Re: Sharpton urges Detroiters to tackle problems of crime, school dropout rate

  • detroiter43
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2008
      What time is the Shapton led demonstration against the Detroit Public
      Schools. It has been a while, but I think I have one demonstration
      left in me.

      -- In Detroiters@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Primas" <c.primas@...>
      wrote:

      > Friday, June 6, 2008
      > Sharpton urges Detroiters to tackle problems of crime, school
      dropout rate The
      > Detroit News
      > http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20080606/METRO01/806060417

      > *DETROIT* -- The Rev. Al Sharpton urged Detroiters to come together
      through
      > community organizations to attack the problems facing the city.
      >
      > Sharpton, the founder and national president of the National Action
      Network,
      > a civil rights organization, spoke before a community rally
      Thursday evening
      > at the Great Faith Ministries International on the city's west
      side. The
      > event was sponsored by the sponsored by the Wayne/Oakland County
      National
      > Action Network. He criticized the city's high dropout rates in its
      public
      > schools and high crime rate. Sharpton told the crowd that the
      city "is in a
      > moral crisis" and that it was once the "epicenter" of a political
      and
      > cultural revolution in the country but that now it is in deep
      despair.

      > A new report found Detroit's graduation rate, though improving,
      again ranks
      > worst in the nation among largest school districts. It showed
      Michigan has
      > the worst rate nationally for graduating black males.
      >
      > The Editorial Projects in Education Research Center study found the
      > graduation rate for high schools in Detroit for 2005, the most
      recent year
      > available, was just 37.5 percent, up from 24.9 percent the previous
      year.

      > Michigan's rate for graduating African-American males was 34.6
      percent,
      > compared to 48.2 percent for the nation.
      >
      > Earlier in the day, Sharpton spoke at the Greater Mt. Tabor Baptist
      Church

      http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com

      > Make extra income GREAT Products, No Inventory, No Serving
      Contracts: