Re: Fire show with some devil sticks

  • the_tarper
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2009
      If by lunastix you mean flowersticks (sticks with tassels), the sticks I use are called hotstix ( http://www.hotstix.biz/ ) that are modified to be safe at shows (see below). West coast juggling also has them, though I haven't seen their sticks, so I don't know if they're safe with crowds.

      The following link shows the chain setup that replaces tassels for fire sticks.

      It's a light weight chain. You can buy it at any hardware store. The chains are attached to a washer which has holes drilled into the perimeter.

      Safety is always the first concern with fire sticks. Check several things. The wicks must not be allowed to fall off either through being prevented by a coder pin or by destroying the threads yourself with a pair of pliers or similar so the retaining nut can't spin freely off your stick. Second, the wicks being attached to a single unit. Look for a rod running through the whole stick. If it unscrews on each side, it's no good (Glue is no good either, metal expands and breaks the seal when heated). Third, be good enough at the trick you perform. Do not try any trick with a crowd if you might loose your stick into the audience, Ever. Fourth, always have a safety person. This video almost never showed the crowd. The people milling about in the background are performers who aren't performing and are acting as safeties. They have wet blankets to put the performers out, as well as the audience, if need be.

      Another safety tip. Wear natural clothes (cotton or wool). Synthetics catch fire easily and melt on your skin. Your skin is really hard to catch fire, but polyester can do the job if it lights up.

      Otherwise, don't be concerned about trying tricks out if you have a safety. If wearing the right clothes, you will only loose a little hair if you screw up. Find a fire spinning group in your area. Poi is really popular right now, and those people are fine with devil stickers.

      Good sticking.
      Z-

      P.S. Apologies to the lady who's husband invented flowersticks. I know you don't like us using the term generally, but we don't have another one for those types of sticks.