New to forum

  • Amar Prakash Singh
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2004
      My name is Amar and I started devil sticking around 1978. It had been
      about 16 years since I had last picked them up. A couple of months ago
      I got nostalgic and decided to do a workshop at the Austin JuggleFest.
      Was pretty surprised how quickly I was able get back most of what I
      had back. My biggest worry was that I was going to put on a
      demonstration on how far my skills had slipped but things went pretty
      well.

      My first sticks were a copy of a copy of Turk Pipkin's sticks. This
      was a time before surgical tubing or silicon. We used sticky bicycle
      tape on both the center stick and the control sticks. My first real
      sticks were Todd Strong sticks. He was passing through town and had an
      extra set he sold me. These had the surgical tubing on the control
      sticks. When I finally dug them out again the tubing was so dried out
      they were worthless. So I bought a set of the cloth covered sticks
      from Todd Smith. I really like these. They're a little shorter and
      lighter than my other ones. I'm 60 and the lighter the better for me.

      In my heyday, which was really 21 years ago, had most of the standard
      tricks of the day:

      Tic-tocs with both single and double sticking
      sword fighting on both hands with extra flips
      sword fighting with feinting with both sticks
      behind the back on both sides with double sticking
      helicopter with taps
      juggle into chopsticks
      chops with throws
      saw (both directions)
      propeller (both directions on both hands)
      propeller with throws and piroets (sp?)

      I've got about 75 to 80% back.

      The most amazing thing was finding devilsticks.de. I had wondered what
      people were doing that was new. Just in the past week was able to pick
      up Mills mess and am working on spirals. Had at one time worked on
      double propellers but now I can see the possibilities. That will be
      next after I get my props back better.

      There doesn't seem to be many around from the old days. Someone
      mentioned Daniel Holzman. First met him in 78 at the Amherst
      convention. We worked the same Ren Faire once. But I have not seen him
      for a number of years.

      I'll just wrap it up for now.

      Thanks for this site.

      Amar Prakash Singh
    • cirquetom
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2004
        --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Amar Prakash Singh"
        <amarprakashs@y...> wrote:

        Does can you do infinity rolls? Where are you from? I'm from
        Madison, Wisconsin,USA. 've been devil sticking for three months but
        i practice each day, I can do advanced tricks from Lunastix.com,
        check it out!> My name is Amar and I started devil sticking around

      • Amar Prakash Singh
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2004
          You wrote: "I'm from Madison, Wisconsin,USA."

          Actually used to live down the road from you. Graduated from
          Whitewater in '72 but have been living in Texas for the past 27 years.

          Amar