[DestinyOutlaws] Eight Years Into the Future

  • Sum
    Message 1 of 11 , May 23, 2011
      A lone rider rode into the town of Dead Water. He was on a tired horse that desperately needed rest. The man himself, looked like he needed a good bath and a long rest, but he knew he couldn't stop or it could mean his death. He had already nearly died from Indians and Outlaws alike, thanks to the quest he had been put on. Sure, he was a good scout, but this had been practically a suicide mission. He would have a bone to pick with his boss that was for sure.

      As he rode through town, his eyes scanned every inch of the streets. No one was trustworthy here. This was a lawless town, and anyone could stab you in the back. Though if anyone did, they would have their ass handed to them by his boss. He made his way past the mercantile, that sold stolen goods, and a couple hotels where he would probably end up once he delivered his information. And hopefully with a lovely girl on his arm too. The thought made him quicken his pace to the nicest saloon in the town.

      Reaching his destination, he tied his horse up at the hitching post glad there was water in the trough next to it for his mare. He entered the saloon and was quickly assaulted by a man in a long duster coat. He was thrown against the wall with a knife to his neck. "Do you have it?" He was asked and he barely nodded for fear his throat would be slit. "Good." He was led to a table in the back away from the other patrons where a person all dressed in black was slowly twirling a knife between their fingers. It was his boss. He couldn't see his bosses face due to the black stetson on his bosses head. The man that had thrown him against the wall leaned down and whispered into his bosses ear, and he froze as the twirling knife stopped. His boss had a reputation with those knives. He watched as the black stetson lifted and deep green eyes bore into his brown ones. He couldn't help but stare. His boss was a woman... and this woman was Kristal Starr. There was a rumor that she was the daughter of Belle Starr, but even she didn't know for sure. She was lovely as women go, honey blonde hair, tan, nice lips, and those piercing green eyes... but she was hardly a woman to get "close" to. Nobody thought of her as feminine.

      "Well? Did you find him?" Kristal asked.

      He swallowed. "Yes Ma'am." He watched as her expression went cold and the man in duster shook his head. "Sorry... er... Miss Starr...?" He tried. If it were any more possible, her eyes went even colder.

      "Kris is fine." She stated simply. "Now tell me what ya found out."

      He swallowed again and relayed what he found. "They're in a valley. Holed up in a small cabin. The Dead River runs near it. There's a small barn to the right of. They got people guarding the cabin all over. I was almost found several times... and they're good at remaining quiet and hidden."

      "And was he in there? Are ya sure the Rattle Snake was in there?" She hissed at him.

      "Yes... Ma'am... I mean Kris. I saw him come out ta smoke. It was him. He got that tattoo of the rattlesnake on his arm. I swear." He spouted and then added. "There were about 15 men that I could count. Not sure if there were more, but that's what I saw. Mostly renegade injuns... They all had weapons... mostly rifles... few had bows and arrows."

      He watched as Kristal sat back and started twirling the knife between her fingers again. There were scars on her fingers, probably from before she had become a pro at twirling that knife. She was thinking and he breathed a little easier for the time being. Although he sat there for what seemed an hour before she looked his way again.

      "Ya can go rest... here's yer pay. I'll let ya know when yer needed again." With that he left a happy man.

      However, Kristal stayed behind and watched him go. He was a good scout and gave her some useful information. Now if only she could get the information she longed for. The emptiness in her memory. She had bits and pieces here and there, but it wasn't good enough. People had claimed that she was the daughter of Belle Starr, but she didn't know for sure.  All she really knew was her name, and that Rattle Snake Jake killed her mother. However, she had found out that her horses name was Midnight and that she was an outlaw... a rather good one too, if she said so herself. Hopefully this Jake Monroe man, will know more about her... and to get the information she wanted she would threaten the man until he died if it came to that...

    • Ashleigh Meyer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 24, 2011

        The blond outlaw took a long drag from his rolled cigarette, his crystal clear eyes trained on the rough looking man standing in front of him.  He’d been staring him down for several minutes, watching for any signs of trickery or deception.  None yet, but you never could tell with a fellow.   “How do I know this aint a trick?” he asked, the paranoia in his eyes belying the tint of sardonic humor in his smile as he dropped his crossed feet down off of the table.  He hadn’t lived this long being a fool, and he wasn’t about to march into something blind.  If Kristal Starr was even still alive.  Kind of an oddball offer to be approached with, if you asked him.

