Hip-Hop Fridays: Exclusive Q & A With Keith Murray

  • James
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2003
      About a year ago if you mentioned Keith Murray's name to Hip-Hop
      aficionados, you probably would have seen reactions of respect, fond
      memories and curiosity. Something similar to how one reacts when they are
      asked about a popular classmate of theirs, from high school or college,
      that they haven't seen for a while. Because of his creativity, charisma,
      public troubles and admitted recklessness, Keith Murray has established
      himself as one of the most interesting and paradoxical figures in Hip-Hop
      history. With his first single, "Yeah, Yeah, Ya Know it" from his
      upcoming album, He's Keith Murray (released on April 29th), earning the
      Long Island, New York native the most radio airplay in years, now is as
      good a time as ever, to catch up with the Hip-Hop wordsmith (even
      Amazon.com notes his "multisyllabic lyricism") whose debut album was one
      of the most successful of the 1990s.

      This week, Keith Murray talked with BlackElectorate.com publisher, Cedric
      Muhammad, about his past, present and future as well as his thoughts on a
      wide-range of subjects. True to form, Keith Murray spoke with the kind of
      candor that offends some but which many find all too rare in today's
      Hip-Hop genre.

      Keith Murray: Cedric, The Entertainer, What's Up? How are you?

      Cedric Muhammad: (laughter) I'm good Brother, how are you?

      Keith Murray: I'm good, man.

      Cedric Muhammad: It's good to talk to you, as we never met when I was
      with Wu-Tang...

      Keith Murray: Yeah, word!

      Cedric Muhammad: So, in all of those years we kept missing each other,
      although paths were crossing pretty closely. Look man, most of us are
      familiar with you from 1994...

      Keith Murray: October '94...

      Cedric Muhammad: Yeah, from "The Most Beautifullest Thing In The World"
      and all that...

      Keith Murray: ummhuh..

      Cedric Muhammad: I don't want to give you too big of a question to start,
      but can you break down your life as an artist, into eras for us?

      Keith Murray: I came out in '94; and in late '94 and early '95 I came out
      with The Most Beautifullest Thing In The World album on Jive Records. I
      dropped that single, "The Most Beautifullest Thing In The World" and it
      took off. Then I dropped the second single, "Get Lifted." The record was
      doing well and I was too, on tour with Das Efx; and then, my Soundscan
      sales slowed down at like 450,000 units. So, then I went to the record
      label and expressed my dissatisfaction with the way my units were being
      moved and there was no solution. So, I decided that I wanted to get off
      of Jive Records. I told Erick (Sermon) - I was signed to his production
      company at the time - 'Take me off Jive, because Jive ain't doing what I
      need it to do!' Everybody I was on tour with was selling but me. My
      popularity was crazy and I was killin' the shows. So, I was like, 'what's
      up?!?' The answer was, 'well you know they don't want to let you off the
      label.' Then the case (second degree assault) came about. I was doing
      shows luckily but I had to record for money, and I couldn't get off the
      label. That was a black cloud. The case was a black cloud. Then, I did
      the Enigma album. That was a more aggressive, angry album from The Most
      Beautifullest Thing In The World. I came in the game with no black cloud,
      no pressure, no restraints, no label bullshit. I was just wildin' goin'
      berserk! But with Enigma I was more concentrated on the aggression, the
      frustration. So that blew over but I was sitting in court the day Enigma
      came out. Then I did the Mary J. Blige song, ("Be Happy"), which gave me
      a good look. The Enigma album did like 400,000 units. I did not want
      that. And then, after that, came the R. Kelly cut, ("Home Alone"). But
      keep in mind I still want to get off of Jive. This was like '96 and '97.
      So I had to record with those pressures, the court pressures and I was
      pissed. But the R. Kelly, "Home Alone" hit I did, that gave me a good
      look! That shit is a classic; it was bangin'. But I am still like 'yo, I
      want to get off of the f------- label.' They are still like 'No, they
      won't let you off.' So I had to record for money - I didn't have any
      money and wasn't really making any, so I started the It's a Beautiful
      Thing album but I had to go to jail and didn't finish it. And I told Jive
      to not put it out. But they put it out anyway. They got whomever they
      wanted to get, in order to finish the album. But it sounds sloppy, like
      niggas' chopped the songs off at the end. It sounds like nothing I would
      have done. And then they put out a 'Greatest Hits' album, although I told
      them not to do it. But they put it out anyway, while I was in jail.

      Cedric Muhammad: Now how long were you in for, Keith?

      Keith Murray: 36 months.

