Re: [DevilStickForum] Lunastix vs. Crystalstix

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
      "se7endedlysinz" <se7endedlysinz@...> writes:

      > These 2 seem to be the 'best' choices for flowersticks out there.
      > Is there a better one between the 2? I have a set of Crystal Stix
      > Superflights - how do they differ from Lunastix?

      Those are definitely the two best flowersticks I've tried, by a large
      margin. Comparing the Crystal Stix (whatever model it is I have..) vs
      the Lunastix Master, here are the differences: The Lunastix is lighter,
      quicker, has smaller cups, and has less static rolling resistance.

      By "static rolling resistance" I mean, how hard it is to get it to start
      rolling down your handsticks. For instance, with a plan old tassel-free
      devil stick, if you tip your handsticks down even a tiny bit, the stick
      will start rolling off them, and this is what makes them such a pain to
      use. Flower sticks that have tassels hanging down tend not to do that
      so easily; you have to angle the handsticks farther toward the ground
      before the flowerstick will start to roll.

      This resistance to rolling off your handsticks is one of the things
      that makes flower sticks good at what they do. You can do crazy moves,
      and it just doesn't roll off. (Try doing a curl with a devil stick and
      you'll see what I mean. It's possible, but a lot harder.)

      If I recall correctly, the Lunastix roll at about a 70 degree incline.
      The Crystal Stix never roll at all; they just slip off when you get the
      handsticks nearly vertical. Either is probably fine for most things
      you'll want to do, but I imagine you'll think of ways to push the sticks
      to the limit, no matter what you get. That could mean needing a little
      rolling or needing none. I've seen moves of both flavors.

      The bigger difference though is that the Crystal Stix are a bit
      slower, and I find them easier to keep from dropping. Also, with the
      bigger cups, end catches are a bit easier. They're not as nimble as
      Lunastix though, and so not as good for quick moves.

      I really like the Crystal Stix handsticks though. They're shorter and
      thicker than most others. Maybe not so good if you have tiny hands, but
      I think they're great.

      So it's really a close call and probably depends on your style and
      tastes more than anything else. They're both well made, both covered
      with the same grippy material, and from what I've seen, neither one
      will let you down.
    • se7endedlysinz
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
        Ooh, a reply from Mr. Seth. Thanks :) Now if I could only find
        what set of Devilstix I want. :P
      • fiorastar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
          Hi,

          I would invite you to check out FlowerSticks at www.FlowerSticks.com before you complete your assessment. These have been around since before either of the two you mentioned and are easily in the same league.

          Fiora
        • se7endedlysinz
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
            There's alot of flowersticks out there it seems, and if I tried them
            all it would cost a bunch. I've had atleast 2 other pair in my past
            (couldn't really tell you which, probably Mystix) - so without
            trying anything, it's kinda hard to tell what I'll try. I undertand
            yours are the original, and I have been to your site, and think
            yours look interesting. However, I could expect a co-creator to
            come on here and hype their product. I don't doubt their
            playability, but I don't ee many people talking about them
            anywhere. That's not a bad thing, it could be out there, and I may
            not know where. But from my stand point, right now I'd rather go
            with what I see alot of people say are good.

            Once again, I don't doubt your product, and I'm sure things have
            come along way since my second, and especially first set.. but
            without trying them first*, I would be going in blind and setting
            myself up for a possible fall.

            Thanks for yours. If you'd like to further discuss the subject, feel
            free to email me :)

            *Demo video's or something of the sort may spark more interest.
          • fiorastar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 20, 2004
              Well, the main reason you don't see our FlowerSticks "out there" being discussed much is because the two originators moved on to other things in their lives, and we have been busy going through a divorce in the past year-splitting up the business-and not doing much in the way of marketing to the masses.  Couldn't say that for Crystalstix or Lunastix.  We only started this up as a way of earning a living with our little family while taking our kids along for the ride.  Never got very big with it in marketing sense, but still, the sticks are VERY well made, and we really mean the lifetime guarantee.  If you bought a set and did not like them, since you expressed that concern, I would be happy to refund your money should you return them.  I am honestly, even now, not trying to market to you or to this list.  Just trying to return to the conversation after nearly a year of fighting to keep the ability to make these and sell them with a guy I never expected to have to do that with.  And trying to make sure that the history doesn't erase what we did-which was basically bring the concept of a light juggle stick for beginners and beyond to a market which had never heard of them.  We really were the first out there-and it was a very fun time.

              Yours in Fun!
              Fiora
              www.FlowerSticks.com
              www.greendemocraticalliance.org
            • Rob Boaron
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
                  Hey Rob,

                  > Just wondering: Are Crystalsticks and Lunasticks mainly for sale in America? Because i don't remember seeing them over here in europe.

                  I haven't really found a place in the Netherlands where to buy those
                  sticks.

                  I ordered my Lunastix using my credit-card over the internet.
                  This worked really well. The drawback is that you won't be able to
                  test the sticks before buying. I was fortunate enough to check them
                  out at the EJC in Rotterdam a couple of years ago. Even at that
                  juggling convention I haven't seen a Lunastix or Crystalstix stand
                  (maybe I just missed them though).

                  Regards,

                  Maurice Makaay
                • Rob Boaron
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
                    Hey Maurice,

                    you're dutch too ? Are you going to the NJF ?

                    I will not buy those sticks from the internet. I haven't got a credit card
                    and i never tried those sticks. I guess i will stick to my radical fishes.
                    Maybe i'll be able to try them at the EJC in Carvin.

                    Greetings,

                    RoB

                    > > Just wondering: Are Crystalsticks and Lunasticks mainly for sale in
                    America? Because i don't remember seeing them over here in europe.

                    > I haven't really found a place in the Netherlands where to buy those
                    > sticks.
                    >
                    > I ordered my Lunastix using my credit-card over the internet.
                    > This worked really well. The drawback is that you won't be able to
                    > test the sticks before buying. I was fortunate enough to check them
                    > out at the EJC in Rotterdam a couple of years ago. Even at that
                    > juggling convention I haven't seen a Lunastix or Crystalstix stand
                    > (maybe I just missed them though).
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Maurice Makaay
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Maurice Makaay
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
                      Hi,

                      > you're dutch too ?

                      Jazeker!

                      > Are you going to the NJF ?

                      It seems that this year I won't be able to make it :-(
                      Next year it'll be better I hope.

                      > I will not buy those sticks from the internet. I haven't got a credit card
                      > and i never tried those sticks. I guess i will stick to my radical fishes.
                      > Maybe i'll be able to try them at the EJC in Carvin.

                      Yes, you should try to do so. I like my Lunastix. They are my favourite
                      pair of flower sticks. But it really depends on your personal playing style
                      if these stix are also suitable for you.

                      Groetjes,

                      Maurice Makaay