photos from Burning Man

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      I have some pictures from Burning Man of me with my latest fire
      sticks.

      http://www.aigeek.com/photos/2003-BurningMan/

      I had lots of fun with them, and I (along with 500 other fire
      spinners/twirlers/jugglers) got to be in the big show right before
      The Man burned.

      The devil stick was wrapped entirely in wick, with the usual 2' long
      wrap on the ends and a single layer wrap along the rest of the shaft.
      The handsticks were the ones pictured here:
      http://www.aigeek.com/devil-stick/fire-handsticks.html
      but modified by wrapping all but the torch end in a single layer of
      wick. I was hoping this would make them fire resistant (true) while
      giving them decent friction against the center stick (alas, no).

      I learned a few things:

      * Lighting up the entire stick results in a LOT of flame. It's
      very hot, but it looks great. Longer handsticks would let me get
      farther away from the fire, but would tire out my hands faster.

      * Wick on wick doesn't give much friction after all. (Grip tape
      on wick is still the best I've found, but if you light the whole
      devil stick, it'll melt the tape on the handsticks.)

      * If you wrap the handsticks in wick, they easily soak up any fuel
      they happen to touch, which turns the entire handstick into a torch.
      This turns out not to be a good thing, at least not until I get
      better gloves.

      * Magnesium looks fantastic when it burns. Someone brought a bowl of
      powdered magnesium to the big show on Saturday. I rolled all four
      fuel-soaked ends in the powder and lit up. Wow. Lots of flashy
      sparks for a while, and more whenever I hit the stick. Wear goggles
      if you do this, since flaming bits of magnesium fly off.

      * The stick was very reluctant to spin, due to balance (of the stick)
      and drag (from the flame). The only solution (as far as I know) is
      to put less of the mass at the ends, which means either making the
      stick heavier and/or making the ends lighter. The only way to
      lighten the ends is to remove wick, which would shorten the burn
      time, so I may have to try a heavier stick.

      * Fire is fun.