Making your own

  • Daryl Hrdlicka
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hey, everyone. I'm just getting into using devil/flower sticks, and
      have been working on making my own. Everywhere I've seen people
      describe their own, though, they're wildly different. Is there a
      "standard" size/weight for the sticks? Or are they just whatever they
      are, and you get used to the set you have?

      Thanks for any help, Daryl

      p.s. Can't the administrator or someone clean out the spam in here?
      It looks like a really interesting site, but it gets tiring sliogging
      through the garbage looking for the real posts.
    • iamahipo_ocolor
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
        --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Hrdlicka" <darylhrdlicka@...> wrote:

        > Hey, everyone. I'm just getting into using devil/flower sticks, and
        > have been working on making my own. Everywhere I've seen people
        > describe their own, though, they're wildly different. Is there a
        > "standard" size/weight for the sticks? Or are they just whatever they
        > are, and you get used to the set you have?
        >
        > Thanks for any help, Daryl
        >
        > p.s. Can't the administrator or someone clean out the spam in here?
        > It looks like a really interesting site, but it gets tiring sliogging
        > through the garbage looking for the real posts.

        I think basically you get used to what ever stick you have, I have a heavy (tri -something
        brand) devil stick, and a lunastix flower stick set. I am 12, and the tri-something set is a
        bit heavy, but hoping It gets easier as I get oldr ;). but yah, do what ever wieght feels right.
        Starting to not use them as no one around uses them T-T
      • Daryl Hrdlicka
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
          --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "iamahipo_ocolor"
          <iamahipo_ocolor@...> wrote:
          > I think basically you get used to what ever stick you have, I have a
          heavy (tri -something
          > brand) devil stick, and a lunastix flower stick set. I am 12, and
          the tri-something set is a
          > bit heavy, but hoping It gets easier as I get oldr ;). but yah, do
          what ever wieght feels right.

          Okay, kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for answering!

          > Starting to not use them as no one around uses them T-T

          Running into that here too, I have NO idea where to find someone who
          uses them to learn from. I'd like to get good at them, but doing it
          alone gets kinda boring.
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 8, 2007
            Hey thats no way to learn stix or anything else. If u find it boring,
            then u should do urself a favour and find something u enjoy doing...
            just for the sake of doing it. The fact that devil stix are fookin
            difficult to master is what makes it all the more satisfying when u see
            progress. But this also means that most people are gonna give up very
            early on and so you will almost certainly be doing it on your own.

            As far as stick weight goes, light is below about 200 grams or about 4
            ounces, medium is 200 - 300 grams, and heavy is above that. My
            programmable light devil stick weighs in at a hefty 400 grams and is a
            pile of shite to play with. Also where the weight is along the stick
            makes a big difference, and if the weight is all at the ends, like
            flower sticks, then the length of stick is a big factor... conclusion...
            find the stick u like and then copy it.

            > --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, "iamahipo_ocolor"
            > <iamahipo_ocolor@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I think basically you get used to what ever stick you have, I have a
            >>
            > heavy (tri -something
            >
            >> brand) devil stick, and a lunastix flower stick set. I am 12, and
            >>
            > the tri-something set is a
            >
            >> bit heavy, but hoping It gets easier as I get oldr ;). but yah, do
            >>
            > what ever wieght feels right.
            >
            > Okay, kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for answering!
            >

            >> Starting to not use them as no one around uses them T-T
            >>

            > Running into that here too, I have NO idea where to find someone who
            > uses them to learn from. I'd like to get good at them, but doing it
            > alone gets kinda boring.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Daryl Hrdlicka
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
              --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@...> wrote:

              > Hey thats no way to learn stix or anything else. If u find it boring,
              > then u should do urself a favour and find something u enjoy doing...
              > just for the sake of doing it. The fact that devil stix are fookin
              > difficult to master is what makes it all the more satisfying when u see
              > progress. But this also means that most people are gonna give up very
              > early on and so you will almost certainly be doing it on your own.

              I didn't say the sticks are boring. I meant trying to figure it out
              on my own is rough and hard to stay enthused about because I don't
              know what I'm doing! The progress is slow because I don't have an
              instructor to tell me the little "knacks".

