MAA NEWSLETTER: KJON JOINS MAA/ R&B MUSEUM INDUCTION CERIMONY COMES TO DETROIT/SIDNEY BARNES BOOK AVAILABLE

  • billy wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2013
      To receive email from billy wilson, add billy_j_wilson@... to your safe sender list.
      View as Web Page Subscribe Unsubscribe Send to a Friend Preferences
      Motown Alumni Association
      Bookmark and Share

      Motown Alumni Association Newsletter

      KJON JOINS THE MAA and MAA JOINS THE MARKETING TEAM OF KJON

      (MAA NEWS) - Former Republic Motown recording artist K'JON has joined the Motown Alumni Association, and the MAA has commited to join the marketing staff of K'JON. "We were following K'JON before he became a big star... we are happy to join his team" said Billy Wilson president of the Motown Alumni Association.

      The Detroit native is planning big things in his career, and much of it is based in Detroit.

      He created Up and Up Records to help the children of Detroit to have an outlet for their musican endeavour. "I'm giving back to my city" he told the MAA. K'Jon is also the executive producer of a movie titled "Dancing Shoes" (http://youtu.be/GmU-MHjBK4k) he's planning on releasing the movie in 2014. "We are hiring Detroit celebrities to have a starring role in the movie, and getting hollywood involved" said K'JON.

      To add more to K'Jon's Detroit take-over, he has commited to being a presenter at this years 5th annual Detroit Black Music Awards, August 4, 2013 at 2739 Berts Warehouse in the historic Eastern Market area.

      Just when we thought he wouldn't have time to do anything more, he has become one of the new Governor of the Chicago Chapter of the Grammys! For media and booking information call: (800) 459-7577

      Get to know K'JON more by reading his bio:

      “I was missing my family something terrible,” says K’JON. “I was sitting in that room, wondering if writing songs was worth being away from my daughter. I was really going through it.”

      Singing from the age of eight, K’JON had been dabbling in the business for years. What started out as a hobby was beginning to morph into a career. In 2004, he had the honor of having his song, “Miami,” featured on the soundtrack for 2Fast 2Furious. He opened for everyone from Ludacris and Ne-Yo to Raheem DeVaughn. He released a few independent albums that became popular in his hometown. Things were coming together.

      “But it was happening slowly,” K’JON explains. “I’d accomplished quite a bit. But it still felt like my moment hadn’t come. I saw a lot of folks around me really take off. I was trying to figure out when it would be my time.”

      K’JON began pouring out his feelings into a song. Working so hard in the music business felt like being in a raft in the middle of the ocean. Would his ship finally come in? That idea became the song “On The Ocean.” And as soon as he finished writing and then recording a demo version of the song, he knew he had something special.

      “I knew I could sell that song to an established artist,” says K’JON. “But a friend told me that if I sold that song—I’d regret it for the rest of my career.”

      “On The Ocean” is now on its way to becoming a classic. And the warm reception he received from the song convinced K’JON that his destiny was to entertain as a singer-songwriter.

      After a decade of working hard, his ship has come in. And it’s his time.

      Detroit’s K’JON introduces his full-length major label debut, I GET AROUND, a superb collection with nods to both his contemporaries, including Kem and Robin Thicke, and his predecessors, like fellow Detroiter Marvin Gaye.

      K’JON knows how to set a scene. His album unfolds like a film, following the trials and tribulations of a young man who is determined to live and love fully and completely.

      “After The Club” is a perfect example of his philosophy. Picture the hazy after-hours during last-call at a club for the grown-and-sexy. As phone numbers are exchanged and plans are made to hit up the next spot, K’JON’s “After The Club” is the perfect theme music—subtle and sexy.

      While K’JON’s music is well suited to Detroit’s ballroom culture, the appeal is much wider. Whether you’re holding up the wall in a Brooklyn club, roller-blading in Santa Monica or two-stepping in Chicago, K’JON’s music fits.

      “That was my goal with this album,” explains K’JON. “I wanted to ake an album you could listen to from beginning to end—no matter how old you are or where you’re from.”

      What separates K’JON from his contemporaries, besides his lilting vocals, are the production values on I Get Around. You can hear acoustic guitar on the sweeping “Feels Like Love,” and the grandeur of a theatrical ballad on “I’ll Never Forget.”

      The music, handled in-house by K’JON’s production team, is real soul music—the kind that speaks to an earlier time in our music history. From lively instrumentation to lush vocal arrangements, K’JON does the Motor City proud with his approach to classic rhythm and blues.

      On the intensive ballads, K’JON’s vocals are seamlessly blended together to achieve a choir-like harmony sound. And while he’s a natural balladeer, K’JON also knows how to make a crowd move on his midtempo tracks.

      Album highlights include “Fa Sho,” a dedication to finding the perfect woman and “Fly Away,” a unique concept in which K’JON imagines himself rising about haters like a superhero.

      “That’s one of my favorite tracks,” says K’JON. “There’s a line on that song, I got superpowers/I won’t be devoured that really explains how I feel right now. Things are coming together for me and I’m getting the opportunity to share my music with the world. It’s a very exciting time.”

      When asked about his personal favorites on his upcoming release, K’JON can’t choose one.

      “That’s too hard!” he says with a laugh. “But I can say that a track like “This Time” could become a bigger hit than “On The Ocean.” It’s very special to me. And it’s one of those songs that people have been responding to.”

      K’JON’s dedication to his craft is helping him to amass a legion of fans of all ages. “A woman left a comment on a website,” says K’JON. “She said she was 58 and she loved my music. And then of course, I perform in the clubs and there are teenagers and young adults singing along. In this industry, they want you to pick a demographic. But sometimes, your audience chooses you. And that’s a great feeling.”

