Re: [Detroiters] Freep: Lower option on no-fault coverage could ease costs

  • Charles Primas
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      If this is as prolific as you suggest, we need to do something.

      I am not advocating pulling everyone over and grilling them, I think a lot
      of police cars have computers in them where they can check someone's plate
      out, right?

      Just do a random check. If you are good, then you never know they checked
      you out.

      -CP

      --
      Regards,

      -Charles C. Primas

      Save on travel and travel related services at:
      http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com

      Make extra income without having to quit your job, click here:
      http://www.fhtmus.com/primas

    • juststand341
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Here's how they get plate renewals: It's called "birthday insurance",
        the person goes to one of those store front LA Insurance/ Titan etc
        huckters, usually on their birthday, pay the $79.00 or whatever the
        "down" payment is. They get the insurance binder which only verifies
        that initial payment, then go to the MI Secretary of State and get the
        plates or tags.

        They simply never pay the balance of the payment to the insurance
        company for the final insurance document, but keep driving on the
        binder until it expires on their birthday month, then they go to
        another store front insurance co. Now the problem is that the
        insurance "binder" is short dated pending the actual insurance
        document, that of course they don't have, because the did not pay the
        insurance in full.

        When they get pulled over, the cops will question the absence of an
        actual insurance document, a ticket is written and/ or the car is
        impounded etc. etc. Not a good day if the person has outstanding
        "warrants" too, clink-clank, to jail. Oh, well their cheating makes it
        all more expensive for us honest insurance "full payment" stiffs!

        --- In Detroiters@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Primas" <c.primas@...> wrote:

        > Half the city drives around uninsured? How do they get plates renewals?
        >
        > One year I got sent home because I could not show proof that my
        truck was
        > insured. Pissed me off, too because I renewed on my Birthday, came
        back the
        > next day and had to pay EXTRA then!!!
        >
        > -CP
        >

        > On 5/1/08, black_detroiter1 <visionary1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Michigan's unaffordable insurance rates are driving people out of
        > > Detroit and other large cities. They are practically forcing thousands
        > > of motorists to commit fraud to secure coverage or go, illegally,
        > > without it.
        > >
        > > Easing this problem will require changes to Michigan's no-fault
        > > insurance law to allow drivers the option to lower rates by buying
        > > less medical coverage, as they can in other states. It's not a perfect
        > > solution. Michigan's unlimited no-fault system has been a noble
        > > tradition. But it has also made insurance unaffordable for too many
        > > people or forced them to go without, which puts a potential burden on
        > > everyone when accidents happen. The costs of continuing the current
        > > system now outweigh the benefits.
        > >
        > > Some drivers in Detroit, the nation's poorest big city, pay $4,000 a
        > > year or more for auto insurance. But the problem goes far beyond
        > > Michigan's biggest city, where up to half of motorists drive
        > > uninsured. Statewide, 17% of drivers are on the road without
        > > insurance, up from 11% in 1989.
        > >
        > > A Senate bill would allow drivers to buy as little as $50,000 in
        > > medical coverage, which would save an estimated 16% on a typical
        > > policy, reports the Insurance Institute of Michigan. The $50,000
        > > minimum for personal injury protection would still rank among the
        > > nation's highest, and it would cover 95% of auto injuries in Michigan,
        > > even if every driver opted for the lowest coverage.
        > >
        > > A House bill would set minimum medical coverage at $250,000. Given the
        > > high cost of medical care, the House bill is more prudent. The higher
        > > mandated minimum would still save policyholders 10% while offering
        > > some extra personal injury protection for those few drivers who
        needed it.

        > > Since 1973, Michigan has been the only state to mandate unlimited
        > > lifetime medical benefits for those injured in auto crashes.
        > >
        > > Modifying Michigan's no-fault system, while not without risk, would
        > > enable more people to purchase insurance. If insurance rates are to
        > > drop, so must costs. Legislators should not perpetuate a system that
        > > practically forces hundreds of thousands of people to drive uninsured
        > > and unprotected.
        > >

        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > -Charles C. Primas
        >
        > Save on travel and travel related services at:
        > http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com
        >
        > Make extra income without having to quit your job, click here:
        > http://www.fhtmus.com/primas

      • juststand341
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          Yep, the tag on the edge of the plate gave easy access for the plate
          corner to be turned up, and corner cut off with metal cutters, and the
          tag removed... with the license number now on the tag, that theft
          reduced as the cops will do a tag-plate match right there on the spot!

