Detroit

  • detroitcommunityonline
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2002
      greeting everyone in the group i an a new member to the group and
      would like to tell a little bit about my self. my real first name is
      norman i am a native detroiter ,born here in 1950 my intested in
      computer date back to 1960 and i have slowly watch it grow until it
      is now the media it is today anyway me and girl was talking a few
      nights ago and the subject was why are there still so many detroiter
      expressly black detroit that do not have a computer or for that
      matter no online experience at all now my girl said lack of money and
      i said no way i see to many people walking around with gold hanging
      around there necks and fingers driveing nice rides and liveing in
      well keep up homes and i told her that there are some peolpe that
      just can not afford a computer or the expense of keeping it upgrade
      and online expense such as the high cost of dsl or cable connect here
      in detroit what i think is that it is a fear that is keep many
      detroitet from getting online. not just one fear but several but i
      think the main ones are.
      1.fear from the horror storys they have seem or heard on t.v , radio
      and news paper that have happen to some people from being online.
      2.fear that they will have to cut the televison off and learn how to
      use it.
      3. fear of the unknow and of changes in there lifes
      now my girl ask me just how many people do i think had computers on
      our block i would have like to said everyone but i knew that was not
      truth. i would like to ask other in group do they feel there should
      me more detroiter online then it current is and why do they think
      many detroiter do not want to take that step and get online
      norman