Excitement builds for Detroit school chief's first day

  • Charles C. Primas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007
      Excitement builds for Detroit school chief's first day

      Jennifer Mrozowski / The Detroit News

      DETROIT -- Detroit Public Schools' incoming Superintendent Connie Calloway
      is expected be on the job today, and some people are pumped over her

      "I'm excited," said school board member Carla Scott. "We need a change, and
      that's what we have. A lot of work needs to be done."

      Scott added that she is trying to keep in mind that the problems of the
      struggling 116,000-student district did not occur overnight and won't "get
      fixed overnight." But Scott said she's anticipating improvements.

      Calloway, who could not be reached for comment, comes to Detroit Public
      Schools from the 5,700-student Normandy, Mo., district near St. Louis. She
      replaces ousted superintendent William Coleman III and will make $280,000 a

      Some people, like school board member Jonathan Kinloch, had been critical of
      the superintendent hiring process, saying there weren't enough qualified

      But Kinloch said that Sunday, the first day of Calloway's contract, signals
      a "new day for the district."

      "I'm looking forward to her arriving and dealing with the challenges that
      await her," Kinloch said. "I look forward to her being part of the solution
      and working with us to turn this district around."

      You can reach Jennifer Mrozowski at (313) 222-2269 or