatile to play with, meaning good for beginners AND good for experienced stick jugglers who want a different feel than the heavy wooden devil stick.

            For our two brands, FlowerSticks and LunaStix, I would say the quality of manufacture is excellent, the materials are designed with function and form in mind, the overall effect is that they really last and they play very differently than most other "flower sticks", and you are getting something that is different from devil sticks, but just as fun to play with.

            Instead of thinking that "flower sticks" should be exactly like devil sticks, I would suggest thinking of them as two different variants on the same basic concept, kind of like juggling balls compared to pins compared to cigar boxes or rings.  You're doing similar moves, but the effect is different and the emphasis is different.  Variety is the spice of life!

            Yours in Fun!
            Fiora Starchild-Wolf
            Further Realms of Fun!
            www.FlowerSticks.com
          • sauoq
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29 5:59 PM
              --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Russell James"
              <rcjmanvsu2@y...> wrote:

              > I suggest Trigun by Dube. These are sturdy, fast sticks. And they're
              > real Devil Sticks, not flower sticks. Not that flower sticks suck....
              > they just need a few adjustments. Like tapered wood and a removal of
              > the frillies.

              Flower sticks and tapered sticks lend themselves to entirely different
              styles.

              Flower sticks are better for looser play. They extend your ranges. You
              can play them with more variance in both speed and motion. Skilled
              play with them is usually more fluid and sweeping than with tapered
              sticks. Think: slow & long.

              Tapered sticks are suited for tighter play. They tend to hone your
              skills because they require more precision. They're usually faster
              than flowers which results in more striking and less lifting. Skilled
              play with them is usually more energetic. Think: swift & short.

              My suggestion: get some of each.

              Lunastix are my favorite flowers. Trigons are a great tapered set. (I
              like my Todd Smith's too.)

              Play with both.

              -bones
              http://www.devilsticking.org/