A Beginer That can't pull an Infinity Roll?!?!?

  • Evan <evano0ohartley@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
      I'm fairly new to Devil stix, and for christmas i recieved a pair of
      Lunastix Masters...I can do the basics, like the tick tock,
      helicopter, spin, and the spin toss...i've been wurking on the
      Infinity Roll, and CAN'T DO IT!!!! And you HAVE to be able to do the
      Infinity Roll do to most of the other advanced trix...can ne 1 help
      me?!?!?!?
    • Dude, Curtis
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
        Ah you'll get it just keep practicing. A steady hand and plenty of patience. Good Luck. Let us know when you figure it out.

        -Curtis

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
          Is that the best advice that you can manage? try working on what trick or
          move can make the transition into what move you want. It should eventually
          be as comfertable as the transition from your tick-tock move into a
          helicopter. If there are any beginers out there you should also know that if
          you can pull the same moves with either hand almost identically, it's alot
          easier to learn and train your hands to do more with the sticks.

          Dan

        • fiorastar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
            Whenever I am learning a new trick that seems to go too fast to quite "get" I find it helps to put the baton on the ground and just try to get the moves very slowly with the handsticks first.  Really think about how your handsticks need to move and how they will keep the baton (centrifugal force or balance or what) connected.  You can go as slowly as you want this way and then speed it up gradually to the point where you can try it with the baton.  It might not get you all the way there but it is almost guaranteed to help you understand how the trick should "feel".

            Yours in Fun
            Fiora Starchild
            Co-Owner  Further Realms of Fun!
            www.FlowerSticks.com
            "If you're having FUN you're doing it RIGHT!"  (tm)
          • sauoq <sauoq@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
              --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Evan <evano0ohartley@y...>"
              <evano0ohartley@y...> wrote:

              > I can do the basics, like the tick tock,
              > helicopter, spin, and the spin toss...i've been wurking on the
              > Infinity Roll, and CAN'T DO IT!!!!

              I had to go check out the lunastix site to see what exactly
              an "infinity roll" is. I really like their sticks but they seem to
              have been in a vacuum when they named the moves in their "tricks"
              section. (The "Timothy Roll?" Ha! Give me a break.)

              Anyway, the move you are missing is commonly called a curl. You may
              want to practice doing a one handed helicopter first. Once you can do
              a helispin 3 or 4 times in a row on one hand, you should be ready to
              toss in a curl.

              Picture holding a half-full wineglass in your hand such that the bowl
              of the cup rests on your palm and the stem of the glass hangs down
              between your middle and ring finger. Now, without spilling a drop,
              twist the hand towards your body, under your shoulder, up and around
              until it rests in the initial position. That's the kind of motion
              you'll need to do with your handle.

              When you first learn to curl, sometimes your hand will be a bit stiff
              and you will have to sort of force it around with a snap of the
              wrist. That's fine but you should really work on making the movement
              smooth and fluid. It makes it easier if you just follow the
              description above and allow yourself to exagerate the motions.
              Depending on which is your strong hand and which is your strong spin
              direction, you'll find the baton either rises or falls when you curl.

              After the curl, go back to the helispin. Although the video didn't
              show it, it's best if you can get it down to alternating helispins
              and curls. (The video showed 2 helis, 1 curl.)
            • insanepsychoprincess <stormy_girl_14@yah
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003
                <evano0ohartley@y...> wrote:
                > I'm fairly new to Devil stix, and for christmas i recieved a pair
                of
                > Lunastix Masters...I can do the basics, like the tick tock,
                > helicopter, spin, and the spin toss...i've been wurking on the
                > Infinity Roll, and CAN'T DO IT!!!! And you HAVE to be able to do
                the
                > Infinity Roll do to most of the other advanced trix...can ne 1 help
                > me?!?!?!?

                Don't feel bad! I have been devil sticking almost a year and I cant
                do the infinity roll, instead I worko n coming up with my own tricks,
                and when I need an idea I look at the more advanced tricks.
              • insanepsychoprincess <stormy_girl_14@yah
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003