Re: [DevilStickForum] silicon

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
      Darren <dag@...> writes:

      > Has anyone found any sources for the silicon tubing they use on
      > lunastix? I want to make my own fire stick...

      I looked around a bit a while back and didn't find the right stuff,
      but we know it's out there...

      Are you sure you want to use silicone for a fire stick though? I've
      tried it, and I found that it got slippery too fast from the soot. I
      thought maybe something textured would work better, but I never found
      quite the right thing. I only tried a few materials though. It's been
      several years since my experiments, but I wrote up a bit here:

      http://www.sethoscope.net/devil-stick/fire.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
        hmmm nothing is ever simple... does anyone know where to get the
        tubing anyway? I find with lunastix it isnt easy to do end tricks
        (balancing on end of stick) as the tassles wrap around hand sticks, so i
        wanna make a bit longer so I can screw pads on end. Also the colours are
        rubbish (fiberglass type) ... i want day glo so I can play more at sunset.

        Has anyone tried weighted hand sticks? thought they may be good for hand
        stick tricks and possible more control....
        Darren

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
          Darren <dag@...> writes:

          > hmmm nothing is ever simple... does anyone know where to get the
          > tubing anyway?

          When you find out, let us know!

          > I find with lunastix it isnt easy to do end tricks (balancing on end
          > of stick) as the tassles wrap around hand sticks, so i wanna make a
          > bit longer so I can screw pads on end.

          Nice. So, it'll still have tassels, but a landing pad will stick out
          past them?

          > Has anyone tried weighted hand sticks? thought they may be good for
          > hand stick tricks and possible more control....

          I haven't run across that, but it sounds promising. It might open up
          some neat flourishes that are just too hard with unweighted sticks.

          I tried weighting a home-made fire stick by screwing washers into the
          end. The little screw eventually tore out (flinging heated washers
          everywhere), but it would probably last longer in handsticks. Even
          if it's not a good permanent solution, it would be an easy way to
          experiment with different weights.

          Come to think of it, I did use single washers for my fire handsticks,
          just to keep the wick in place.. I have to tighten the screw every
          now and then, but it's never torn out.
          http://www.sethoscope.net/devil-stick/fire-handsticks.html

          Keep us posted!