Re: [DevilStickForum] Re: Hello

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2009
      I haven't ever done fire devil sticks before, but my friend spins poi and he seems to really like kerosene i'm pretty sure thats what its called you can get it at any hardware store and it burns pretty long and clean too without the black smoke.

      Does any one have any pointers on catching the baton behind your back?  Like throwing it and stalling it behind your back?  I've been trying to get that one down but can't seem to stall it

      Thanks everyone! It's good to see this forum active again

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
        I've been lighting my sticks on fire for a while now. Paraffin (lamp oil) is good for beginners, but smokes alot. White gas (coleman camp fuel) is great, but burns hotter and can be dangerous for beginners. I've also tried a mix of bio diesel and white gas which is great for practice. It smokes a lot but burns for a really long time.

        -Z

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
          Learning specific tricks seems to be different for each individual, so above all use what works for you. Having said that, the way I learned it was by first learning to do a single turn. Then when I made a mistake using that to go further until my mistakes lasted longer and longer. Eventually it was the final trick.

          I've always adhered to the principal that until the stick hits the ground, "It was a trick!" and "I meant to do that!" Fluidity of motion comes with practice in general, not with repetition of one move.

          -Z

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
            To Z
            "I've always adhered to the principal that until the stick hits the ground, "It was a trick!" and "I meant to do that!" Fluidity of motion comes with practice in general, not with repetition of one move." That seems to be very true with devil sticking!  Just keeping the stick off the ground is great practice and you do learn a lot more that way it seems

            KT

            Learning specific tricks seems to be different for each individual, so above all use what works for you. Having said that, the way I learned it was by first learning to do a single turn. Then when I made a mistake using that to go further until my mistakes lasted longer and longer. Eventually it was the final trick.

            I've always adhered to the principal that until the stick hits the ground, "It was a trick!" and "I meant to do that!" Fluidity of motion comes with practice in general, not with repetition of one move.

            -Z

            --- In DevilStickForum@ yahoogroups. com, "t1ifan@..." <t1ifan@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the warm welcome. I am kinda stuck on learning the propellor. I have been able to get most of the beginner things down....and am afraid that I wont be able to move on to intermediate until I get the propellor down. I think part of my problem is knowing when to give the light tap/lift...I have managed to practice it w/o breaking any bones...which is good for me...haha... .
            >
            > Thnx and g'luck. :)
            >
            > --- In DevilStickForum@ yahoogroups. com, "gerardckemmy" <gerardckemmy@ > wrote:
            > >

            > > hey gin,
            > >
            > > glad to have you aboard!
            > >
            > > is there anything that you are stuck on? there are plenty of people here who are able (and willing, hopefully) to help you out.
            > >
            > > on the subject of help, whats the best substance to use to light your sticks? I have tried petrol, methanol and lighter fluid. Am gonna try lamp oil next, any suggestions?
            > >
            > > Ger
            > >

            > > --- In DevilStickForum@ yahoogroups. com, "t1ifan@" <t1ifan@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi. My name is Gin and I just started using Flower sticks a few months ago. I really look forward to learning tips and talking with those more (and even less) experienced who also love the sport. Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday/week end.

          • Daryl Hrdlicka
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
              I've noticed that as well, when I'm performing and I mess up and make about 5 awkward saves in a row and people ooh and aah and wonder how I got so good at it!  I think it's mainly a matter of whether you know what it SHOULD look like or not.

              -Daryl

            • t1ifan@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                thanks.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2010
                  Hi all
                  I find the task of learning something new to be fascinating, and have
                  come with a few rules that seem to work for me and a few others i have
                  passed it on to.

                  If you are learning a new trick, avoid making the same mistakes again
                  and again. Try something else. Anything is better than reinforcing the
                  bad habit!.. do something wrong 5 times and you have to work twice as
                  hard to remedy it, do it for 20 days and you will carry it around with
                  you forever! (easy to apply, be intelligent with your body)

                  If its not working out, do something else and come back to it in a few
                  minutes. (hard to apply, we think we are making progress if we work at
                  it. A few good go's is infinitely better than a bad session)

                  Lastly, be clever with your own learning curves, often you plod along
                  practicing your moves, then suddenly it all gets better, you learn new
                  stuff, it feels great for a few days, then you reach a plateau again,
                  and plod along until the next burst. Like a series of steps. Well try to
                  keep the burst going, do it as much as possible, and when not doing it,
                  do it in your head instead. Find the zone...

                  I have no qualifications on the subject nor have i done any research
                  whatsoever, therefor i could be talking a complete load of bollox! I am
                  however rather good with the stix (over 13 years)...

                  ttfn
                  Darren