Fugitives surrender in record numbers

  • Charles Primas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2008
      Fugitives surrender in record numbers Nearly 5,500 turn themselves in as
      Wayne County tries to trim backlog. Francis X. Donnelly / The Detroit News

      http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/METRO01/806090368/&imw=Y

      *DETROIT* -- Never before have so many been so happy to turn themselves in.

      When law enforcement agencies gave Wayne County fugitives a chance to
      surrender, they received such a huge response Wednesday that they were still
      processing people the next day at 5 a.m.

      Three days later, the throngs kept coming. So many showed up Saturday that
      the doors were closed less than an hour after they opened.

      By the time the four-day program was over, nearly 5,500 residents had turned
      themselves in.

      That set a record for similar initiatives held in other parts of the U.S.
      The previous high was 1,581 in Memphis, Tenn., last year.

      "We've been going from sunup to sundown," said Robert Grubbs, U.S. marshal
      for the Eastern District of Michigan.

      The program, sponsored by the U.S. Marshal's Office, tries to ease the
      backlog of outstanding warrants by offering fugitives favorable
      consideration in disposing of their cases.

      Wayne County has 29,000 outstanding felony warrants and 17,000 misdemeanor
      ones.

      Instead of a courthouse, the programs are held is less-threatening
      surroundings. The one in Detroit was at Second Ebenezer Church.

      The proceedings Saturday definitely had an informal air.

      Prosecutors dressed in casual clothes. Judges presided from folding tables
      in makeshift courtrooms. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy stopped by with
      her daughter, Anastasia.

      "We have a huge problem with outstanding warrants," Worthy said as Anastasia
      practiced ballet spins in the hallway. "It's of paramount importance to
      address it."

      Worthy said the program could run for two weeks and there still would not be
      enough time to process all who wanted to surrender.

      She said the Prosecutor's Office was looking for other ways to meet the
      heavy demand.

      Among those grateful for the program is Angela Bradford.

      She lost her job as a child protective services advocate after becoming
      addicted to crack cocaine.

      Then she failed to pay child support. She also failed to pay six tickets,
      including one for driving without insurance.

      Bradford, 42, of Detroit, lived for several years as a fugitive, always
      worried that police could arrest her at any moment.

      Then she heard about this program. She decided to take care of her problems
      and finally put them behind her.

      "I think it's a marvelous idea," she said. "It's a way to try to get your
      life straightened out."

      In a conversation in the hall, a court staffer told Bradford what her
      options were, explaining that she could dispose of the case by paying a
      fine. "I'll take it. I'll take it," she said.

      As she returned to the courtroom, waiting for the judge after a break, a
      bailiff took pizza to several workers inside.

      He asked Bradford and several other fugitives whether they wanted any. They
      all took a slice, happily munching away as they waited for their cases to be
      resolved.
      --
      Regards,

      -Charles C. Primas

      Save on travel and travel related services at: http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com

      Make extra income GREAT Products, No Inventory, No Serving Contracts:
      http://www.fhtmus.com/primas