      Cedric Muhammad: To me, those 36 months, for you, in the context of being
      a powerful artist, are like what Ali and Tyson went through, in terms of
      the changes that you go through...

      Keith Murray: Yeah...

      Cedric Muhammad: How did that time period help and hurt you?

      Keith Murray: Well, it didn't hurt me. It only helped me because there is
      no telling where I would have been and what I would have been doing in the
      streets. I was a ringleader of random violence and not concentrating on
      the issues of life and gaining monetary advancement and moving with unity
      with others like men. So we were headed down the wrong dark path anyway.
      So I feel that prison was just a sign to make me slow down or even stop
      and think about where I came from, where I am, and where I want to be and
      how to get there. It took me out of the fast-paced life and made me get a
      grip and really analyze life from a distance before I got put back into
      it. It saved my life. I know a lot of people are like, 'Jail saved your
      life?!?' But they don't understand jail...

      Cedric Muhammad: Jail is school…

      Keith Murray: Jail is a poor man's university that you can't even pay
      for. And I went through a thorough investigation of the human psychology
      when I was in there.

      Cedric Muhammad: Well, we are glad that you are out now. Look Keith, I
      heard you when you came out on one of the Kay-Slay mixtapes; and you
      murdered the track...

      Keith Murray: Oh word?

      Cedric Muhammad: You were always hot; but I felt like I could pick up on
      a man that was just so focused, now...

      Keith Murray: yeah...

      Cedric Muhammad: So, do you think that in addition to what you learned in
      prison, that it narrowed your focus on the art and the business?

      Keith Murray: Most definitely. It made me sit back and analyze it,
      'cause I always was studying it as a business, but I was just overwhelmed,
      as a young artist growing up in public, having to be out there as an
      artist, plus striving to get a grip on the understanding of the mechanisms
      of the business. I was self-contained. Redman was self-contained. Erick
      (Sermon) was self-contained. I don't have a Puff Daddy. I don't have a
      Suge Knight. I don't have a Irv Gotti. I don't have those people so I
      have to be in the streets and do how I do, and learn how I learn and make
      the transition like that.

      Cedric Muhammad: How has management been for you?

      Keith Murray: I have never had a manager! Never. I had a booking agency
      that would call Erick's office that was set up to contact me, Redman and
      Erick. Erick's office would book the shows and take a percentage out of

      Cedric Muhammad: Yeah, I remember you all were dealing with Marc Cheetham
      (booking agent for ICM).

      Keith Murray: Yeah, so Marc Cheetham would call Chris at Erick's office
      and would book shows for me and Redman. Marc Cheetham would take a
      percentage. Erick's office would take a percentage and me and Redman
      would take the rest and go do what we do. But now I got a manager...

      Cedric Muhammad: Who you rollin' with now for management?

      Keith Murray: James Ellis...

      Cedric Muhammad: Oh, that was Redman's manager...

      Keith Murray: Yeah...

      Cedric Muhammad: Look, quiet is kept, he is one of the best.

      Keith Murray: Yeah, he is educated, understandable. He knows me. He
      watched me grow up...

      Cedric Muhammad: People like to deal with him, so I am happy to see that.

      Keith Murray: yeah.

      Cedric Muhammad: That's a good move right there...

      Keith Murray: That's what's up...

      Cedric Muhammad: On the business tip, you are back out now...but how was
      the paperwork getting off of Jive and onto Def Jam?

      Keith Murray: Oh, well, now I got a new lawyer - Larry Rudolph - who has
      represented Britney Spears. And I got him before I went in to jail. And
      when I got out, I expressed the fact to him that I needed to get off of
      Jive. So he sent over a letter to the record label that was like,
      'Listen, Keith's coming home the people are really not interested in
      him...' and Jive in response was like 'You know what? You are right.
      Let's let him go.' Cedric, I ran to Def Jam and multiple labels to see
      who's who and what's what. I talked to everybody. And I felt Def Jam was
      the best situation for me. I knew Def Jam from my days with Def Squad.
      So I had a rapport with Kevin (Liles) and Lyor (Cohen). And we always had
      discussions about my energy and my persona and we agreed that I represent
      Def Jam and Def Jam represents me.

      Cedric Muhammad: I just talked to Russell (Simmons) a few weeks ago;
      people think it was a real good interview. I will send it to you.

      Keith Murray: Cool.

      Cedric Muhammad: I'm real straight up, kind of critical. And I expressed
      this to Russell. I had a problem with last year. I felt like the labels,
      especially Def Jam, just stopped the flow of product, man. I don't feel
      that Hip-Hop has the same problems as rock does, with the file-sharing and
      what not. I think it is a little bit different. Do you feel real
      comfortable that Def Jam is going to sit on its punches with you, so to

      Keith Murray: I'm not ever comfortable. Never comfortable; about what a
      Def Jam is going to do for me. But I sit in these meetings; I go through
      each department; I strive to put them on the same page as me; which will p
      ropel my career, but it is an ongoing struggle. You never know, B. That
      is why I am talking to these niggas' - Kevin and Lyor. The streets ask me
      all of the time, 'Murray, are you going to do it?'; 'Murray are you going
      to at least be able to live up to your standard, of gold and then beyond?'
      I am like, 'Listen, I deliver a great product, it is up to the machine to
      work it properly.' And it is up for me to stay on each department - me
      and (James) Ellis. Each department. To make sure m----------- are doing
      what they got to do and ain't playing games. Because you know it is a
      lot of games that are going to be played! They (record label) want to
      sell records off of hype - more than hard work and dollar signs.

      Cedric Muhammad: Ok, check this out, from the vantage points of where you
      came in this game, and where you are right now. Almost 10 years total.
      Look at radio. You came in with "The Most Beautifullest Thing..." comes
      out and it was radio-friendly, although we as fans didn't care whether it
      was radio-friendly or not. We loved it!

      Keith Murray: Yeah...

      Cedric Muhammad: How do you feel radio has changed?

      Keith Murray: Radio is so f------- crazy! You've got independent
      promotional companies that got better relationships with the radio
      stations than the labels do. So, the record labels take money out of your
      budget to pay some guy to go to a radio station and get your record added.
      So they pay him a certain amount of money for all of their acts. He goes
      to the radio station because he has a relationship and tries to get the
      record to get paid. You've got to buy slots...The new mix shows now are
      not mix shows; they are programmed mixshows. So the program director (at
      the radio station) tells the mix show DJ what to play and what not to
      play. This is a real crazy business. The stations are like, 'OK you want
      your record played on my station, how much are you going to pay? What
      time slot are you going to buy?' The shit is crazy.

      Cedric Muhammad: Are you set up right? Do you feel like you are in the
      best possible situation you could be in right now - as best as you can

      Keith Murray: Well, anything can always be better but I am comfortable
      with the fact that I am not at Jive!

      Cedric Muhammad: (laughter)

      Keith Murray: You know what I am sayin'? We have to see what is going to
      pop off at Def Jam. And this is a business. Of course, I know my records
      are bangin'! It is just the fact of who is out there buying me? Who is
      out promoting me? Because I know that niggas' cannot f--- with me! And I
      got records that are going to be played prime-time, daytime. But they
      have to be worked.

      Cedric Muhammad: I hope the pipeline is working for you. On another
      point, I have been talking to a few people in the industry of late looking
      at the rise of 50 Cent. I don't think it is just about him and good
      music. I see a lot of things happening at once, and in a sense, the stars
      were all in alignment for him...

      Keith Murray: Look, they are pumping money like a m---------------. I
      mean, how many records do you think they done bought?

      Cedric Muhammad: On the Soundscan?

      Keith Murray: Yeah, c'mon those White men over there ain't playin'. That
      Jimmy Iovine (former Fleetwood Mac producer and current Chairman of
      Interscope Geffen A&M) character is not playing, homes! That
      m------------------ will buy every record that he put out just so he don't
      look like he failed. Me and you know that, but the average person
      doesn't! Hey, the album comes out April 29th - He's Keith Murray. I got
      Just Blaze, Trackmasterz, Jazzy Pha, Clark Kent, E-Double (Erick Sermon),
      Pete Rock and DJ Khalil. My second single is called "Candy Bar" and it is
      going to be a mix of "Most Beautifullest Thing In The World" and "Fatty
      Girl" so it is going to be some shit! Oh, that one is going to be the
      summer anthem!

      Cedric Muhammad: On business again, what are some of the multiple streams
      of income, other than royalties and shows that you are looking at?

      Keith Murray: I'm looking at setting up LOD. Setting them up. I mean,
      everyone knows who LOD is...

      Cedric Muhammad: Is that on the label tip or as a production deal?

      Keith Murray: On the label tip. I really want to attack that. I got DVDs
      coming. I got this agent, looking to get me into movies. But I really
      want to do dramadey (dramatic comedies). I am looking for those types of
      parts to play. I don't just want to rush in because they want to give me
      money to do a movie. I am not f------ with (Hollywood) like that

      Cedric Muhammad: Are you doing anything with clothing or are you going to
      leave that alone?

      Keith Murray: Naw, but I stay fresh. I am a fly ass dressin' nigga'

      Cedric Muhammad: (laughter) No question, Keith. You can get some
      endorsements, though. Don't leave money on the table.

      Keith Murray: (laughter) Yeah, that's what's up!

      Cedric Muhammad: Let them pay you to wear clothes, instead of you paying
      out to make them, if you like.

      Keith Murray: (laughter) Yeah...

      Cedric Muhammad: Do you have anything on your mind politically? How are
      you feeling about the environment for entertainment right now, period?
      Because we have been putting a lot of stories on BlackELectorate.com about
      how the entertainment business is funny right now...

      Keith Murray: Yeah it's fickle and it has always been fickle.

      Cedric Muhammad: Do you think with the war it is making things even

      Keith Murray: Yeah, the war is a f----- up situation. Because I really
      don't know why they are over there... This is politricks-politics.
      Innocent people are over there who are going to lose their lives. Their
      families are all f----- up, just because President Bush says , 'Saddam got
      weapons.' If Saddam got weapons and they can harm me, I say, go get'em.
      But if this is about Saddam trying to assassinate your father and the
      control of oil and land, then leave those people alone, man. So, I am
      torn between two aspects of the situation.

      Cedric Muhammad: On the subject of Black economics, Keith - where do you
      think we are, when it comes to the entertainment industry? We know we
      don't have distribution. That is so tired - everyone has said that...

      Keith Murray: We are most definitely last on the totem pole. You f------
      know that (laughter). The Jews got it locked down. Got it locked down!
      You can forget about it. A few of us do slip through the cracks but we
      are so busy trying to go after each other all the time while they are
      making mad money. It is a shame.

      Cedric Muhammad: How do you think that can change?

      Keith Murray: Man listen, just take everything underground.

      Cedric Muhammad: Yeah, just look at the mixtapes. I keep telling people
      to examine that and how much money that has circulated there. That's
      distribution right there!

      Keith Murray: Mixtapes is a whole new different thing now, though because
      they got whiff of it. The Jews got whiff of it. So now, (their attitude)
      is 'you have to scan that [record sales under the Soundscan system] or we
      are coming after you.'!

      Cedric Muhammad: Keith, I had been away for a while and I went through the
      record store on Saturday, and the mixtapes were so saturated with wack

      Keith Murray: They are over there in Europe – everywhere it's mixtapes.
      They are a hot commodity. MTV is broadcasting the 'mixtape of the month'.

      Cedric Muhammad: (laughter)...you've got D.J. Clue on –air pushing his.

      Keith Murray: (laughter) Yup. It is full-blown now. LOD is the last
      underground crusade.

      Cedric Muhammad: Explain that. How does that work? What is the

      Keith Murray: The underground is when you have love for the art and you
      go through certain channels to let your art be heard. You are still
      frustrated, though. You want to get to the next level but you ain't got
      it together to the point where you Soundscan it. You are doing your
      thing. You are a pirate of the Hip-Hop game. Like pirate radio.

      Cedric Muhammad: My thought is that if you (Blacks) have management,
      radio, an agency, a label, some law firms. That is how you are going to
      control it all.

      Keith Murray: Yeah.

      Cedric Muhammad: Oh, by the way, how are you feeling about New York radio
      right now?

      Keith Murray: Oh man. They play the same bullshit over and over again
      that advocates such senseless acts of violence. But I ain't worried when
      it's mine (laughter)...

      Cedric Muhammad: Do you think Power 105 represents anything new for New
      York radio? Competition, but not anything really new?

      Keith Murray: They try to put in an old type of format but it just seems
      like radio doesn't know what's what.

      Cedric Muhammad: Any last things you would like to say? What is the most
      important thing you would like people to know right now?

      Keith Murray: April 29th! He's Keith Murray. It is a new, fresh, honest
      look into my life. It's a good look for Hip-Hop. Check out my website,
      www.keithmurray.com. Understand where I am going. Understand my form of
      art. Put this one in your collection because you are going to need it.

      Cedric Muhammad: Classic?

      Keith Murray: Classic...Classic Keith Murray.

      Cedric Muhammad: I appreciate this Keith and wish you the best and let me
      know when you are coming through D.C. on a promo.

      Keith Murray: Oh, I'm coming this week!

      Cedric Muhamad: Really?

      Keith Murray: Hell yeah!

      Cedric Muhammad: So we'll get together then.

      Keith Murray: No doubt.

      Cedric Muhammad: Alright, Peace Brother.

      Keith Murray: One.