Re: [DevilStickForum] Re: devil sticks beginner

  • fiorastar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2002
      I'm not at home, but on my home computer I have some other pictures I could email you-they aren't on the website yet.

      You certainly could choose your colors of tape on any of the sticks. We have red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, and white. Handsticks are made with surgical tubing that is scrap from industry-we get whatever colors they send us. At the moment they are purple, green, and possibly some flourescent red left.

      Yours in Fun!
      Fiora Starchild
      www.FlowerSticks.com

      In a message dated 10/31/2002 2:14:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Jeffrey Ian Schreier" <schreierj@...> writes:

      >I looked at your website - do you have more pictures or choices of
      >sticks?  You have the 3 varieties (regular, barber-spiral effect, and
      >mylar - can you choose colors within those categories?)
      >
      >Also - do you have carrying cases or anything for them?
      >
      >thanks,
      >Jeff
      >

      >> It really depends on how the "flower stick" was designed and what
      >materials are used, etc.  It is true that most of the lighter juggle
      >sticks that people call "flower sticks" were really only designed for
      >beginners.  They tend to have too much "grab" to them to be able to
      >get much momentum going, and the typical floppy ends weigh the stick
      >down too much for it to keep going with a horizontal move, for
      >example.
      >>
      >> I haven't found this to be true with our FlowerSticks, because they
      >were always designed to be as much like the heavier, slicker devil
      >sticks as possible while still making them light enough to not hurt
      >yourself when trying a new move!  When we've taught classes with
      >FlowerSticks tm at juggling festivals, we've found the students
      >pretty much divide themselves into two groups initially-those who
      >have never done juggle sticks before, or are near beginners, and who
      >are thrilled to try out some of our lessons, and those who consider
      >themselves pretty advanced and at first scorn the FlowerSticks as
      >being "beginners only".  By the end of the class, though, it is often
      >the professional jugglers who are asking if they can buy a set of our
      >FlowerSticks because they can really slow down a complicated move-BUT
      >KEEP THE MOMENTUM-to learn it, but then they can also speed it up
      >again.  Some want to just use them as an aid in developing more
      >complicated tricks for their devil sticks, and some get into the
      >aspect of the flexibility and bounce our materials provide, as well
      >as the fact that they can do more graceful dancing moves with them-
      >that KEEP MOVING.  This is truly unique, I find, among the lighter
      >sticks.
      >>
      >> Yours in Fun!
      >> Fiora STarchild
      >> www.FlowerSticks.com

    • j bones
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002

        I don't think it is accurate at all to say that flower sticks allow less in the way of tricks. The two types of sticks are just different. I am skilled with both. I started on a pair of "traditional" tapered devilsticks and I didn't even really know about flower sticks for a few years. I did end up trying several pairs and trying them but I didn't care for them. Eventually, I picked up a handmade pair on Venice Beach, CA that I really loved. I used that pair almost exclusively for a couple years and lost it in Washington, DC on the fourth of July... (long story, that.) A few weeks later, I found a set of lunastix (www.lunastix.com) in a Discovery Store in Philly. I bought them and I've been a fan of lunastix ever since. It's a great brand.

        Some tricks are easier with tapered sticks and some are easier with flower sticks. Tapered sticks are generally faster and require a little more precision with the basic moves. Flower sticks are generally lighter and permit a wider variance in speed on many tricks. Flower sticks fit naturally for a style where the handles are almost always in contact with the baton. People who work with tapered sticks more tend to tap more, I think. (Taps usually sound better on the devils too.)

        In another post you asked about making tapered sticks more grippy. The first pair of sticks I had was a handmade tapered pair from a guy who used to sell them on Dead tour. I gave his girlfriend and him a place to stay for a couple of days, he gave me a set of sticks and taught me some basics thus changing my life forever.  (If you are out there Craig... THANKS!) Anyway, he used a heavy duty rubber electrical tape to wrap the baton in. It's better to wrap from the middle toward the ends. You should allow the tape to overlap itself a bit as you wrap. That gives a nice spiral groove that helps control your helispins and provide even more grip.

        Have fun getting started!

        By the way, any one here have any experience with contact juggling? I just bought some lacrosse balls and decided to learn...

         Jeffrey Ian Schreier <schreierj@...> wrote:

        Thanks to everyone who responded!  I am definitly enthusiastic about
        getting into it -- I am leaning towards the dubes --- i've read that
        the "flower sticks" (not the brand name - the sticks with the little
        pom pom-like heads on the ends) might be easier to learn on but allow
        much less in the way of tricks - is this accurate?

        Once again - thanks all!

        Jeff

        --- In DevilStickForum@y..., nlst118@c... wrote:
        > welcome to devil sticking jeff. I guess you could use the escrima
        sticks as hand sticks but I wouldn`t suggest it. todd strong makes a
        pretty good stic, with some good weight, but the dube`s are even
        heavier. I like a heavy set of sticks. I do a martial arts type
        routine with them that is a real good workout.think outside the box
        and you can do some extrodinary things good luck let me know how you
        progress

        >                     noelsta

        Do you Yahoo!?
        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

      • insanepsychoprincess <stormy_girl_14@yah
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2003
          --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Ian Schreier"
          <schreierj@y...> wrote:
          > Hi - I am a new member and I just had a quick question.
          >
          > First, I've never used devil-sticks before. I have recently begun
          > studying escrima, a stick-fighting martial art that uses 2 sticks.
          > friend mentioned that they thought that devil sticks could help me
          > develop hand-eye coordination so I thought I would give it a try.
          My
          > first question; is it possible to use devil sticks w/ thicker
          > sticks? Basically, I bought these to use in escrima:
          >
          > http://www.stickman-escrima.com/Products/Shadows.htm
          >
          > and was wondering if I would be able to use w/ devil sticks.
          >

          > Any help would be tremendous.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff

          Yes, I have mdae my own using thicker sticks and they work just fine.
          It gives you more weight, though the spin speed is slightly reduced.
        • el diablo hanson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003

            hello?