Cleaning up neighborhoods will help improve Detroit's schools

  • Charles C. Primas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Monday, June 1, 2009

      Cleaning up neighborhoods will help improve Detroit's schools

      Durene Brown

      By law, schools are not the business of the city ombudsman or the city government. The Detroit Public Schools district is a separate governmental entity. However, there is a role for the city to play because the Detroit Public Schools are located in Detroit neighborhoods where our children live.

      For the past three years, the No. 1 complaint has been vacant and dangerous properties and illegal dumping.

      There are complaints from single mothers worried about wild dogs breeding and occupying vacant properties, scaring their children. The mothers then call their children in from play early because there are no street lights. Retirees complain they have time to watch squatters, copper strippers, flashers, street walkers and dealers, but shift changes and lack of staff are the responses to their 9-1-1 calls.

      Children and students are spending their developmental years in these remnants of neighborhoods. Girls push a Barbie in her hot pink convertible in front of charred buildings. Boys play basketball alongside discarded tires, mattresses and sofas where vacant houses serve as landmarks.

      No one cares. No one puts two and two together: Why do we expect our children to prosper in a God-forbidden environment?

      I'm sure that Detroit school Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb used his wealth of experience to make informed decisions in an effort to change the depressing statistics on attendance, truancy, performance,and graduation rates. However, there is a gaping hole in the plan to rescue our children through education.

      Any attempt to improve their futures without improving their environment is like spinning wheels on school buses on a snow day.

      Durene Brown is Detroit's city ombudsman.

      --

      Regards,

      Charles C. Primas

      WWW.CHARLESPRIMAS. COM
      WWW.DETROITBUSINESS TODAY.NET

      "Heaven never helps the man who will not act." -Sophocles