It begins...

  • ~Sum~
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Eighteen year old Kristal Starr sat on the swing in the old barn
      awaiting Belle's return. A soft smile was splayed over her face as she
      remembered last weeks excursion. They had robbed a stage filled a safe
      box of one thousand dollars. It was enough to last for quite a while.
      She had hid her stash somewhere safe so none of the gang... or
      Belle... or even Casey knew where it was. She loved outlawing. It was
      her life. It was her passion.

      "Ho! Rider comin' in." Someone shouted.

      Kristal hopped off the swing and headed out of the barn. She pulled
      her black stetson that Bell had given her down a bit to shade her eyes
      from the sun. Her face lit up when she saw the riders. It was Belle!
      She raced out and headed for the house where she knew the riders would
      stop. Sure enough, Belle and three of her gang pulled their horses to
      a stop at the porch of the house. Kris reached the house only minutes
      after panting the whole way.

      "Ma..." She began, but quickly stopped. Belle's expression was
      anything but friendly at the moment. What was going on? Both of them
      were supposed to go and pick up Casey at Craig's that evening. Craig's
      nephew Timmy was over and asked if Casey and him could go fishing the
      day before. Belle had readily agreed and had allowed the kid to stay
      the night as well.

      "Pack yer thing's Kris an' fast. We need t' get outta here as fast as
      possible." Belle said turning her grey eyes on the teenager.

      "What, why?" Kristal protested.

      "Don't argue Kristal! Do it now!"

      Shock appeared on Kristal's face. Belle had never demanded anything of
      her so harshly before. Something bad was happening and she didn't know
      what it was, nor did she like it. "Fine." She said stubbornly and
      kicked a wooden bucket over. Walking into the house, Kris went
      straight to her room and began to pack her things in a huff. She
      didn't want to leave the ranch. And now she would need to dig up her
      money stash and bring it with her... and what about Casey? They needed
      to get him. She'd be damned if they were going to leave him behind.
      Belle had some explaining to do and Kris hoped it would be sooner
      rather than later.
    • Sum
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
        After packing everything she held most dear, Kris carried down her bags. Placing them all on the porch, Belle came over and gave her a big hug. "Kristal, my sweet darlin', all I can tell ya right now is that we're goin' ta get yer brother and head ta a friends house. Ya know th' ol' cur." Belle said with a fondness lighting up her grey eyes. "Anyway, we've got some bad folk comin' after us. I don't want ya around when they show up... hell I don't even wanna be around when they show up."

        Kristal eyed Belle with worry in her deep green eyes. "Who's comin' after us Ma? An' why can't we jus' fight 'em off like we've done 'afore?"

        "'Cause Kristal honey, there's more'n them than there are us... a whole hell of alot more. An' they're renegades and outlaws... nothin' good... nothin' I want ya around. I'm jus' glad yer brother's not here."

        Concern crossed Kristal's face. She had never seen her mother like this before. Was there more to it than she had just said? It seemed like it to her. "I'll load my stuff onto Midnight an' the pack horse." The older woman just nodded and Kristal began to head out to the barn.

        "Kristal honey, stay there when yer done... I'll be there after I get my things. Have Midnight saddled and I'll be there shortly." Belle called out and then headed into the house. "We need to leave soon."

        Kristal nodded rushed to the barn as fast as she could with her bags of stuff over her shoulder. Just as she reached the barn, Kristal heard the sound of horses. Turning around Kristal's green eyes narrowed as over ten horses and riders just entered Belle's land. She remained at the barn, but watched the men carefully. Most of them were Indian renegades, the rest were outlaws. Kristal recognized one a few of the men. One of them had tried to woo Belle, even though she was still supposably married to the bastard Sam Starr.

        Unfortunately, Kristal was too far away to hear any words that were said, but when the guns came out and everyone began shooting, Kristal's expression shifted to shock. What was going on? Why were these men attacking like they were? Kristal searched for Belle but didn't find her anywhere. "Oh m' God..." She whispered in angst not sure what to do.

      • Sum
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
          The fighting began and it was brutal.  Many of Belle's men fell within the first few seconds of the gunfight.Belle herself fought gallantly, bringing down quite a few of the outlaws and renegades, but it wasn't enough. In the end Belle was captured. As she was brought to the ground, her gaze turned to the barn. One of the men noticed and sent a few men Kristal's way.

