EJC Jolleystick Competition

  • Henning Wiescher
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2001
      During the European Juggling Convention 2001 in Rotterdam there will be the
      first jolleystick competition. Jolleystick is like volley ball or volley
      club, but played with a devilstick. The event is supported by sponsors -
      there will be nice prizes for the winners. The rules and more informations
      are available at http://www.devilstick.de/EJC_2001.htm.

      Henning.
    • Mikulas, Eric
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
        is this one player vs another player? or a team event?
        I've heard of people playing something like frizbee golf, but with devil sticks out on the west coast, but not volley ball! neat idea!

      • info@devilstick.de
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
          It's one player vs another - but it should work as a team game, too.
          Jolleystick is absolutely crazy ! Especially saw attacks like a top
          spin in table tennis...

          Do you know how this frizbee golf works ? Sounds cool.

          --- In DevilStickForum@y..., "Mikulas, Eric" <eric.mikulas@r...>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
            At the european juggling convention 1998 in Edinbourgh we did play
            devilstick football with maybe 20 devilstickers ! We changed the rule
            a little bit - it was allowed to run if you catched the devilstick
            with one handstick until you used the second one.

            > Frisbee football is you throw the Frisbee to a team mate and then
            that person has to stop running and throw it to another team mate.
            until you get to where you can score. the devil stick version is the
            same but with, well devil sticks :).
          • Mikulas, Eric
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
              that sounds like an awesome game!! makes me wish i knew more people who are into it here!

              too bad devil stick golf would be a par 20 :) else it could be fun!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                "Mikulas, Eric" <eric.mikulas@...> writes:

                > I've heard of people playing something like frizbee [football], but
                > with devil sticks out on the west coast,

                Jean Paul LaBrosse used to make and sell a devil stick made specifically
                for this game. He called them Tao Stix. They're extremely bouncy, so
                you can kick the stick or bounce it off your foot, arm, back, etc, and
                it goes super far. In other respects, it behaves like a flower stick.

                Henning Wiescher <henning@...> writes:

                > At the european juggling convention 1998 in Edinbourgh we did play
                > devilstick football with maybe 20 devilstickers!

                Wow! I was there. I can't believe I missed that.
              • info@devilstick.de
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                  --- In DevilStickForum@y..., Seth Golub <seth@a...> wrote:

                  > Henning Wiescher <henning@d...> writes:
                  >
                  > > At the european juggling convention 1998
                  > > in Edinbourgh we did play
                  > > devilstick football with maybe 20 devilstickers!
                  >
                  > Wow! I was there. I can't believe I missed that.

                  You have been there ?!?! Cool ! We were playing outside on the soccer
                  field. I remember it was just before one of the devilstick workshops.

                  Please take a look at
                  http://www.devilstick.de/info/conventions.htm#Bilder - there is a
                  (not so really good) picture with devilstickers who joined one of the
                  workshops in Edinbourgh 1998. Are you on this picture ?

                  Henning.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
                    info@... writes:

                    > Please take a look at
                    > http://www.devilstick.de/info/conventions.htm#Bilder - there is a
                    > (not so really good) picture with devilstickers who joined one of the
                    > workshops in Edinbourgh 1998. Are you on this picture ?

                    Yes. I'm in the front row, wearing a red shirt. Are you in there
                    too? None of those people looks like the one on your web site.

                    I have a similar picture. Mine came out a bit better.

                    http://www.aigeek.com/photos/1998-Scotland/Images/Large/2-09.jpg

                    Oddly, one of our pictures is reversed left-to-right. I think it's
                    yours, because I remember where we were facing, and it matches my
                    picture. :-)

                    I'm glad we posed for that. I used the photo once before, when talking
                    to Han Toan Lim in email. In the picture, he's the man next to me in
                    a white shirt. I saw him again last October at a festival Amsterdam.
                    He's got some great tricks that are quite different from what most other
                    people do. He's very creative.

                    I wish I could go to Rotterdam. Next year for sure!
                  • Henning Wiescher
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28, 2001
                      > > Please take a look at
                      > > http://www.devilstick.de/info/conventions.htm#Bilder - there is a
                      > > (not so really good) picture with devilstickers who joined one of
                      the
                      > > workshops in Edinbourgh 1998. Are you on this picture ?
                      >
                      > Yes. I'm in the front row, wearing a red shirt.

                      Hey cool !!!

                      > Are you in there
                      > too? None of those people looks like the one on your web site.

                      Right. I made the photos...

                      > I have a similar picture. Mine came out a bit better.
                      >
                      > http://www.aigeek.com/photos/1998-Scotland/Images/Large/2-09.jpg
                      >
                      > Oddly, one of our pictures is reversed left-to-right. I think it's
                      > yours, because I remember where we were facing, and it matches my
                      > picture. :-)

                      ups - you're right. Sure it happened when scanning my slide. I should
                      reverse it...

                      > I'm glad we posed for that. I used the photo once before, when
                      talking
                      > to Han Toan Lim in email. In the picture, he's the man next to me
                      in
                      > a white shirt. I saw him again last October at a festival
                      Amsterdam.
                      > He's got some great tricks that are quite different from what most
                      other
                      > people do. He's very creative.

                      Yes, indeed. He's a great person. I did meet him again at the Dutch
                      juggling conventions.

                      > I wish I could go to Rotterdam. Next year for sure!

                      I remember in Edinbourgh there were a few people playing two
                      devilsticks. But there was only one person who was able to play one
                      stick in the propeller plane and the other in the helicopter plane.
                      At that time I just started with two sticks and I was deeply
                      impressed. I'm sure it was you, or ?

                      Henning.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28, 2001
                        "Henning Wiescher" <info@...> writes:

                        > Right. I made the photos...

                        Oh, right. I forgot there must be someone behind the camera.

                        > there was only one person who was able to play one stick in the
                        > propeller plane and the other in the helicopter plane.

                        That is impressive. It wasn't me though. I don't do two.