NYTimes.com Article: Colleges Struggle to Help Black Men Stay Enrolled

  • Cprim72@Bigfoot.Com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      This article from NYTimes.com
      has been sent to you by cprim72@....

      /-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

      NOMINATED FOR 7 BROADCAST FILM CRITICS AWARDS

      IN AMERICA has been nominated for 7 BFCA Awards including
      Best Picture, Best Actress Best Director, Best Writer, Best
      Young Actor/Actress, and Best Song. Ebert & Roeper give IN
      AMERICA "Two Thumbs Way Up!" Watch the trailer at:
      http://www.foxsearchlight.com/inamerica

      Colleges Struggle to Help Black Men Stay Enrolled

      December 30, 2003
      By KAREN W. ARENSON

      Watching Simon Jackson in class is like watching a man who
      is conflicted about being in college. For long stretches,
      he huddles silently in the back corner, his head sunk into
      his bulky jacket. But every so often he strides to the
      front of the room to chat with the professor or to write on
      the chalkboard, self-assured to the point of cockiness.

      A 10th-grade dropout who earned a high school equivalency
      diploma, Mr. Jackson, 21, is now a freshman at Medgar Evers
      College in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, eager, he says, to get
      a college degree.

      "I was in school trying to learn," he said. "I liked to
      learn. I still do. That's why I'm here now."

      As a black man, he is also a rare commodity that the
      college, part of the City University of New York, is eager
      to hold on to. The class Mr. Jackson was sitting in
      recently was a freshman orientation class created this year
      for men only, in hopes of keeping black male students on
      track.

      Over the course of the semester, class discussions veered
      from little things, like ways to remember to bring books to
      school, to how the students felt when they could not get
      waited on in stores and how difficult it was to go
      anywhere, even to school, without money in their pockets.

      At Medgar Evers, where 97 percent of the male students are
      black, the number of male students has been
      disproportionately low for more than a decade. Right now,
      only 22 percent of the students are male. And the men are
      far less likely to graduate than the women.

      The discrepancies are not unique to Medgar Evers. Women
      outnumber men at most colleges, but the gap is especially
      large among black students. Nationally, barely a quarter of
      the 1.9 million black men between 18 and 24 - prime
      college-going years - were in college in 2000, according to
      the American Council on Education's most recent report on
      minorities in higher education. By comparison, 35 percent
      of black women in the same age group and 36 percent of all
      18- to 24-year-olds were enrolled in higher education.

      And the graduation rate of black men is lower than that of
      any other group. Only 35 percent of the black men who
      entered N.C.A.A. Division I colleges in 1996, for example,
      graduated within six years, compared with 59 percent of the
      white men, 46 percent of the Hispanic men, 41 percent of
      the American Indian men and 45 percent of the black women
      who entered the same year.

      "It's the shame of American higher education," said Arthur
      E. Levine, the president of Teachers College at Columbia
      University.

      Researchers say the obstacles keeping black men from
      earning college degrees include poor education before
      college, the low expectations that teachers and others have
      for them, a lack of black men as role models, their dropout
      rate from high school and their own low aspirations.

      While most of these problems are common to disadvantaged
      minority students regardless of sex, black men have the
      special burden of being pigeonholed early in a way that
      black female students are not. This was among the findings
      of the African-American Male Initiative, a program set up
      by the University System of Georgia to research and remove
      the obstacles to college enrollment and graduation for
      black men. The system has 17,000 black men among 250,000
      students on its 34 campuses.

      The downward spiral begins in Head Start classrooms, said
      Arlethia Perry-Johnson, the chairwoman of the initiative
      and an associate vice chancellor of the Georgia system.
      Some black male students are labeled developmentally
      delayed, funneled into special education and "never get
      mainstreamed," she said. Shoved off the college prep track,
      they begin a "cycle of being reprimanded, disciplined and
      ultimately suspended for negative behavior," she said,
      leading to expulsion, unemployment and even crime and
      imprisonment.

      Solving the problem is beginning to get more attention at
      colleges. Nearly three dozen selective liberal arts
      colleges, including Amherst, Swarthmore and Wesleyan, have
      united to create a working group on minority achievement
      issues, including the underrepresentation of black and
      Latino men in colleges.

      Recently, Howard University, a historically black college
      in Washington, D.C., sponsored a symposium on the absence
      of black men in higher education. Women outnumber men by
      about 2 to 1 at Howard.

      This year, Medgar Evers, in addition to creating the
      all-male course for freshmen, founded a Male Development
      and Empowerment Center to do research on the problems black
      men have in college and offer seminars on topics like money
      management and relationships with women.

      "I decided I had to stop lamenting their plight and try to
      arrest the decline that is taking place, at least at our
      institution," said Edison O. Jackson, the president of the
      college. "What I'm hoping to do is to change the culture,
      change how we interact with black males. To the extent we
      can succeed, perhaps the model can be used by others."

