Re: Flowerstick Physics

  • Daryl Hrdlicka
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2007
      --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "the_tarper" <the_tarper@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't think that the grippiness of the stick affects its speed much.

      Not the speed of the stick, true. I guess I was thinking more in
      terms of the speed of your tricks. Since it doesn't bounce away from
      the handsticks, it slows down all the tricks.

      > Also, the tassels have the additional affect of making the stick not
      > roll as easily because they lower its center of gravity.

      Not sure what you mean there, having a hard time visualizing it.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2007
        I think there are other considerations here, true the centre of gravity
        is below the stick centre due to the tassles hanging down, but it is
        also the flatness of each tassle that makes it reluctant to twist and
        flap over. I think the effect would be much reduced if you used string
        like tassles. Also the leather provides excellent friction making it
        even harder to flap over.

        the lunastix do have a couple of serious flaws tho, first, the tassles
        prevent most end balance tricks that are my favourite tricks with the
        devil stick, and second, flower stix just dont bounce on the knee.

        1 more thing, if want the ultimate bag for ur stix then look at the
        manfrotto modo bag, expensive but the quality is excellent.

        > --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "the_tarper" <the_tarper@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> I don't think that the grippiness of the stick affects its speed much.
        >>

        > Not the speed of the stick, true. I guess I was thinking more in
        > terms of the speed of your tricks. Since it doesn't bounce away from
        > the handsticks, it slows down all the tricks.
        >

        >> Also, the tassels have the additional affect of making the stick not
        >> roll as easily because they lower its center of gravity.
        >>

        > Not sure what you mean there, having a hard time visualizing it.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Daryl Hrdlicka
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2007
          --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@...> wrote:

          > I think there are other considerations here, true the centre of gravity
          > is below the stick centre due to the tassles hanging down,

          Still having trouble getting this part. Can you explain it better?

          > but it is also the flatness of each tassle that makes it reluctant
          to twist and
          > flap over.

          Good point. More air resistance.

          I think the effect would be much reduced if you used string
          > like tassles. Also the leather provides excellent friction making it
          > even harder to flap over.

          > the lunastix do have a couple of serious flaws tho, first, the tassles
          > prevent most end balance tricks that are my favourite tricks with the
          > devil stick, and second, flower stix just dont bounce on the knee.

          I can see that, yeah. Problem is, right now I have the coordination
          of yoru average scarecrow, I NEED the flowersticks! Have to have it
          slow so I can see what I'm doing. I just got the devilstick book by
          Todd Strong, I saw some of the balancing tricks you're talking about.

          > 1 more thing, if want the ultimate bag for ur stix then look at the
          > manfrotto modo bag, expensive but the quality is excellent.

          Have a link for it?

          -Daryl
        • the_tarper
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2007
            --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Hrdlicka"
            <darylhrdlicka@...> wrote:

            > --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think there are other considerations here, true the centre of
            gravity
            > > is below the stick centre due to the tassles hanging down,
            >
            > Still having trouble getting this part. Can you explain it better?

            The tassels lower the center of gravity so that the stick won't roll
            easily. Think of a bottle on it's side. The center of gravity is near
            the center of the bottle so it rolls easily. Now fill the bottle half
            full of sand. The bottle will now resist forces causing it to roll
            because doing so requires that the sand inside has to be raised and
            shifted around.

            You can see the effect with your flower sticks by placing the center
            stick flat on top of the two control sticks, and then inclining the
            control sticks. The center stick will not roll until a fairly steep
            angle, and in the case of some sticks won't roll at all under the
            force of gravity alone (the stick eventually starts to slide).

            > > but it is also the flatness of each tassle that makes it reluctant
            > to twist and
            > > flap over.
            >
            > Good point. More air resistance.
            >
            > I think the effect would be much reduced if you used string
            > > like tassles. Also the leather provides excellent friction making it
            > > even harder to flap over.

            True. Another good option is small chains. I use these on my fire
            sticks. It's not as effective, but it does work.