              Put it this way. I'm an atlatl instructor at a nearby historical
              site, I teach people how to throw spears. When I was introduced to it
              by someone who didn't know what they were doing, it was very hard.
              Took me about 2 years to get halfway decent at it, finally was shown
              "the knack" by someone at an event and I got very good at it in a
              short time, and now I teach it. I can show most people how to throw
              accurately in about 10 minutes, because I'm an instructor who knows
              what I'm doing! But without someone to tell them how, most people
              will never figure it out. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try the atlatl,
              just means they need someone to show/tell them how.

              > As far as stick weight goes, light is below about 200 grams or about 4
              > ounces, medium is 200 - 300 grams, and heavy is above that. My
              > programmable light devil stick weighs in at a hefty 400 grams and is a
              > pile of shite to play with.

              The one piece of advice I've had so far is that lighter sticks are
              faster. Does that sound right in your experience?

              > Also where the weight is along the stick
              > makes a big difference, and if the weight is all at the ends, like
              > flower sticks, then the length of stick is a big factor...

              That makes sense too, but that's why I was wondering what effect the
              length has, expecially if the weight is at the ends. Are sticks like
              that better for particular tricks? I know that if I have big "lips"
              and all the weight on the ends with the flowers, I can sit there and
              spin the sticks all day. But I don't know what difference the length
              makes. Seems to me that shorter sticks would spin faster, but that's
              about all I know.

              conclusion...
              > find the stick u like and then copy it.

              Trouble is, I don't have any to play with except for the ones I can
              find online. And I'd hate to spend a ton of money trying to find the
              one good set of sticks for me. That's why I'm trying to figure it out
              and make my own.

              Thanks for the response, some good info there!

              -Daryl
            • Gerard Kemmy
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
                Hey hey,
                I've got a couple of sets that I would use depending on mood mostly. There are light fast leather wrapped ones and the much heavier tapered flaming ones, however for learning new tricks you simply cant beat homemade rubber ones.

                Here goes :

                Materials :
                1/2 inch diameter dowel approx 18 - 24 inches long (Main Stck)
                1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter dowel approx 30 - 36 inches long, halved (Wands)
                Rubber inner tube (from trucks I find the best)
                Electrical tape
                Heavy duty + sharp scissors.

                Procedure:
                1. wrap the all sticks in the electrical tape so that there is no wood showing
                2. cut the inner tube into 4 strips about half an inch wide and as long as you can if using a car tube . This is what I find works best, experiment yourself to find what suits. This is also where the truck inner tube comes into its own - as its wider its just one flat slice accross the tube is enough for what you want.
                3 Tape the end of one of the rubber strips to the very end of the main stick so that the length of rubber is hanging down the length of the stick and is twisted at about a 45 degree angle. Ensure this is taped firmly.
                4 pulling a bit on the rubber so that its tight wrap the stick in the rubber, leaving just over the thickeness of the rubber in between the revolutions. The idea is that you can wrap the other strip around the stick in the gap that you have left. firmly secure the other end and trim.
                5 now wrap another strip around the stick in the gap that you have left, there should be a bout a millimetre in between the two strips wrapping the stick - this is to allow them to move slightly during use.
                6 ensure that both ends of both strips of rubber are firmly attached to the stick at both ends with tape.
                7 cut two more rectangles of rubber fron the tube about 3 inches wide by 8 inches long. Make cuts in these rectangles coming in from the long side about two inches long and half an inch apart. These will form the tassles on the ends.
                8 attach the 1 inch that isnt cut to the last 1 inch of the end of the stick and wrap around tightly, so that the cut ends form the tassles. its important here to make sure all the edges of the wrap are sraight so that when using it you can catch the lip. use a lot of tape to secure.
                9 repeat step 8 with the other rectangle and the other end of the stick. you shoud now have something that looks like a flower stick - trim where needed.
                10 using your last two strips of rubber wrap the two wands completely - laving no gaps. If you let the leading edge of the rubber just catch the previous edge of the wrapping so that it raises up slightly it will provide extra grip. Again ensure bothe ends of the rubber are firmly attached with tape.