          Kristal, who had had climbed up to the hayloft, had watched everything through a small cut in the barn wall. Seeing Belle fall, Kristal pulled out her gun letting her angry temper start to control her. She was not about to lose her Ma! Her green eyes narrowed as the men approached the barn and she moved to the edge of the hayloft. When one of the men came into view below her, Kristal jumped down and landed on top of them. Both fell to the floor scrambling to get the upper hand. Being the youngest and more lithe than the larger man on top of her, Kristal managed to get her gun cocked and pulled the trigger before the man knew what was going on. The bullet lodged itself deep in the man's skull, ending his life.

          However, the other man managed to regain his footing and lunged at the young girl taking her off guard. Kristal went down, a pile of hay softening her fall. The man then jumped on top of her a knife gleaming in the light from the window above. The smell of smoke suddenly drifted to her nostrils and Kris frowned and glanced back at the open barn door, which ended up being a big mistake. The man brought his knife down and if she hadn't turned just in time, she would have been killed. As it were, her collar bone was slashed from her right shoulder to just above her left breast. Her shirt was cut and her chest burned and seared with pain. Hissing and biting her lip to keep from making any noise, she turned her attention back to the man. His knife slashed in front of her, but Kristal managed to kick the man and crawl away. Free of the hay and the man, she stood up and faced him.

          A scream pierced the air then and Kristal gasped. It had sounded like Belle! Forgetting the man, she raced to the open door to see her ma tied to one of the posts of the house as it burned around her. "Ma!" She screamed and was about to race to save her, but something hard and sharp hit the back of her head. "Ma..." Kristal barely managed to let out as she fell to the ground. The man smirked as another ran over. "She dead?" The man nodded. "I'm sure... doubt anyone could survive a blow like that." The other man cursed. "Ya idiot! The boss wanted the girl alive!" He backhanded the man and then handed kerosene and a match to the one who hit Kristal. "Burn the barn... and her too. We don't want no bodies being found." With that he ran back to the burning house. The man that had fought Kristal kicked her and began to pour the kerosene over the hay. Igniting the fire, he kicked the fallen girl one more time and ran off to join the rest of the men by the house.

        • sweetraspberries86
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2009

            Casey wasnt sure what was going on. He had had his bags packed for an hour now, Belle was supposed to have already picked him up. Where was she? He sat patiently on the wooden planked porch and waited. He fiddled with burlap bag he had his dirty clothes in. They had been fishing that day and his other set of clothes had gotten muddy. Casey sat with his knees drawn up, with his elbows resting on them. His palms resting against his cheeks. Freckles dotted his nose and cheeks, although he would eventually grow out of them. His dark brown, fairly wild hair hung in whisps over his eyes. He whistled to himself to pass the time. He knew that this was not normal. Something was going on. Why was she late? She was never late. He let out a small sigh and withdrew one hand from his cheek and began tracing with his finger on the ground.

            A voice interrupted his daze. "Casey?" He looked around to see who had spoken. It was Craig's mother, who looked just as puzzled as he seemed to be. "Hey.." Casey said in response, in a soft, faint tone of voice. He returned his thoughts onto his mother and Kris. Where were they? Were they coming? Maybe she was going to leave him there? Maybe she didnt want him anymore and this was her way and putting him off on somebody else. He shook his head. No. No! His ma wouldnt do that. There had to be a reason. "Where's your mother?" She asked, in a sincere but curious tone of voice. Casey just shrugged. "I dont know..." He said. "Maybe she's not going to come.." He stated, the thought causing him to frown slightly.

            She sighed at the boy and frowned, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure she'll be here soon honey.." She stated, although wondered herself what was going on. It wasnt like Belle to just leave Casey there. Casey and Kristal were Belle's pride and joy. She loved both kids with all of her heart and wouldve done anything thing for both of them. She wouldnt just leave them somewhere and forget about them like that. "Your mother will be here soon. I'm sure she just got held up.. " She said, with a warm smile. Casey gave a small half grin back and nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure she will.." He said and fell silent. Craig's mother gave him another pat on the shoulder and then turned and headed back into the house, pausing only for a moment to speak to Casey again. "It's hot out here honey. You can come in the house and wait if you like.." She said.