            > > the lunastix do have a couple of serious flaws tho, first, the
            tassles
            > > prevent most end balance tricks that are my favourite tricks with the
            > > devil stick, and second, flower stix just dont bounce on the knee.
            >
            > I can see that, yeah. Problem is, right now I have the coordination
            > of yoru average scarecrow, I NEED the flowersticks! Have to have it
            > slow so I can see what I'm doing. I just got the devilstick book by
            > Todd Strong, I saw some of the balancing tricks you're talking about.
            >
            > > 1 more thing, if want the ultimate bag for ur stix then look at the
            > > manfrotto modo bag, expensive but the quality is excellent.
            >
            > Have a link for it?
            >
            > -Daryl

          • Daryl Hrdlicka
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
              wrote:

              > The tassels lower the center of gravity so that the stick won't roll
              > easily. Think of a bottle on it's side. The center of gravity is near
              > the center of the bottle so it rolls easily. Now fill the bottle half
              > full of sand. The bottle will now resist forces causing it to roll
              > because doing so requires that the sand inside has to be raised and
              > shifted around.

              Thanks, Zac. That makes sense now. So basically it's that weight is
              out (away) from the core of the stick, making it "wider" (for lack of
              a better term). A skater with her arms and legs in spins very fast,
              if she puts her arms out she slows down. Hadn't considered it in
              terms of center of gravity, but never really took physics.

              > You can see the effect with your flower sticks by placing the center
              > stick flat on top of the two control sticks, and then inclining the
              > control sticks. The center stick will not roll until a fairly steep
              > angle, and in the case of some sticks won't roll at all under the
              > force of gravity alone (the stick eventually starts to slide).

              I've got a set like that. Turns out they're NOT LunaStix, tho. Seems
              I have Crystal Stix. But yeah, that's exactly the way they act.

              > > I think the effect would be much reduced if you used string
              > > > like tassles. Also the leather provides excellent friction
              making it
              > > > even harder to flap over.
              >
              > True. Another good option is small chains. I use these on my fire
              > sticks. It's not as effective, but it does work.

              So you use chain tassels to slow down the firesticks? I've never seen
              that on any online, is it something you came up with?

              -Daryl
            • the_tarper
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
                <darylhrdlicka@...> wrote:

                > --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "the_tarper" <the_tarper@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > The tassels lower the center of gravity so that the stick won't roll
                > > easily. Think of a bottle on it's side. The center of gravity is near
                > > the center of the bottle so it rolls easily. Now fill the bottle half
                > > full of sand. The bottle will now resist forces causing it to roll
                > > because doing so requires that the sand inside has to be raised and
                > > shifted around.
                >
                > Thanks, Zac. That makes sense now. So basically it's that weight is
                > out (away) from the core of the stick, making it "wider" (for lack of
                > a better term). A skater with her arms and legs in spins very fast,
                > if she puts her arms out she slows down. Hadn't considered it in
                > terms of center of gravity, but never really took physics.

                The skater idea applies to how the sticks roll slowly once they get
                started rolling. What I'm talking about is the static rolling
                resistance, that is how hard it is to get the sticks rolling in the
                first place.

                > > You can see the effect with your flower sticks by placing the center
                > > stick flat on top of the two control sticks, and then inclining the
                > > control sticks. The center stick will not roll until a fairly steep
                > > angle, and in the case of some sticks won't roll at all under the
                > > force of gravity alone (the stick eventually starts to slide).
                >
                > I've got a set like that. Turns out they're NOT LunaStix, tho. Seems
                > I have Crystal Stix. But yeah, that's exactly the way they act.

                I've got a set of Crystal Stix too, they're great.

                > > > I think the effect would be much reduced if you used string
                > making it
                > >
                > > True. Another good option is small chains. I use these on my fire
                > > sticks. It's not as effective, but it does work.
                >
                > So you use chain tassels to slow down the firesticks? I've never seen
                > that on any online, is it something you came up with?

                No, I got the chain idea from a set of "Hot Sticks".

                http://www.hotstix.biz/

                Hot Sticks are great for control, but the construction is absolute
                crap. They broke 3 out of 4 times I lit them, so I can't recommend
                them at all. I took the chains off them and put them on a set of Blue
                Radical Fish Fire Devil Stick.

                http://www.oddballs.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1199_1277_1645&products_id=905

                This worked out pretty well. I'll try to get a picture of them up at
                some point.

                -Zac