                These are the basic instructions - play around with them as you see fit to find what works best for you. hope theyre not too confusing - much easier with diagrams.
                As I said, I find these the best way to learn new tricks as the rubber provides the weight and grip required to give a very good all round stick. Its nearly hard not to learn new stuff with these, then you can transfer your skills onto your prettier sticks.
                 Any questions - give me a shout.
                Cheers,
                ger

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 10, 2007
                  --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Kemmy
                  <gerardckemmy@...> wrote:

                  > Hey hey,
                  > I've got a couple of sets that I would use depending on mood
                  mostly. There are light fast leather wrapped ones and the much heavier
                  tapered flaming ones, however for learning new tricks you simply cant
                  beat homemade rubber ones.

                  The ones I've been making are pretty close to that. I've been using
                  felt for the tassels, and the main sticks are 24" long, I've played
                  with both 3/8" and 1/2" dowels for those. Wrap them with rubber
                  electrical tape, put the tassels on, build the ends up so I have about
                  a 1/2" lip to catch with the hand sticks, then mark the balance point.
                  For the hand sticks, I'm using 3/8" dowels, then either wrapping them
                  with hockey stick tape or rubber tape, then using electrical tape for
                  the grips and accents.

                  The sticks work fine, it's just that I don't understand what I'm doing
                  and it's frustrating! I'm one of those "gotta know" guys. Thanks for
                  your instructions, I'll have to try one of those. It sounds fun!

                  -Daryl
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 10, 2007
                    my advice is this...
                    forget making them and buy a set of lunastix ( i like the fiberglass
                    type) they will knock ages off your learn time, quite amazing little
                    things. They are well worth the money. The reason why they are so good?
                    not only are they very sticky, but they also have leather flower ends
                    that stop the stick from rolling. I never thought what a difference this
                    would make, and i have making them for years. example: i have done more
                    in 2 days with 2 lunastix then i have in 2 months with 2 devilstix! I
                    only bought them a couple of weeks ago.

                    by the way, there are very few shortcuts to mastering devil stix, some
                    tricks have taken me 2 years to master. And there is definately no knack
                    that i could show you that would make any difference to your playing
                    level now.

                    > --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Kemmy
                    > <gerardckemmy@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hey hey,
                    >> I've got a couple of sets that I would use depending on mood
                    >>
                    > mostly. There are light fast leather wrapped ones and the much heavier
                    > tapered flaming ones, however for learning new tricks you simply cant
                    > beat homemade rubber ones.
                    >
                    > The ones I've been making are pretty close to that. I've been using
                    > felt for the tassels, and the main sticks are 24" long, I've played
                    > with both 3/8" and 1/2" dowels for those. Wrap them with rubber
                    > electrical tape, put the tassels on, build the ends up so I have about
                    > a 1/2" lip to catch with the hand sticks, then mark the balance point.
                    > For the hand sticks, I'm using 3/8" dowels, then either wrapping them
                    > with hockey stick tape or rubber tape, then using electrical tape for
                    > the grips and accents.
                    >
                    > The sticks work fine, it's just that I don't understand what I'm doing
                    > and it's frustrating! I'm one of those "gotta know" guys. Thanks for
                    > your instructions, I'll have to try one of those. It sounds fun!
                    >
                    > -Daryl
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • iamahipo_ocolor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 10, 2007
                      --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@...> wrote:

                      > my advice is this...
                      > forget making them and buy a set of lunastix ( i like the fiberglass
                      > type) they will knock ages off your learn time, quite amazing little
                      > things. They are well worth the money. The reason why they are so good?
                      > not only are they very sticky, but they also have leather flower ends
                      > that stop the stick from rolling. I never thought what a difference this
                      > would make, and i have making them for years. example: i have done more
                      > in 2 days with 2 lunastix then i have in 2 months with 2 devilstix! I
                      > only bought them a couple of weeks ago.
                      >
                      > by the way, there are very few shortcuts to mastering devil stix, some
                      > tricks have taken me 2 years to master. And there is definately no knack
                      > that i could show you that would make any difference to your playing
                      > level now.

                      Agreed.
                    • Daryl Hrdlicka
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 13, 2007
                        --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@...> wrote:

                        > my advice is this...
                        > forget making them and buy a set of lunastix ( i like the
                        fiberglass
                        > type) they will knock ages off your learn time, quite amazing
                        little
                        > things.