      Dr. Jackson, who is no relation to Simon Jackson, decided
      to teach the all-male course himself. Last semester, the
      class ran three hours on Thursday evenings, after many of
      the students had already worked a full day. The students
      ranged from their late teens to their 30's. Many were
      immigrants from the Caribbean. Some had children - at least
      one was a single father - and they sometimes missed classes
      to take care of their youngsters.

      Dr. Jackson or his assistant, Hakim Lucas, directed the
      class discussion. One evening, a student volunteered that
      he was troubled by his recent attempt to buy his brother a
      birthday present at Tiffany's. He said he had had trouble
      attracting a salesclerk's attention.

      "I'm seeing everyone else getting helped," he said, "and no
      one would help me. I feel like I was being judged."

      Dr. Jackson, a short black man with a shaved head, told the
      class he knew what they were facing. Not long ago, when he
      had taken a guest to dinner at Tavern on the Green, he was
      led past a row of empty tables to one at the back of the
      room, jammed up against a Christmas tree.

      "I didn't get angry," he told the students. "I said: `I'm
      sorry. This is not what I want.' It makes no sense to get
      nasty and ugly." His table was changed.

      He also told them about trips he had made to stores
      recently, dressed in jeans and sneakers, and being followed
      by security guards.

      "It is a challenge for us as black men," he said. "You
      can't fall prey to that. You can't overreact."

      Social habits and camaraderie became the focus on another
      night when Peter Holoman, the director of the Male
      Development and Empowerment Center, who was visiting the
      class, observed that the men were scattered around the room
      as if a teacher had spread them out before a test. Mr.
      Holoman encouraged them to trade phone numbers and find
      ways to study together.

      "With the sisters, if they don't get something in class,
      they turn to another student and say: `Girl, I don't
      understand that. Give me your number,' " Mr. Holoman said
      later. "But the brothers are not doing it. They are silent.
      They don't want to show they are not getting it. It's a
      sense of machismo."

      Mr. Holoman also shared his own bumpy personal journey of
      how he became homeless after too much drinking, hanging out
      and not taking life seriously. "The choices we make, the
      things we do, catch up with us," he said.

      But having role models is not the same as taking hold of
      one's life. Dr. Jackson said that even black male students
      from middle-class, educated families have difficulty.

      One is Terrence Agard, 19, whose mother is a school
      principal and whose older brother is in medical school.
      "Our whole household environment was conducive to
      learning," he said. "We could talk about issues."

      But high school was a struggle. He was dismissed from one
      for fighting. At another, he started hanging out with gang
      members.

      "There was a lot of excessive aggression at the school and
      after school," he said. "Studying was not at all a
      priority. The priority was survival."

      He dropped out at 16 and earned a high school equivalency
      diploma. He enrolled at Medgar Evers but realized he did
      not really want to be in college and dropped out. After
      working as a teacher's aide at a day care center and
      becoming a father, he decided to try again, so that his son
      would have someone to look up to.

      He called Medgar Evers "the first school I've come to where
      I really wanted to be," but admitted he had not been
      conscientious about attending classes.

      "I'm muddling through," he said, in an interview during the
      semester. "Honestly, I still want to do what I can to chill
      and hang out. I'm trying to figure out how to balance my
      life."

      Simon Jackson seemed to be waging a similar battle. He said
      that he, too, grew up in a family that valued education,
      and that his parents wanted him to become a doctor. In high
      school, he qualified for honors courses, he said, but they
      were stressful and he dropped them. He spoke breezily of
      "having a nice mansion with a lab on the side." But he did
      not like his remedial math class at Medgar Evers, and
      partway through the semester said he was having "big
      problems" in college.

      One problem was money. He started a job at the college
      television studio - a job Dr. Jackson lined up for him -
      but he said that working 25 hours a week interfered with
      his studying.

      Things were not going well on the job, either. He skipped a
      day of work, he said, because he had no money. He could
      have walked to work, but he said it was hard to walk around
      school with nothing in his pocket.

      One night near the end of the semester, Dr. Jackson offered
      to help anyone drop courses they were in danger of failing.

      But there were no takers. Instead, many students were
      taking advantage of extra group tutorial sessions he had
      set up for them, and several said the sessions were useful.

      One exception was Mr. Agard, who was not there. He had been
      swept up in personal problems and had stopped attending
      classes. He ended up withdrawing, but has registered to
      return.

      "I'm definitely going to keep trying," he said last night.

      Except for one other student, who had been sent to Iraq,
      the rest of the students had also registered for the next
      semester. Dr. Jackson viewed that, in itself, as a victory,
      since dropout rates are highest in the freshman year.

      Dr. Jackson said he would teach the class again next
      semester. He had planned to teach it only one semester, but
      he said that this group of freshmen needed more coaching
      and that he wanted to stay with them.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/30/education/30BLAC.html?ex=1073966990&ei=1&en=5d644b6afc7d4ece

      http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

      HOW TO ADVERTISE
      onlinesales@... or visit our online media
      kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

      help@....

      Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company