Re: Devil Stickin'

  • nlst118@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 3:46 AM
      --- In DevilStickForum@y..., PaulHRDI@a... wrote:
      > Hey,
      > I first came in contact with "Devil Sticks" in 1992 at the
      Ohio
      > Renaissance Festival, in Waynesville, OH. The sticks they had
      there were
      > made of wooden dowl rods with colored rubber exteriors. Both ends
      of the
      > baton where capped with a tennis ball covered in a velvet-like
      cloth. These
      > were excellent beginner sticks, but looked kinda silly. I quickly
      broke
      > these while on vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
      > For about two years, I did not have any sticks whatsoever.
      Then, in
      > helping my brother's girlfriend move, she offered me an old set,
      similar to
      > my original, but her cat had "attacked" them. The tennis balls
      were covered
      > with a stupid vegas jackpot design, and the red rubber on the
      sticks had been
      > chewed up by her cat, but they got me interested again. I started
      juggling
      > the ugly sticks on breaks at work, wowing many people with the few
      sloppy
      > tricks I knew.
      > Last Christmas My Fiance of 4 years found a set of LunaStix
      brand
      > Flower sticks at Natural Wonders in the mall. These sticks are
      awesome! I
      > am juggling more than ever now, and have developed quite a nack for
      it, so I
      > decided to look online for a little help. This is where I became
      aware of
      > the difference between Devil Sticks and Flower sticks. I would
      like to
      > advance to Devil Sticks in the future, but I am happy with the
      results that I
      > have been able to get with these sticks.
      > I am still working on a couple of things: I have a hard
      time keeping
      > a helicopter spin flat, I tend to favor my right hand in all
      tricks, and I
      > keep catching the tassles on the end of the stick when I take the
      handstick
      > in and out of a propeller spin. I guess it just all comes with
      practice.
      > Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know where I am coming
      from, and
      > also how much I appreciate all the information that people have put
      on the
      > internet about Devil Sticks. I am very open to tips, new tricks,
      and any
      > information that you might have.. so TALK TO ME! Thanks,
      >
      > Paul Hannon
      > PaulHRDI@a...
      >
      > P.S. If anyone knows anything about a juggling convention around
      Cincy, OH
      > let me know!

      well I have always found the slowness of the flower stick to be very
      limiting.in the helicopter spin you need a little speed.There is
      actually a way of starting and maintaning {indefinatly},the
      helicopter spin with just one hand.Very hard trick, I`ve never met
      anyone else who can do it.also with the devil stick there are no
      tassells to get in your way.It may be a hard switch, But I think
      you`ll progress a lot faster if you loose the flower stick.I`ve got a
      cloth set of Todd Smith`s that I love www.stressball.com .cloth
      seems to be less slippery when wet.good luck Noelsta
    • fiorastar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 8:22 PM
        I have a different solution.

        Try out our Flowersticks-the originals, by Further Realms of Fun! We have
        been making them longer than anyone else-they were the original light sticks
        on Dead tour, for example, and they DON'T HAVE TASSLES!!!

        We use a patented leather cup design that looks similar to a tulip. The
        leather is recycled scrap from belt makers, mostly, so it's very thick and
        durable, though fairly soft. The cup design makes the ends very
        aerodynamic-unlike the tassled ones.

        Also, we found that fiberglass tubing was far superior to wooden dowels for
        several reasons. First, of course, they are almost impossible to break,
        although they are still light enough to be harmless.
        Second, they are very kickable. The best part, once you get used to it,
        though, is the flex they have. They tend to be springy, so they bounce
        easily off your foot, head, whatever-and that spring helps them keep moving
        when you get them turning in a helicopter.

        Finally, instead of the standard types of rubber or leather wrapping on most
        "flower sticks" (Our use of that name actually was the first and was once
        trademarked-it's a translation of the ancient Chinese name for juggle
        sticks), we use a special cork-embedded poly grip tape that gives enough
        friction to make it easy to keep the baton on your handsticks, but still
        allows enough slip to help keep your momentum going.

        I've also had trouble keeping a helicopter spin going with other light
        sticks, but we solved the problems related to materials on this years ago.

        I really don't mean to be advertising blatantly, but I do honestly think our
        Flowersticks are the best available for the intermediate player who prefers
        light sticks-or I wouldn't be making them. I've played with alot of other
        sticks, and I think the only other ones I'd recommend would be the
        Crystalstyx-but they tend to slow down a bit more because of the material
        they use for nonskid coating on the baton.

        Check us out if you want to-we're just getting our website up now-
        www.Flowersticks.com

        Yours in Fun,
        Fiora Starchild,
        Co-owner, Further Realms of Fun!