            Casey turned his attention around on her and gave a small shrug. "Nah, I'm ok. She'll be here soon.." Casey said and with a confident sigh, turned his attention back on the dirt driveway, just watching. Little did he know that his mother would never come. He would never see her again, nor his sister. Nor the ranch. He didnt know it at the time but his wait was in vain. She would never show. Her absence would cause Casey to wonder. It would have an effect on him for years to come. He would believe that Belle had abandoned him, not wanting him anymore.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2009
              OOC: This will be the last post of the intro... my next post will be the start of the RPG. :) Hope you liked it so far.

              IC: The young woman was left there with the barn burning around her. Belle's screams rang out for a few minutes until the outlaws left and then it died away. Slowly Kristal woke to find herself in a burning barn, but with no memory on how she got there. Her head ached painfully and she almost grew unconscious once again. However, she knew she needed to get out of the barn or she was going to die. Hearing horses scream with fear, Kristal forced herself to get to her feet. Debris from the barn was falling down around her. Making her way to the back, to where she had heard the horses, she found three horses in the stalls, one as black as midnight. Releasing two of the horses, Kristal nearly collapsed. The smoke inside the barn was thick and it was so very hot.

              The midnight black horse whinnied something awful, which forced Kristal to move once again. To her surprise, this horse was already saddled. "Who did that?" She asked with a frown, not remembering a thing. Releasing the latch on the stable door, she pushed it aside to let the horse out. This one didn't run off though. Coughing, she looked up at the horse wondering what the hell it wanted. She could tell it was frantic, the white in it's eyes was obvious sign of that. The horse nipped her shirt and she frowned. "I don't understand..." she rasped. This time the horse nudged her. Some sort of dawning flashed across her face. "Do ya want me... ta get... on? I don't think I know... how... ta ride..." The horse neighed and nodded his head as if it understood her. "This is crazy... I'm talkin' to a bloody horse." More debris fell around her and she jumped when one fell inches from behind. "Ok..." She mumbled and began coughing again.

              Approaching the horse, Kristal slowly mounted. She barely gripped the saddle horn before the horse took off. It was all she could do to stay on the horse... and it was all she could do to stay conscious as the horse raced out of the burning barn, away from the burning house and up top a hill with a large oak tree and swing. At that  point Kristal slid to the ground and watched as the flames licked the two buildings. "Who lived there... me? God, why can't I remember a damned thing!?" She sat beneath the oak tree and watched the fire burn as the horse grazed near her with minor burns. Soon she fell asleep her head still throbbing something awful.

              "Kristal! Kris! Wake up! God... Kris... I'm dying here... wake up!" Jolted awake, Kristal had a knife in hand and at the mans throat without even realizing what she had done. "Kristal... I'm yer frien'... please don'... don' kill me." Kristal looked at the man and quickly put her knife down. "Who... are you?" She asked warily. The man looked at her with surprise in his brown eyes. "You don't know... me?" He then broke into a coughing fit. "Kristal it's me Felipe... I worked on the horses..." He began coughing again, this time coughing up blood. "You know me? You keep calling me Kristal, is that m' name?" The Mexican frowned, here he was bleeding to death and hoping Kristal would help him and she didn't know who she was. "Dios Mio... Yes Kristal, yer name be Kristal Starr." More coughing. "An' yer Ma... she die in the fire... burned alive she was. Looks like they got to ya too..." He pointed to her chest and she looked down surprised. It didn't even hurt... well not really. The Mexican then went on. "I'm surprise you haven't gone all avenging on me yet." And more coughing with more blood.

              Kristal looked down at the smoldering pile of ash. Most of the house had collapsed in on itself. Her mother had been in that house. She had been burned alive. Anger began to burn in her for some reason, but she didn't feel much. She didn't remember this mother. "Who... Why, would I avenge her? I don't understand..." The Mexican rolled his eyes. "Damn Kris... ya musta been hit in the head pretty hard. Ya see those knives... gun... yer Ma gave 'em to ya... ya know how ta... use... 'em... too. Very well. Yer an outlaw. Ya steal from people, kill people... who try an' hurt yer family an' yer self... Yer... yer damn good at it too." Again with the coughing and spitting up blood. Now the Mexican began to rasp. It was growing difficult to breathe. He knew that bloody renegade had pierced his lung... but hoped he wouldn't die... "Dios Mio..." He mumbled. "The man that killed yer Ma... goes by the name o'... Jake Monroe... also known as Rattle Snake Jake on the account he's been bit by the reptiles... and lived. His posse... came and murdered yer Ma... tried ta kill you I'm guessin'... murdered all o' yer ma's men... well them that wasn't able ta get away... at least..." He took a deep yet strained breath and then tried to continue. "It's only a good... good thing... yer little..." He began coughing again, blood spilling out from his mouth. Kristal scootched back not wanting to be covered in blood. The young woman waited for the Mexican to finish what he was saying... but he never did. He collapsed to the ground dead.

