Re: [DevilStickForum] wo-hoo again .... :\

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2003
      "Plagasul Lusaga" <plagasul@...> writes:

      > Hi Seth, hehe, neat web! AI in music links were about to make me
      > forget firedevilsticks... Pompeu Fabra University is near here..

      I visited the music technology group there a little while back. I saw
      some impressive demos, ate good food, had a wonderful time. I almost
      applied to do research there, but I got a job offer I couldn't refuse.

      > I think it looks quite easy to do the firesticks you made, but since
      > my english is poor, a little advice will be strongly helpfull!!

      I don't like the first fire stick I made, so I don't recommend making
      one of those. This past summer, I made much better ones. I've been
      meaning to post pictures, but have been busy.

      The problem with most fire sticks is that they're slippery when
      covered in soot, which happens pretty quickly once you light them on
      fire. The solution, which no manufacturer has done yet that I know
      of, is to wrap the entire stick in something with texture.

      Most things with texture won't survive being close to fire. There
      are two solutions to that: ignore the problem and replace the wrap
      periodically, or use something fireproof.

      I chose the latter, and I made some fire sticks wrapped in kevlar fire
      wick, the same stuff used to make the torch ends. Not only did they
      work really well, it was also possible to soak and light the entire
      stick, not just the ends. It destroyed my handsticks when I did that,
      but it looked amazing. :)

      I tried two different designs: one was wrapped in a long spiral of
      fire cord. This was more expensive and more work and was no better
      than the other thing I tried, which was 2" torch wick, the same as
      you'd use on the ends. For the ends, it's better to use wick with
      wire in it (it's much easier to work with) but I used wireless wick
      for wrapping the shaft. I'm not sure whether it matters.