        Licking his lips, Cornelius immediately jumped to his own defense. “It’s not, I swear Mr. Bonney. Believe me, I value my life more than – than that.” He stuttered, the nervous tinge in his voice evident.  He’d had hopes that Billy would come without much hassle, but he was proving to a bit more work than he’d originally thought.  He wouldn’t be lead easily.

        “You should,” Billy agreed, smiling as if he were sharing a joke with a friend, and allowed his hand to trace along the butt of his gun.  The sharp calculation never left his eyes as he continued to stare.  However, a glint of humor touched them at the words.  He wasn’t kidding. If this man screwed him over in any way, he’d be dead before he could even reach for a gun.  And somehow, he was fairly certain Mr. Rains already knew it.   Cornelius didn’t appear to be a stupid man.  Rough, maybe.  A little worn for wears, and uneducated, but not stupid by any means.

        “Have you ever played God?” Billy asked casually, as his gaze dropped down to rest on his gun.  Before Cornelius even had a chance to answer,  he continued. “I have.  I don’t take kindly to treachery.  And believe me, I’ve killed a man for less.”  Once again, a nostalgic smile touched his lips. “You know what he did?” he asked, his tone unchanging.  “He called my mother a whore.” With that, his eyes flashed up to Cornelius Rains, their depths sparked with danger as he stood from the chair and put out the butt of his cigarette.

        The rougher man swallowed, nodding vigorously. “A fine reason, indeed.  But, if you will, we have a meeting to get to with Miss Starr.” His tone meant to prompt Billy, but it was obvious the Kid wasn’t having any kind of rushing.  And he wasn’t about to push him to do so.

        Billy dawned his sombrero hat, flashing a feline’s smile at the other more nervous man and winked. “Let’s go.”  He led the way out, heading straight out to the white stud he had hitched outside and began to untie the reins when Cornelius spoke up. “Oh, no, we wont need to ride – the neighboring saloon isn’t that far.” he said, glancing around him.  He didn’t like to have watchers or look abouts.  It tended to sky rocket his paranoia.  Best to get things done and over with – without a scene.

        “If you think I’m leaving my horse here, you’re nuts,” Billy said, rolling his eyes. “Whether we ride or not – I’m taking my horse.”  No way was he about to leave the stud behind. He’d spent too much on him to risk him being stolen.  Well, it’d been more of a winning poker hand against a Mexican bandito – but, it’d been a fair and square hand.  Same as purchasing.

        “Fair enough,” Cornelius said, leading the way down the street with the outlaw in tow.  He glanced over his shoulder periodically, making sure he was still following, before he disappeared inside the next Saloon.

        Tying his horse off at the hitching rail, Billy followed him inside.  So this was the Saloon where Kristal Starr was supposedly residing.  It didn’t look like much.

        “Ma’am,” Cornelius said, leading Billy to Kristal’s table.  Gesturing behind him, he continued. “This is William Bonney.”

        He stood behind, looking a bit bored.  This was going to be interesting, he was sure.  Coming here, meeting an outlaw who’d supposedly reached an unimaginable status.  Rolling his eyes, he watched as Cornelius floundered to capture her attention.  “Charmed, I’m sure.” Billy said, sounding less than thrilled.

      • Sum
        Message 3 of 11 , May 24, 2011
          Kristal was lost in thought as she sat with her feet propped up on a nearby chair. She had plans that needed to be made, but lacked the firepower to make any attempt at an attack. She had five men that followed her without question, and two more than were expendable because she wasn't quite sure where their loyalties lied. They didn't have her trust, and she would kill them in the blink of an eye if she knew they were up to no good. Danny was her closest confidant so far. But even he didn't know everything. She refused to tell people about her lack of memory. And her men thought they were going after RattleSnake Jake because he stole from her. Which he had... her memory and her mother.

          Just then Cornelius Rains approached her table. He was a fairly decent man, for the most part. However, when he called her "Ma'am" she stiffened. If there was one thing Kristal hated, it was being called Ma'am and miss.... and whore... but that was another thing entirely. Lifting her head, she glared at Rains. "Don't call me that." She practically hissed. When he announced Billy the Kid, her glanced at him before nodding and going back to the knife in her hand.

          Hearing Bonney's greeting, Kristal smirked. "Oh, I highly doubt that." Meeting her was far from charming, she was pretty damn sure. "I'm guessin' yer here 'fer a job... an' since I'm lookin' fer good gun hands... well..." She paused never taking her eyes off her knife. "I guess that means I might be hirin'. So, is it true, ya be lookin' fer a job?" She left it at that. Kris wasn't going to explain anything more... at least not yet. Only Danny knew why she was hiring men. It would have been stupid of her to announce why she was looking for gun hands... though, she knew people guessed.

