Re: [DevilStickForum] Re: devil sticks beginner

  • j bones
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002

      I don't think it is accurate at all to say that flower sticks allow less in the way of tricks. The two types of sticks are just different. I am skilled with both. I started on a pair of "traditional" tapered devilsticks and I didn't even really know about flower sticks for a few years. I did end up trying several pairs and trying them but I didn't care for them. Eventually, I picked up a handmade pair on Venice Beach, CA that I really loved. I used that pair almost exclusively for a couple years and lost it in Washington, DC on the fourth of July... (long story, that.) A few weeks later, I found a set of lunastix (www.lunastix.com) in a Discovery Store in Philly. I bought them and I've been a fan of lunastix ever since. It's a great brand.

      Some tricks are easier with tapered sticks and some are easier with flower sticks. Tapered sticks are generally faster and require a little more precision with the basic moves. Flower sticks are generally lighter and permit a wider variance in speed on many tricks. Flower sticks fit naturally for a style where the handles are almost always in contact with the baton. People who work with tapered sticks more tend to tap more, I think. (Taps usually sound better on the devils too.)

      In another post you asked about making tapered sticks more grippy. The first pair of sticks I had was a handmade tapered pair from a guy who used to sell them on Dead tour. I gave his girlfriend and him a place to stay for a couple of days, he gave me a set of sticks and taught me some basics thus changing my life forever.  (If you are out there Craig... THANKS!) Anyway, he used a heavy duty rubber electrical tape to wrap the baton in. It's better to wrap from the middle toward the ends. You should allow the tape to overlap itself a bit as you wrap. That gives a nice spiral groove that helps control your helispins and provide even more grip.

      Have fun getting started!

      By the way, any one here have any experience with contact juggling? I just bought some lacrosse balls and decided to learn...

       Jeffrey Ian Schreier <schreierj@...> wrote:

      Thanks to everyone who responded!  I am definitly enthusiastic about
      getting into it -- I am leaning towards the dubes --- i've read that
      the "flower sticks" (not the brand name - the sticks with the little
      pom pom-like heads on the ends) might be easier to learn on but allow
      much less in the way of tricks - is this accurate?

      Once again - thanks all!

      Jeff

      --- In DevilStickForum@y..., nlst118@c... wrote:
      > welcome to devil sticking jeff. I guess you could use the escrima
      sticks as hand sticks but I wouldn`t suggest it. todd strong makes a
      pretty good stic, with some good weight, but the dube`s are even
      heavier. I like a heavy set of sticks. I do a martial arts type
      routine with them that is a real good workout.think outside the box
      and you can do some extrodinary things good luck let me know how you
      progress

      >                     noelsta

      Do you Yahoo!?
      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

    • insanepsychoprincess <stormy_girl_14@yah
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2003
        --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Ian Schreier"
        <schreierj@y...> wrote:
        > Hi - I am a new member and I just had a quick question.
        >
        > First, I've never used devil-sticks before. I have recently begun
        > studying escrima, a stick-fighting martial art that uses 2 sticks.
        > friend mentioned that they thought that devil sticks could help me
        > develop hand-eye coordination so I thought I would give it a try.
        My
        > first question; is it possible to use devil sticks w/ thicker
        > sticks? Basically, I bought these to use in escrima:
        >
        > http://www.stickman-escrima.com/Products/Shadows.htm
        >
        > and was wondering if I would be able to use w/ devil sticks.
        >

        > Any help would be tremendous.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jeff

        Yes, I have mdae my own using thicker sticks and they work just fine.
        It gives you more weight, though the spin speed is slightly reduced.
      • el diablo hanson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003

          hello?