explosive sticks - don't try this at home!

  • combiferre
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
      hi all. I've been playing with sticks for about 3 years now, and
      having just stumbled on this forum I thought I'd share an idea I've
      been playing with.

      I've always made my own sticks, all of the "flowerstick" variety (ie
      an untapered baton weighted at either end, with or without tassles).
      Over this time I've experimented with some different ideas - a
      particular favourite of mine was a model made with a bit of dowel
      wrapped in cloth tape with glow-in-the-dark bouncy rubber balls
      attached to each end. It took a bit of experimenting to find balls of
      the right weight, but the result was pretty cool to play with: lots
      of inertia and it bounces fairly well off the ground etc. But as we
      all know, the fun-factor of anything increases 10-fold if you can set
      it on fire or make it explode. Whence my next variation:

      The idea is to fix the balls so that when they hit the ground a
      *small* explosion occurs. First I tried gluing paper caps (little
      spots of gunpowder enclosed in paper, used in kids guns to make
      noise) to the balls, but I had to virtually cover the whole ball in
      caps to ensure one went off when it hit the ground (and even then it
      wasn't sure, and a bit weak as far as explosions go...)

      So, being a bit of a chemistry buff, I mixed up a low-powered contact
      explosive paste, kind of like flash-powder that you paint onto stuff.
      (I'm not going to tell you how to make this here, and I warn anyone
      who does want to try this that it's dangerous if you don't know what
      you're doing, and possibly illegal where you are. Always wear eye
      protection.) Covering the balls in this stuff gave a much more
      satisfying result. quite erratic, but occasionally very
      spectacular ;) I've not yet dared to coat the whole stick in the
      paste, so that just hitting with the handstick makes it go off - it's
      a bit close to the eyes for my liking...

      Has anyone else had any experience with this kind of thing? If so I'd
      like to hear about it.

      And lastly I'll say again, playing with explosives is fun until you
      screw up and burn/kill/blow a part off yourself or someone else.
      Don't even think about trying this unless you know what you're doing,
      or have someone who knows what they're doing to show you. And NO,
      information found on some dodgy "anarchist" DIY internet site does
      not count as experience.

      This post is not meant as a recommendation for anyone to try this.
      Don't be stupid.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
        "combiferre" <combiferre@...> writes:

        > So, being a bit of a chemistry buff, I mixed up a low-powered contact
        > explosive paste, kind of like flash-powder that you paint onto stuff.

        That's pretty cool. Do you bounce it off the floor and keep going, or
        is it just giving some emphasis to your drops?

        > I've not yet dared to coat the whole stick in the paste, so that
        > just hitting with the handstick makes it go off - it's a bit close
        > to the eyes for my liking...

        Goggles.

        I once tried rolling the ends of my fire stick in powdered magnesium
        before lighting them up. Wow. Very nice. I highly recommend it, but
        goggles are necessary.
      • combiferre
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004
          --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Seth Golub <seth@a...> wrote:
          > That's pretty cool. Do you bounce it off the floor and keep going,
          or
          > is it just giving some emphasis to your drops?

          lol yes I bounce it and keep going. I try not to give emphasis to my
          drops, as they happen embarassingly frequently

          > I once tried rolling the ends of my fire stick in powdered magnesium
          > before lighting them up. Wow. Very nice. I highly recommend it,
          but
          > goggles are necessary.

          wicked idea.
        • daniel lessard
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004

            No, I personally have never tried this direction when making sticks. I don't think I want to, sounds like work. BE CAREFUL MAN!

            >From: "combiferre" <combiferre@...>
            >To: DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [DevilStickForum] explosive sticks - don't try this at home!
            >Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:18:26 -0000
            >
            >hi all. I've been playing with sticks for about 3 years now, and
            >having just stumbled on this forum I thought I'd share an idea I've
            >been playing with.
            >
            >I've always made my own sticks, all of the "flowerstick" variety (ie
            >an untapered baton weighted at either end, with or without tassles).
            >Over this time I've experimented with some different ideas - a
            >particular favourite of mine was a model made with a bit of dowel
            >wrapped in cloth tape with glow-in-the-dark bouncy rubber balls
            >attached to each end. It took a bit of experimenting to find balls of
            >the right weight, but the result was pretty cool to play with: lots
            >of inertia and it bounces fairly well off the ground etc. But as we
            >all know, the fun-factor of anything increases 10-fold if you can set
            >it on fire or make it explode. Whence my next variation:
            >
            >The idea is to fix the balls so that when they hit the ground a
            >*small* explosion occurs. First I tried gluing paper caps (little
            >spots of gunpowder enclosed in paper, used in kids guns to make
            >noise) to the balls, but I had to virtually cover the whole ball in
            >caps to ensure one went off when it hit the ground (and even then it
            >wasn't sure, and a bit weak as far as explosions go...)
            >
            >So, being a bit of a chemistry buff, I mixed up a low-powered contact
            >explosive paste, kind of like flash-powder that you paint onto stuff.
            >(I'm not going to tell you how to make this here, and I warn anyone
            >who does want to try this that it's dangerous if you don't know what
            >you're doing, and possibly illegal where you are. Always wear eye
            >protection.) Covering the balls in this stuff gave a much more
            >satisfying result. quite erratic, but occasionally very
            >spectacular ;) I've not yet dared to coat the whole stick in the
            >paste, so that just hitting with the handstick makes it go off - it's
            >a bit close to the eyes for my liking...
            >
            >Has anyone else had any experience with this kind of thing? If so I'd
            >like to hear about it.
            >
            >And lastly I'll say again, playing with explosives is fun until you
            >screw up and burn/kill/blow a part off yourself or someone else.
            >Don't even think about trying this unless you know what you're doing,
            >or have someone who knows what they're doing to show you. And NO,
            >information found on some dodgy "anarchist" DIY internet site does
            >not count as experience.
            >
            >This post is not meant as a recommendation for anyone to try this.
            >Don't be stupid.

            Share a single photo or an entire slide show right inside your e-mail With MSN Premium Get 2 Months FREE*
          • j bones
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2004

              Seth Golub <seth@...> wrote:

              I once tried rolling the ends of my fire stick in powdered magnesium before lighting them up.  Wow.  Very nice.  I highly recommend it, but goggles are necessary.

              Wow... I bet that was spectacular. Did it damage the wicks at all?

              -bones

              http://devilsticking.org/

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2004
                j bones <sauoq@...> writes:

                >> I once tried rolling the ends of my fire stick in powdered
                >> magnesium before lighting them up.
                >
                > Wow... I bet that was spectacular. Did it damage the wicks at all?

                Not a bit, as far as I could tell. I don't use them often (and haven't
                used them since then), so I might have missed subtle signs of wear, but
                even if there was some, it was worth it.