Re: [DevilStickForum] Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2000
      pneruda@... writes:

      > Everyone is talking about how much Dube sucks and is difficult to
      > manipulate,

      Although I eventually switched to something lighter, I do think the
      Dube sticks are good in several ways. The shape is excellent, the
      construction is durable, and the weight has drawbacks but also
      advantages. A heavy stick is less subject to wind, which can be an
      issue when performing outdoors. It's a bit less nimble, but is also
      smoother and more consistent (because it's less sensitive to minor
      variations in handling).

      Some of my tricks, the ones that require quick changes of direction,
      are harder with a heavier stick. But the others are easier and look
      better with the heavy stick. Every now and then I pick up my old
      Trigon and am reminded of how much more fluid it is compared to what
      I'm used to now. I'm also reminded of how my hands aren't really in
      any shape to fling it around for an hour.

      Because of the added stability, I recommend Dube sticks for people
      just starting out, or for anyone else who wants a bit more fluidity at
      the cost of endurance and responsiveness.

      > I am in need of a new pair of sticks

      The best thing is to try a bunch of different ones and see what you
      like. Juggling festivals are good opportunities for that.

      I'd avoid Renegade, because I don't like the shape. I'd get something
      between 7oz and 9oz unless you know what you're doing and have reasons
      to venture toward the extremes. (I gave my ~6oz Todd Smith Mylar to
      someone who was having wrist problems.)

      I'm very happy with my sticks, but I got them at a festival and
      haven't seen the same model in any catalog, so I can't just point to
      something you could order. I'm not even sure of the brand, though I
      think they're Mr Babbache. Serious Juggling sells some of their
      sticks, though not the exact same ones.

      The only other sticks I've seen that I thought had the perfect size,
      shape, and weight are AJA, which I've only seen sold at European
      festivals. If you can find those anywhere, you've hit gold.

      If you're going to just pick something out of a catalog, you'll
      probably be fine with just about anything, as long as the weight is
      decent. I haven't seen any durability problems with any of the major
      brands.

      Tao sticks are fun if you can track them down (but you probably can't).

      So all of that is just about devil sticks. If you want flower sticks,
      I'd go for either Crystal Stix or Lunastix. I haven't seen anything
      else in their league. I like my Lunastix, but haven't tried Crystal
      Stix enough to compare them fairly.
    • pneruda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2000
        So, I take it then, I just hit
        gold......http://members.aol.com/semcycle/juggleq.html

        Ahhh, Webferret, is there anything he cannot find :-)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2000
          "pneruda" <pneruda@...> writes:

          > So, I take it then, I just hit
          > gold......http://members.aol.com/semcycle/juggleq.html