              A frown appeared on her face. This man and his men killed her ma and burned her home... but she didn't even have the name of her mother. What was her mother's name? And what was a good thing? All she had to go on was the fact that she would seek vengeance on the man for destroying her home and murdering her mother. Was that what Kristal Starr would do if she had her memory? What if it was this Jake Monroe who had caused her to have lost her memory? Did she have any other family? The stench of the dead Mexican made her want to vomit. She needed to get away from him. Turning to the black horse, she frowned. She should have asked if this horse was hers. Kristal slowly got up and rummaged through the saddle bags. There was a small stash of money. A book. Some utensils for being on the road. Looking over the saddle she found her name engraved on the saddle. "Well... ya must be mine... but what's yer name Blackie?" She asked. The horse shook his head and snorted. "Well, that must not be it... I guess I'll have to keep trying."

            • sweetraspberries86
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24 7:51 PM
                Craig's mother turned slowly and went back into the house, turning a quick glance back toward Casey's still form, sitting on the front porch. It bothered her that Belle hadn't shown yet. Her absence was puzzling. It wasn't like her to do this and little did she know, Belle wasn't coming. Casey watched quietly, as Craig's mother turned and went back into the house, sighing quietly, barely audible to even himself and returning his gaze back toward the drive. It was oddly quiet and his thoughts returned to the last time he'd seen his adoptive mother, Belle. She'd bid her goodbyes to him, with the promise she'd pick him up the next day and now she was late. Where was she? Or atleast Kristal? This wasn't normal.

                It was getting hot and he decided, to evade the eventual heatstroke, to go back inside, like Craig's mother had suggested. He stood quietly, letting his gaze linger on the road momentarily. He picked up his overnight bag, then turned and went back into the house, letting the door close quietly behind him. Craig's mother was setting the last of the two blackberry pies she'd just made on the windowsill to cool, when she heard the door. Her eyebrows pulled together in confusion.

                'Casey, must still be here..' She thought quietly and made her way to the doorway seperating the kitchen from the foyer. "Casey?" She spoke aloud, her voice coming off confused. "I'd thought Belle would've picked you up by now. She's still not here?" She asked, flickering her gaze toward the front door. "No.." Casey said, his voice, sad. "I don't think she's coming.." He mumbled quietly and dropped his bag at his feet. "I'm sure she'll be here soon.." She assured him, although, she was really starting to wonder.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 23, 2011
                  A lone rider rode into the town of Dead Water. He was on a tired horse that desperately needed rest. The man himself, looked like he needed a good bath and a long rest, but he knew he couldn't stop or it could mean his death. He had already nearly died from Indians and Outlaws alike, thanks to the quest he had been put on. Sure, he was a good scout, but this had been practically a suicide mission. He would have a bone to pick with his boss that was for sure.

                  As he rode through town, his eyes scanned every inch of the streets. No one was trustworthy here. This was a lawless town, and anyone could stab you in the back. Though if anyone did, they would have their ass handed to them by his boss. He made his way past the mercantile, that sold stolen goods, and a couple hotels where he would probably end up once he delivered his information. And hopefully with a lovely girl on his arm too. The thought made him quicken his pace to the nicest saloon in the town.

                  Reaching his destination, he tied his horse up at the hitching post glad there was water in the trough next to it for his mare. He entered the saloon and was quickly assaulted by a man in a long duster coat. He was thrown against the wall with a knife to his neck. "Do you have it?" He was asked and he barely nodded for fear his throat would be slit. "Good." He was led to a table in the back away from the other patrons where a person all dressed in black was slowly twirling a knife between their fingers. It was his boss. He couldn't see his bosses face due to the black stetson on his bosses head. The man that had thrown him against the wall leaned down and whispered into his bosses ear, and he froze as the twirling knife stopped. His boss had a reputation with those knives. He watched as the black stetson lifted and deep green eyes bore into his brown ones. He couldn't help but stare. His boss was a woman... and this woman was Kristal Starr. There was a rumor that she was the daughter of Belle Starr, but even she didn't know for sure. She was lovely as women go, honey blonde hair, tan, nice lips, and those piercing green eyes... but she was hardly a woman to get "close" to. Nobody thought of her as feminine.