          Lifting her gaze to Billy once more, she arched an eyebrow. "Funny, ya don't look much like yer wanted posters..." She added absentmindedly and then nodded to a nearby saloon girl to bring her a drink. She wasn't one for pleasantries.

        • Ashleigh
          Message 4 of 11 , May 26, 2011

            >>Just then Cornelius Rains approached her table. He was a fairly decent man, for the most part. However, when he called her "Ma'am" she stiffened. If there was one thing Kristal hated, it was being called Ma'am and miss.... and whore... but that was another thing entirely. Lifting her head, she glared at Rains. "Don't call me that." She practically hissed. When he announced Billy the Kid, her glanced at him before nodding and going back to the knife in her hand.

            "Yes'm," Cornelius said, nodding quickly toward Billy before excusing himself.  Not a matter he particularly cared to a part of.  She wanted gun hands, he'd found her one, a good one.  Hopefully, that would be enough to keep him on her good side for awhile.

            Billy watched him go, allowing his eyes to remain on the man until he disappeared from sight -- out of paranoia.  He trusted no one.  Hell, he barely trusted himself.  Truth be told.  Turning back to Kristal after a long moment, he smiled, cocking his head slightly.  "Depends on the job," he said.  He was looking for a job, but he wasn't a fool – and he wasn't about to put himself out for an impossible errand.  "I'm not a yes man or an errand boy; I do things my way, and I don't much like being told how I can and cannot go about things.  If you're looking for lackeys then no, I'm not.  Like I said, it depends on the job – and the pay."

            Taking a seat across from her, he drew his hat off and laid it in the chair beside him.  She seemed like a smart woman.  She had to be, or she wouldn't have survived.   It was the only way to go about things out here.  You either lived or you died.

            "Why thank ya," he said, offering her another smile for her compliment.  Wasn't often somebody noted a difference between the monster and the man.  He wasn't as bad as they'd painted him to be – and quite honestly, that was a terrible picture they drew from.  But, whatever, shit happened.  What else was there to do?  Not like he could approach the artist and bitch about the job.  "As you know, I'm a man of many talents.  Pleasantry is one of them, but I'm also a background type.  I like anonymity.  Very few people know me – and I prefer it that way.  Can't trust anyone in this day and age..."

          • Sum
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
              Glaring after the man that had just left, Kristal sighed. Why was it she couldn't get her men to stop calling her ma'am or miss? Just plain Kris was fine with her... or even Starr... but no. It had to be Ma'am, or miss... at least there was no lady or madam being said that would probably make her shoot a man. Turning her gaze back on Billy, she scrutinized him for a minute before fingering her glass of whiskey. "The job might be a challenge..." Kris began. For some reason she had a feeling Billy the Kid liked challenges. "That's why I'm hirin' men. And the pays pretty good. It'll last fer a while at least." If there was one thing she did know about Rattlesnake, he had his loot stashed in that cabin, that's why it was so well guarded.

              "As fer what the job entails... well... " She glanced at Danny and he nodded. He shooed people away from their table so they would have no eavesdroppers. "I've got a 'friend" so ta speak, that stole somethin' o' mine. I want it back... an' I aim ta get it. I know he's got a nice stash of all his so called "earnings", in his cabin. Only problem, he's got at least fifteen men guarding that hell hole. It's surrounded by trees though, and there's a rather large river nearby that can be easily used to our advantage. If ya want in, ya can have... half of whatever we find. Like I said, I'm not in it fer the money... I want what the bastard stole." She paused here and traced her finger along the rim of the shot glass. "Only Danny knows exactly what's out there... So, I suggest keeping our conversation to this table alone. I haven't told the rest of my men what we're doing yet.... just that I'm looking for hired guns."

              A slow smirk appeared on her shadowed face, and she nodded. "I agree entirely. Can't trust a damn soul... this is why I'd prefer ya not tell anyone else what we'll find out there. Most o' m' men believe I'll be payin' them... which I will. But they don't need to know what m' "friends" got either." She finally relaxed and sat back. Flicking her hat up a bit so the dim light shone more on her face, Kris picked up the glass and downed it one gulp. Her eyes moved backed to Billy's face and her green eyes glittered with sarcastic mirth "I do indeed know you're a man of many talents. I've heard they range from... well... your bedside manner ta how ya wield a gun. Though, all I need is yer skill with a gun." Kris stated, and turned her gaze away from Billy to a small ruckus that was beginning at the bar...