Show aims to uncover Detroit's political dealings

  • Charles C. Primas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009

      Freep.com

      December 31, 2009

      Show aims to uncover Detroit's political dealings

      BY NAOMI R. PATTON
      FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

      http://www.freep.com/article/20091231/NEWS01/912310453/1001/News/Show-aims-to-uncover-Detroits-political-dealings

      Former Detroit City Council candidate and Detroit Police Officer John Bennett will soon take his DetroitUncovered blog to radio airwaves.

      "DetroitUncovered Live" will go live Jan. 9, airing from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Saturdays on WCHB-AM (1200) as a pilot program for the month of January.

      Bennett, 46, said the radio show was spurred by a desire to reach a wider audience.

      "We're going to ask some very thought-provoking questions and give it to you straight, no chaser," Bennett said about the tone of the show.

      He launched the DetroitUncovered blog in 2002 as the now-defunct www.firejerryo.com to expose what he considered misconduct by former Detroit Police Chief Jerry Oliver. The site evolved into a running commentary on local politics.

      Oliver fired Bennett after he refused to take down the Web site. Bennett won his job back after a lengthy court battle.

      Bennett's bid for one of the nine City Council seats landed him in the top 18 heading into the November election. He finished 13th in the general election, with more than 35,500 votes.

      Bennett said his radio show will be a topical recap of each week's political happenings in Detroit, adding, "There's always indictments of some kind."

      Bennett won't be the only familiar name added to the WCHB lineup. Starting Monday, Greg Bowens, the former spokesman for former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer, will be hosting a show called "Personal Finances with Greg Bowens," airing 4-5 p.m. weekdays.

      In addition to being a spokesman for Archer and former Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix, Bowens, 44, is a former business reporter for the Detroit News, Crain's Detroit Business, BusinessWeek, Automotive News and Congressional Quarterly magazine.

      Contact NAOMI R. PATTON: 313-223-3327 or npatton@...

      --

      Regards,

      Charles C. Primas

      http://www.charlesprimas.com

      http://www.detroitbusinesstoday.net

      He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.   Harold Wilson

    • detroiter43
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        Detroituncovered.com is highly recommended.