Detroit school board pledges to push academic reforms

  • Charles C. Primas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2010

      detnews.com

      January 14, 2010

      http://detnews.com/article/20100114/SCHOOLS/1140487

      Detroit school board pledges to push academic reforms

      MARISA SCHULTZ
      The Detroit News

      Detroit -- Energized and empowered after a united showing at the state Capitol earlier in the day to retain control over curriculum, Detroit's school superintendent and the board said they are moving forward to enact the academic reforms.

      Passed this summer, the board is looking at boosting attendance rates and deploying assessment teams to each school evaluate academic curriculum, among other reforms.

      "We are mad at the condition of education," said Anthony Adams, new vice president of the board. "We are mad about waiting. We are ready to move on the academic plan. We are ready, willing and able. And we are united."

      The comments came during the first regular board meeting of the year and on the heels of testimony earlier Thursday in Lansing over future academic control of the district. Several board members and Superintendent Teresa Gueyser testified at an impassioned House education committee hearing in protest of turning academic control of the district to Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb.

      Though no bill is formally pending, the committee is considering whether to expand the power of emergency financial managers to academics. Bobb has been advocating for greater authority to fix the academic emergency in the district. The hearings in Lansing will continue Jan. 21. "Certainly the school district was heard," Gueyser said of the community and parent showing at the Capitol.

      Academic control of the 84,000-student district has been a sore spot between Bobb and the board, and subject of an ongoing civil lawsuit.

      A Wayne Circuit Court judge said the board has authority over academic issues. But the board's academic plans require financial support, which Bobb controls. Meanwhile, Bobb's team has been drafting another academic plan.

      Otis Mathis III, the newly chosen president of the board, pledged to "help move this district positively forward."

      The 11-member board welcomed two members: former state Rep. LaMar Lemmons and Carol Banks, a policy analyst for the City Council. They defeated incumbents Margaret Betts and Marie Thornton in November's election.

      mschultz@...">mschultz@... (313) 222-2310

      --

      Regards,

      Charles C. Primas

      http://www.charlesprimas.com

      http://www.detroitbusinesstoday.net

      He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.   Harold Wilson

    • detroiter43
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2010
        So what woke them up.