Clinton's exit crucial

  • Charles Primas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2008
      Clinton's exit crucial
      Time is of the essence for Democratic Party to reunite

      BY TODD SPANGLER � FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF � June 6, 2008

      http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/NEWS15/806060431/1009/NEWS07

      WASHINGTON -- Hillary Clinton's rally in the nation's capital Saturday --
      where she's expected to announce her support for Barack Obama's presidential
      candidacy -- will come not a moment too soon for a Democratic Party
      desperate for peacemaking between the two rivals' camps.

      If the ire in some Clinton supporters' comments is an indication, it may be
      too late for some.

      "I'm not calling myself a Democrat anymore," Jane Frick, a 68-year-old
      retired English teacher who lives in Clarkston, said Thursday. She said she
      and her husband, both Clinton supporters, are abandoning the party after a
      lifetime of political commitment.

      "We are really pulling out," she said. "We're going to be independents. I
      don't want to commit to something like the Democratic Party which has messed
      up the primary like they have."

      She said she might back presumptive Republican nominee John McCain in the
      Nov. 4 general election.

      Her remarks, and others like them, played out in e-mails and phone calls and
      Internet board postings Thursday as the reality of Clinton's loss in the
      race for the Democratic nomination and her impending departure from the race
      became apparent.

      It leaves Obama as the first nonwhite American citizen to capture enough
      delegates to become the presidential nominee of a major U.S. political
      party. It's an immense opportunity and an incredible challenge: How to bring
      together a party divided between two popular candidates.

      Many people, like 61-year-old Thomas Wilson Jr., a Detroit physical
      education teacher, were thrilled with Obama's feat. An African American,
      Wilson described the "feeling of elation" watching Obama capture the
      nomination.

      "I never thought that during my lifetime I would witness such an event of
      historical magnitude," he wrote.

      While some said they could easily make the switch from Clinton to Obama,
      others were far less pleased.

      On freep.com, one writer with a screen name of "baitm," wrote: "I AM A
      DEMOCRAT THAT WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA. I EVEN CONTACTED THE DNC (Democratic
      National Committee) TO REMOVE ME FROM ALL OF THEIR LISTS." The writer
      promised to support McCain "unless they get it together."

      Clinton's rally in Washington on Saturday at noon at the National Building
      Museum will attempt to do just that.

      She will thank supporters and formally endorse rival Barack Obama, who
      clinched the nomination on Tuesday.

      The former first lady is expected to urge Democrats to unite behind Obama
      and help him defeat Republican John McCain in November.

      However, the unification effort may not be enough.

      Frick reacted to comments that Democratic activist and consultant Mark
      Grebner of Lansing made in a Free Press story. He said he didn't know any
      Democrats who wouldn't return to Obama in November's general election.

      Think again, she said, questioning Obama's sincerity, his depth on the
      issues and the substance of his policy plans. She blamed him for blocking a
      do-over election in Michigan that would have settled the state's disallowed
      primary without awarding him votes he didn't directly win.

      "It seemed to us Obama was being supported not because he was the best
      candidate but because he was black," she said.

      Dave Milon, who also voted in the disallowed Jan. 15 primary for Clinton,
      said he could have supported either Democrat but "soured" when Obama blocked
      a do-over contest for Michigan.

      (Obama's advisers have flatly denied suggestions by the Clinton campaign
      that he was the barrier to a do-over contest. But his camp did raise
      concerns about the suggestions the Clinton camp put forward for do-over
      elections.)

      He's angry about what he says was a violation of his constitutional rights,
      the fact that his primary vote didn't matter in the end.

      "As much as I dislike Republicans, I'm pissed off enough I just might vote
      for McCain," said Milon, a 58-year-old retired welder who lives in Lincoln
      Park.

      He did offer a suggestion, though, that might change his mind -- Clinton as
      Obama's running mate.

      "If they put Hillary on there, I might have to rethink everything," he said.

      Contact TODD SPANGLER at 202-906-8203 or at tspangler@.... The
      Associated Press contributed to this story.

      --
      Regards,

      -Charles C. Primas

      Save on travel and travel related services at: http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com

      Make extra income GREAT Products, No Inventory, No Serving Contracts:
      http://www.fhtmus.com/primas