HELP!!! :)

  • Sasha2199@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2001
      Hey I'm new to this group I thought you all could help me out.

      I'm giving a speech for a class about devils sticks (origin/ how to
      make them) and I need more information. If anyone knows of a good
      site or wants to be quoted I'd really appreciate it. I've had a
      couple sets of sticks made for me by friends and I love to see all
      the new design tech.s that I've been seeing lately
    • sampatel_1998@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
        I bought a pair in Goa that were made using steel pipes and rubber.
        The handsticks were make of steel pipes 1/2 inch in diameter. The
        rubber was wrapped along the pipe candycane style and taped at the
        ends with electric tape. The main stick is thicker 3/4 to 1 inch .
        It was wrapped in a similar fashion, the rubber was a little wider
        too. At the ends of the main stick, a 2 to 3 inch width piece of
        rubber was wrapped and overlapped several times and taped off. This
        makes the sticks thicker at ends.
        You can use colored tape /stickers to design the stick. I got
        them from a traveler who just carried around the rubber and tape and
        found the other supplies where ever he was. Not a bad way to make a
        living.
        Also check out Seth and his Devil Sticks Page,
        http://www.aigeek.com/devil-stick/

      • fiorastar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
          In a message dated 2/22/2001 1:06:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          sampatel_1998@... writes:

          << The handsticks were make of steel pipes 1/2 inch in diameter. The
          rubber was wrapped along the pipe candycane style and taped at the
          ends with electric tape. The main stick is thicker 3/4 to 1 inch .
          It was wrapped in a similar fashion, the rubber was a little wider
          too. At the ends of the main stick, a 2 to 3 inch width piece of
          rubber was wrapped and overlapped several times and taped off. This
          makes the sticks thicker at ends.

          Wow, STEEL?!?! Seems like that would be pretty hard on the arms and wrists
          with much playing, not to mention your head if it hits you. If you'd like to
          see a set of sticks that is VERY playable, and unbreakable (I imagine that is
          the benefit to using steel), check out www.Flowersticks.com.

          My partner, Phoenix, and I have been making these for over 11 years, and the
          design has been in development since the original version over 26 years ago.

          We use recycled scrap for much of the materials, but they do not wear out,
          like the rubber tubing does on the described set, they have great
          aerodynamics, unlike the fringed sets, they are flexible and harmless, unlike
          the wooden or steel ones, and can go fast, slow, get kicked real high, etc.

          They do tend to be a bit light for some avowed Devilstickers, but many, once
          they have played with them, find that Flowersticks are the only lighter
          version of juggle stick that works really well to develop new tricks before
          transferring them to Devil sticks. The others tend to be too light, or too
          slowed down by the fringes.

          Yours in Fun,

          Fiora Starchild,
          Further Realms of Fun!

          P.,S. I also recommend Seth-I haven't played with his sticks yet, but I like
          him alot as a person.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
            fiorastar@... writes:

            > I also recommend Seth-I haven't played with his sticks yet,

            Thanks. I've never actually made normal sticks though. I made one
            fire stick, but I'm not happy with it. The grip isn't very good, and
            it vibrates. I have ideas for the next version, but haven't put those
            ideas to the test yet.

            My other props have been more successful, but I've only made prototypes
            for myself: fire handsticks, a few devil's triangles, strung handsticks
            (like diabolo handsticks, but with grip), and a 3-sectioned handstick.
            I love all of them. The fire handsticks are pure fun, but the others
            are tricky to use.

            I'm constructing a new triangle right now. This one will be more
            durable than the previous model, but is a lot harder to make. (I'm
            using wood, screws, and glue instead of PVC and stranded tape.)

            Photos and video clips coming as soon as I have time to clean them up.
            Too many projects... :-)