          --- In Detroiters@yahoogroups.com, RE Kushner List Account <lists@...>
          wrote:

          > Charles Primas wrote:
          > > Half the city drives around uninsured? How do they get plates
          renewals?

          > They steal plates and tabs!! And the others fake an insurance card.
          >
          > Why do you think all these people put their tabs in the middle of their
          > plates, or have their license plates in the rear window? And why the
          > state started printing the plate number on the tabs?
          >
          > -Ron

        • juststand341
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            They do. And need to continue to do so. Too many bling, blinged car
            were the note alone was affordable and insurance was not even
            considered. No one want's to get hit by someone driving around
            uninsured. People who leave the scene of the accident usually do so
            due to not having insurance!

            --- In Detroiters@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Primas" <c.primas@...> wrote:

            > They should do random checks then, they can do that right from the
            cruiser,
            > can't they.
            >
            > If the plate doesn't match the car.....pull over!!!!
            >
            > -CP
            >

            > On 5/1/08, RE Kushner List Account <lists@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Charles Primas wrote:
            > > > Half the city drives around uninsured? How do they get plates
            renewals?

            > > They steal plates and tabs!! And the others fake an insurance card.
            > >
            > > Why do you think all these people put their tabs in the middle of
            their
            > > plates, or have their license plates in the rear window? And why the
            > > state started printing the plate number on the tabs?
            > >
            > > -Ron
            > >

            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > -Charles C. Primas
            >
            > Save on travel and travel related services at:
            > http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com
            >
            > Make extra income without having to quit your job, click here:
            > http://www.fhtmus.com/primas

          • juststand341
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              Hah! Oh yeah that would be "profiling" and after all Detroit's finest
              do have other things to do as stretched as their forces are now.

              What a mess!

              wrote:

              > Charles Primas wrote:
              > > They should do random checks then, they can do that right from the
              cruiser,
              > > can't they.
              > >
              > > If the plate doesn't match the car.....pull over!!!!
              > >

              > Oh, that's profiling.
              >
              > The City of Detroit would never order officers to go after half their
              > residents.
              >
              > -Ron

            • juststand341
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                Yep, I am in the 'burbs daily, and I know the rollers (police) roll up
                behind me and run mine randomly and I just smile as my paperwork is
                tight and right!

                --- In Detroiters@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Primas" <c.primas@...> wrote:

                > If this is as prolific as you suggest, we need to do something.
                >
                > I am not advocating pulling everyone over and grilling them, I think
                a lot
                > of police cars have computers in them where they can check someone's
                plate
                > out, right?
                >
                > Just do a random check. If you are good, then you never know they
                checked
                > you out.
                >
                > -CP
                >

                > On 5/1/08, RE Kushner List Account <lists@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Charles Primas wrote:
                > > > They should do random checks then, they can do that right from the
                > > cruiser,
                > > > can't they.
                > > >
                > > > If the plate doesn't match the car.....pull over!!!!
                > > >

                > > Oh, that's profiling.
                > >
                > > The City of Detroit would never order officers to go after half their
                > > residents.
                > >
                > > -Ron
                > >

                > --
                > Regards,
                >
                > -Charles C. Primas
                >
                > Save on travel and travel related services at:
                > http://cprim72.travelfhtm.com
                >
                > Make extra income without having to quit your job, click here:
                > http://www.fhtmus.com/primas

              • RE Kushner List Account
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  juststand341 wrote:
                  > Yep, I am in the 'burbs daily, and I know the rollers (police) roll up
                  > behind me and run mine randomly and I just smile as my paperwork is
                  > tight and right!

                  They do that to me too. Warren is really good for doing it on Van
                  Dyke, and Dearborn on Michigan Ave.

                  What I don't like is when they pull up behind you and aggressively
                  swerve outside their lane behind you, I guess the thinking is if you're
                  drunk you'll follow them as they swerve. It seems dangerous tailgating
                  someone like that. If I were prone to road rage I'd slam on the breaks
                  and make 'em rear end me, but I'm not.

                  -Ron
                • juststand341
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                    Don't forget Ferndale, and Auburn Hills where the police scout cars
                    seems to fall from the sky out of no-where behind you!!

                    Yes, they are out-of-bounds often. I try to stay out of their
                    "profile" radar, I use one of those blue-tooth doo-dads when talking
                    on my cell, and obey the laws.... though I have made an illegal left
                    turn or two in the past (smile).