Re: [DevilStickForum] Re: Hello

  • Daryl Hrdlicka
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
      I've noticed that as well, when I'm performing and I mess up and make about 5 awkward saves in a row and people ooh and aah and wonder how I got so good at it!  I think it's mainly a matter of whether you know what it SHOULD look like or not.

      -Daryl

      --- On Mon, 11/30/09, Katie <ctoagea@...> wrote:
      To Z
      "I've always adhered to the principal that until the stick hits the ground, "It was a trick!" and "I meant to do that!" Fluidity of motion comes with practice in general, not with repetition of one move." That seems to be very true with devil sticking!  Just keeping the stick off the ground is great practice and you do learn a lot more that way it seems

    • t1ifan@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
        thanks.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 19, 2010
          Hi all
          I find the task of learning something new to be fascinating, and have
          come with a few rules that seem to work for me and a few others i have
          passed it on to.

          If you are learning a new trick, avoid making the same mistakes again
          and again. Try something else. Anything is better than reinforcing the
          bad habit!.. do something wrong 5 times and you have to work twice as
          hard to remedy it, do it for 20 days and you will carry it around with
          you forever! (easy to apply, be intelligent with your body)

          If its not working out, do something else and come back to it in a few
          minutes. (hard to apply, we think we are making progress if we work at
          it. A few good go's is infinitely better than a bad session)

          Lastly, be clever with your own learning curves, often you plod along
          practicing your moves, then suddenly it all gets better, you learn new
          stuff, it feels great for a few days, then you reach a plateau again,
          and plod along until the next burst. Like a series of steps. Well try to
          keep the burst going, do it as much as possible, and when not doing it,
          do it in your head instead. Find the zone...

          I have no qualifications on the subject nor have i done any research
          whatsoever, therefor i could be talking a complete load of bollox! I am
          however rather good with the stix (over 13 years)...

          ttfn
          Darren