                        Darren, I bow before your wisdom. Went to a history fest not too
                        far from me, they had a guy with mystix and another one with
                        lunastix, those are both so far ahead of anything I was doing that
                        it almost makes me cry. BEAUTIFUL things to use, especially the
                        lunastix! You're right, I'm doing things with them already that I
                        couldn't even come close to doing with my own, and that was on the
                        same day I picked them up. Got some answers to my questions too, so
                        now I understand more about them. But it turns out my own ones
                        were'nt ALL bad, sold a set to one of the jugglers. They like them
                        because they're light and they can do different tricks with them.
                        But now I know what the real ones should be, so...

                        They are well worth the money. The reason why they are so good?
                        > not only are they very sticky, but they also have leather flower
                        ends
                        > that stop the stick from rolling.

                        Yep, the stickiness is a huge part of it, so is the weight. I was
                        told that's why the flowers are made of leather, more because
                        they're heavy than anything else.

                        example: i have done more
                        > in 2 days with 2 lunastix then i have in 2 months with 2
                        devilstix! I
                        > only bought them a couple of weeks ago.

                        Again, agreed. When you have the right things to use you can really
                        work them.

                        > by the way, there are very few shortcuts to mastering devil stix,
                        some
                        > tricks have taken me 2 years to master. And there is definately no
                        knack
                        > that i could show you that would make any difference to your
                        playing
                        > level now.

                        Also (sadly) agreed. Nothing beats practice. Thanks for all of
                        your help, everyone! As I learn stuff, I'll keep people upodated.

                        Has anyone used mystix before, btw?

                        -Daryl
                      • William Wojenski
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 13, 2007
                          > Also (sadly) agreed. Nothing beats practice.
                          > Thanks for all of
                          > your help, everyone! As I learn stuff, I'll keep
                          > people upodated.
                          >
                          > Has anyone used mystix before, btw?
                          >
                          > -Daryl
                          >

                          > Began on them. Farily good, as far as begginers go.
                          Mine broke so I got some LunaStix. But yah, they
                          introduced me to the art of devilsticks ;)

                        • Daryl Hrdlicka
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 13, 2007
                            --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, William Wojenski
                            <iamahipo_ocolor@...> wrote:

                            > > Also (sadly) agreed. Nothing beats practice.
                            > > Thanks for all of
                            > > your help, everyone! As I learn stuff, I'll keep
                            > > people upodated.
                            > >
                            > > Has anyone used mystix before, btw?
                            > >
                            > > -Daryl
                            > >

                            > > Began on them. Farily good, as far as begginers go.
                            > Mine broke so I got some LunaStix. But yah, they
                            > introduced me to the art of devilsticks ;)

                            Pretty much the same here. I bought them first, played with them for
                            a while, oohed and aahed, then made it to the place where they had
                            lunastix. As far as I'm concerned, no comparison (at least for me).
                            The lunastix are a dream, I'll let my kids use the mystix. But I did
                            get to meet the maker/owner of the mystix, VERY nice guy and a great
                            performer.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 16, 2007
                              i have also discovered another slant on the lunastix, well 2 lunastix
                              actually. Using no handsticks at all, just 2 lunastix is loads of fun
                              and has truckloads of potential. i have already stumbled on some amazing
                              tricks... yes i have thought of using 3 and i actually gave it a try,
                              but u can over do it sometimes, all dem tassles looked a bit gay
                            • Daryl Hrdlicka
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 16, 2007
                                --- In DevilStickForum@yahoogroups.com, Darren <dag@...> wrote:

                                > i have also discovered another slant on the lunastix, well 2
                                lunastix
                                > actually. Using no handsticks at all, just 2 lunastix is loads of
                                fun
                                > and has truckloads of potential. i have already stumbled on some
                                amazing
                                > tricks... yes i have thought of using 3 and i actually gave it a
                                try,
                                > but u can over do it sometimes, all dem tassles looked a bit gay

                                sounds awfully cool, actually. when it's not raining so i can go
                                outside, i'll give it a try! I've made handsticks with tassels for
                                my kids to use, but they throw me off -- too much visual noise.
                              • the_tarper
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
                                  I have to agree with the others in that for the most part there is no
                                  easy to learn tricks that you can get told that will help you with
                                  devil sticks. The only thing I have ever been told by someone that
                                  helped was the concept of rolling the control stick to help with some
                                  of the continuous spinning tricks. Mostly though it's practice and
                                  experimentation that masters this skill.

                                  Thanks for the time,

                                  Zac