silicon

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hiya all
      Has anyone found any sources for the silicon tubing they use on
      lunastix? I want to make my own fire stick...

      Darren
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
        Darren <dag@...> writes:

        > Has anyone found any sources for the silicon tubing they use on
        > lunastix? I want to make my own fire stick...

        I looked around a bit a while back and didn't find the right stuff,
        but we know it's out there...

        Are you sure you want to use silicone for a fire stick though? I've
        tried it, and I found that it got slippery too fast from the soot. I
        thought maybe something textured would work better, but I never found
        quite the right thing. I only tried a few materials though. It's been
        several years since my experiments, but I wrote up a bit here:

        http://www.sethoscope.net/devil-stick/fire.html
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
          hmmm nothing is ever simple... does anyone know where to get the
          tubing anyway? I find with lunastix it isnt easy to do end tricks
          (balancing on end of stick) as the tassles wrap around hand sticks, so i
          wanna make a bit longer so I can screw pads on end. Also the colours are
          rubbish (fiberglass type) ... i want day glo so I can play more at sunset.

          Has anyone tried weighted hand sticks? thought they may be good for hand
          stick tricks and possible more control....
          Darren

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
            Darren <dag@...> writes:

            > hmmm nothing is ever simple... does anyone know where to get the
            > tubing anyway?

            When you find out, let us know!

            > I find with lunastix it isnt easy to do end tricks (balancing on end
            > of stick) as the tassles wrap around hand sticks, so i wanna make a
            > bit longer so I can screw pads on end.

            Nice. So, it'll still have tassels, but a landing pad will stick out
            past them?

            > Has anyone tried weighted hand sticks? thought they may be good for
            > hand stick tricks and possible more control....

            I haven't run across that, but it sounds promising. It might open up
            some neat flourishes that are just too hard with unweighted sticks.

            I tried weighting a home-made fire stick by screwing washers into the
            end. The little screw eventually tore out (flinging heated washers
            everywhere), but it would probably last longer in handsticks. Even
            if it's not a good permanent solution, it would be an easy way to
            experiment with different weights.

            Come to think of it, I did use single washers for my fire handsticks,
            just to keep the wick in place.. I have to tighten the screw every
            now and then, but it's never torn out.
            http://www.sethoscope.net/devil-stick/fire-handsticks.html

            Keep us posted!