Making fire sticks

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10 1:09 AM
      Someone just asked me how to make a good fire stick. I wish I knew.
      I've only made a bad one, but maybe we can all learn what not to do.
      Mine is aluminum tubing covered in a silicone sheath (taken off a
      handstick), with short wooden dowels in the ends for the wick to screw
      into. It's bad in three ways:

      1. The balance is all wrong. It needs more weird towards the
      ends. It's too much like a plain stick, which makes it hard to
      spin.

      2. The metal shaft vibrates when struck, which feels bad, and gets
      hot from the fire.

      3. The silicone cover provides great traction until it's covered in
      soot, which doesn't take long, and then it's worthless.

      I think next time I'd use a wooden shaft, cover it with metal tape to
      protect the wood, and then cover the metal tape with something textured
      like cloth tape (like you'd find on hockey sticks). The cloth tape
      would get burned and would need to be replaced periodically, but that's
      a small price to pay for decent traction, which professional sticks just
      don't achieve. (They use metal tape, which gets slick when covered in
      soot.) I'd also probably want to weight the ends with something.

      But, not having done all that, I might be unaware of some problems
      with those ideas.

      Maybe I'll try making one this summmer.
    • Noomi Ljungdell
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 4:10 AM
        Hi!
        how many types of different firesticks there is? is there like something
        closer to flowersticks also, while my 'noideawhatitis'devil- model of a
        firesticks is killing my arms while it's kind of a heavy and hard to handle
        cause of the slippery tape that it's covered. just curious if someone
        knows... yeah,it's summertime soon again up here in scandinavia, wakiewakie
        sticksie;)

        Peace - Noomi

        >Someone just asked me how to make a good fire stick. I wish I knew.
        >I've only made a bad one, but maybe we can all learn what not to do.
        >Mine is aluminum tubing covered in a silicone sheath (taken off a
        >handstick), with short wooden dowels in the ends for the wick to screw
        >into. It's bad in three ways:
        >
        > 1. The balance is all wrong. It needs more weird towards the
        > ends. It's too much like a plain stick, which makes it hard to
        > spin.
        >
        > 2. The metal shaft vibrates when struck, which feels bad, and gets
        > hot from the fire.
        >
        > 3. The silicone cover provides great traction until it's covered in
        > soot, which doesn't take long, and then it's worthless.
        >
        >I think next time I'd use a wooden shaft, cover it with metal tape to
        >protect the wood, and then cover the metal tape with something textured
        >like cloth tape (like you'd find on hockey sticks). The cloth tape
        >would get burned and would need to be replaced periodically, but that's
        >a small price to pay for decent traction, which professional sticks just
        >don't achieve. (They use metal tape, which gets slick when covered in
        >soot.) I'd also probably want to weight the ends with something.
        >
        >But, not having done all that, I might be unaware of some problems
        >with those ideas.
        >
        >Maybe I'll try making one this summmer.

      • Chan Ti Eu
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 8:29 AM
          To reduce soot considerably, try using lamp oil instead of kerosene.... :)

          Ti Eu

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10 9:20 AM
            "Chan Ti Eu" <Ti-eu@...> writes:

            > To reduce soot considerably, try using lamp oil instead of kerosene.... :)

            Yeah, kerosene is awful. I use white gas (Coleman camping fuel, in
            the US). It's much less sooty and smelly than kerosene, but burns
            brighter than lamp oil. I think lamp oil is cleaner and burns longer
            though. I've heard of people mixing the two to get a compromise.

            "Noomi Ljungdell" <skamaria@...> writes:

            > how many types of different firesticks there is? is there like
            > something closer to flowersticks

            I tried one homemade fire stick that handled much more like a flower
            stick, but all the others I've seen have been the heavy and slippery
            beasts we're all familiar with. That other one was great though, so I
            know it's possible to make a good one. I just need to figure out how
            to copy it.
          • fiorastar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 10 10:56 AM
              We've been trying a few different things, starting with our regular
              Flowersticks tm as a base-they are made with hollow fiberglass as the core of
              the center baton, and the handsticks are solid fiberglass covered in natural
              latex tubing. We cover the baton with a cork-embedded polymer nonskid
              (unfortunately it's not available commercially-we buy it in $300 orders of
              many rolls at a time). But this stuff doesn't burn and will stay "grippy".

              On the ends, we've tried a few different things to protect the basic core
              stick:

              We usually grommet heavy leather cups to the ends of our sticks, so for fire
              sticks, we've grommetted tunafish cans instead. Inside the tuna cans, you
              can rig the wicking, or you can wrap it around the tuna cans. That way the
              fire doesn't come in direct contact with the fiberglass. The cans will get
              somewhat hot, but aluminum is a good heat sink, so it will last for awhile.
              This needs some work, though.

              It's important to use "White Gas", rather than kerosene or something else as
              your fuel. This is the stuff that professional jugglers use so they can have
              their balls light their heads on fire without burning themselves. It burns
              much cooler. You can get it at juggling supply places.

              That's about it for hints that I have.

              Yours in Fun!
              Fiora Starchild,
              Co-owner, Further Realms of Fun!
              www.Flowersticks.com

              "If you're having fun, You're doing it right!" (copyright)

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10 9:29 PM
                Hi!

                about the fuels; can you name the fuel that burns in more of a light
                greenish color then lamp oil that gives the more common yellow flame. the
                green flame also seem to be a lot more brighter?