      K’JON, who counts Anthony Hamilton, Jazmine Sullivan and John Mayer among his own favorites, is poised to take his rightful places in the canon of legendary R&B singers and songwriters.

      And while it has been a long journey, it’s been worth the wait.

      “I’m humbled by the support I’ve received. I’m honored to be able to do what I love. And I’m grateful for all the blessings I’ve received thus far,” says K’JON. “I can’t wait to see what happens next.”

      R&B HALL OF FAME AND MUSEUM INDUCTIONS COMING TO DETROIT!

      FORMER MOTOWN STAR KIM WESTON AVAILABLE FOR BOOKINGS

      FORMER MOTOWN ARTIST FROM 'THE SERINADERS' SIDNEY BARNES BIOGRAPHY AVAILABLE WITH JUICE!

      http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Solid-Ground-Sidney-Barnes/dp/B009NO1ZB2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368703229&sr=8-2&keywords=SIDNEY+BARNES+STANDING+ON+SOLID+GROUND

      GET YOUR CHILDREN INVOLVED WITH THE 3 PHASES 2 A LADY ETTIQUETTE CLASSES FOR AS LITTLE AS $10 PER COURSE IN DETROIT

      The last time an etiquette class was even mentioned in the Detroit community was when Maxine Powell of the Motown staff groomed the super stars of Motown Records. The Motown Alumni Association have partnered with the 3 Phases 2 A Lady Etiquette School to participate in the "Motown In The School Program".  Shanithia Shahid has taken on the community service of grooming Detroits youths. Shaida, a Detroit native is focused on getting into the school system and helping to build the foundation of etiquette building. "One of the reason's the world respected Motown was because of the way they were groomed and presented to the world" said Shahid. What normally would be an $800 per class course is being reduced to $10 per class for inner-city children from ages 7 to 17. For more information Call: 313-523-5786. Courses are currently in the Detroit area only. Shahid is also planning on approaching the court system to get judges to court order youths to take up the classes.

      “Motown the Musical” Original Broadway Cast Recording to Be Released June 4th by Universal Music Enterprises

      New Recordings of Motown Classics by the Stars of Broadway’s Hottest New Arrival Album Includes Two New Songs Co-Written by Motown Founder Berry Gordy

      “MOTOWN THE MUSICAL” Nominated for four TONY® Awards

      LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

      The original Broadway cast recording of “MOTOWN THE MUSICAL,” a show nominated for four TONY® Awards, is to be released June 4, 2013, by Motown/Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). Co-produced by multi-GRAMMY® Award winner Frank Filipetti and TONY® Award nominee Ethan Popp, the album features a supremely talented cast performing exciting new versions of Motown classics including “Dancing In The Street,” “My Girl,” “You’re All I Need To Get By,” “Where Did Our Love Go,” “I Want You Back,” and many more. Among the album’s 14 tracks are two new songs, “Hey Joe (Black Like Me)” and the showstopper “Can I Close The Door (On Love),” co-written by Berry Gordy, Motown Records’ founder as well as the writer and co-producer of the show. Included in the album’s CD booklet are one-of-a-kind cast photos and two essays, by Mr. Gordy and the director Charles Randolph-Wright.

      Read the entire story:

      http://finance.yahoo.com/news/motown-musical-original-broadway-cast-142500991.html;_ylt=A2KJ2PYOy5RREHEArTXQtDMD

      Diana Ross coming to Bay Area

      Diana Ross coming to Bay Area

      By Karen D'Souza

      kdsouza@...

      In supreme news for fans of the classic Motown sound, Diana Ross will return to San Francisco for a rare two-day concert this August.

      The legendary songtress who came to fame in the '60s has only rarely performed in the Bay Area. The groundbreaking pop singer had a sold-out run in San Francisco in 2011, but that was her first time in the city since 1969.

      One of the world's most iconic divas, Ross has sold more than 100 million records and scored 18 number one hits. An Oscar nominee for her turn as Billie Holiday in "Lady Sings the Blues,"

      Ross has also nabbed a Tony award and a Golden Globe along the way. Among the classic tunes made famous by the R&B goddess: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough,"

      "I'm Coming Out," "Touch Me in the Morning" and "Endless Love." At 69, she's also been widely hailed for her sense of style, her impact on pop culture and her influence on other musicians such as Michael Jackson.

      In this Feb. 12, 2012 file photo, singer Diana Ross arrives at the 54th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, file)

      Coming Out," "Touch Me in the Morning" and "Endless Love." At 69, she's also been widely hailed for her sense of style, her impact on pop culture and her influence on other musicians such as Michael Jackson.

      She will hold court Aug. 6-7 at San Francisco's Golden Gate Theatre, 1 Taylor St. Tickets, ranging $70.00-$265.00, go on sale May 10. 888-746-1799. www.shnsf.com

      See full story:

      http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_23209552?source=rss

      SMOKEY CANCELS SHOW

      The iWireless Center in Moline, Ill., has announced the June 7, 2013 Smokey Robinson concert, scheduled for the venue, has been canceled due to a personal scheduling conflict.

      According to their website, refunds will be available at the original point of purchase beginning Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 10:00 a.m.

      See Full Article:

      http://www.kwqc.com/story/22256199/smokey-robinson-concert-at-iwireless-center-cancelled

      The Four Tops 60th Anniversary Lapel Pins available to retail merchants

      Find your favorite star at Pollstar.com

      Find the star you admire at the Internets most exciting place... Pollstars.com

      Motown Alumni Association  •  15821 Stout  •  Detroit  •  MI  •  48223
      http://motownalumniAssociation.com
      Subscribe   •   Unsubscribe   •   Preferences   •   Send to a Friend