                  "Well? Did you find him?" Kristal asked.

                  He swallowed. "Yes Ma'am." He watched as her expression went cold and the man in duster shook his head. "Sorry... er... Miss Starr...?" He tried. If it were any more possible, her eyes went even colder.

                  "Kris is fine." She stated simply. "Now tell me what ya found out."

                  He swallowed again and relayed what he found. "They're in a valley. Holed up in a small cabin. The Dead River runs near it. There's a small barn to the right of. They got people guarding the cabin all over. I was almost found several times... and they're good at remaining quiet and hidden."

                  "And was he in there? Are ya sure the Rattle Snake was in there?" She hissed at him.

                  "Yes... Ma'am... I mean Kris. I saw him come out ta smoke. It was him. He got that tattoo of the rattlesnake on his arm. I swear." He spouted and then added. "There were about 15 men that I could count. Not sure if there were more, but that's what I saw. Mostly renegade injuns... They all had weapons... mostly rifles... few had bows and arrows."

                  He watched as Kristal sat back and started twirling the knife between her fingers again. There were scars on her fingers, probably from before she had become a pro at twirling that knife. She was thinking and he breathed a little easier for the time being. Although he sat there for what seemed an hour before she looked his way again.

                  "Ya can go rest... here's yer pay. I'll let ya know when yer needed again." With that he left a happy man.

                  However, Kristal stayed behind and watched him go. He was a good scout and gave her some useful information. Now if only she could get the information she longed for. The emptiness in her memory. She had bits and pieces here and there, but it wasn't good enough. People had claimed that she was the daughter of Belle Starr, but she didn't know for sure.  All she really knew was her name, and that Rattle Snake Jake killed her mother. However, she had found out that her horses name was Midnight and that she was an outlaw... a rather good one too, if she said so herself. Hopefully this Jake Monroe man, will know more about her... and to get the information she wanted she would threaten the man until he died if it came to that...

                • Ashleigh Meyer
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24, 2011

                    The blond outlaw took a long drag from his rolled cigarette, his crystal clear eyes trained on the rough looking man standing in front of him.  He’d been staring him down for several minutes, watching for any signs of trickery or deception.  None yet, but you never could tell with a fellow.   “How do I know this aint a trick?” he asked, the paranoia in his eyes belying the tint of sardonic humor in his smile as he dropped his crossed feet down off of the table.  He hadn’t lived this long being a fool, and he wasn’t about to march into something blind.  If Kristal Starr was even still alive.  Kind of an oddball offer to be approached with, if you asked him.

                    Licking his lips, Cornelius immediately jumped to his own defense. “It’s not, I swear Mr. Bonney. Believe me, I value my life more than – than that.” He stuttered, the nervous tinge in his voice evident.  He’d had hopes that Billy would come without much hassle, but he was proving to a bit more work than he’d originally thought.  He wouldn’t be lead easily.

                    “You should,” Billy agreed, smiling as if he were sharing a joke with a friend, and allowed his hand to trace along the butt of his gun.  The sharp calculation never left his eyes as he continued to stare.  However, a glint of humor touched them at the words.  He wasn’t kidding. If this man screwed him over in any way, he’d be dead before he could even reach for a gun.  And somehow, he was fairly certain Mr. Rains already knew it.   Cornelius didn’t appear to be a stupid man.  Rough, maybe.  A little worn for wears, and uneducated, but not stupid by any means.

                    “Have you ever played God?” Billy asked casually, as his gaze dropped down to rest on his gun.  Before Cornelius even had a chance to answer,  he continued. “I have.  I don’t take kindly to treachery.  And believe me, I’ve killed a man for less.”  Once again, a nostalgic smile touched his lips. “You know what he did?” he asked, his tone unchanging.  “He called my mother a whore.” With that, his eyes flashed up to Cornelius Rains, their depths sparked with danger as he stood from the chair and put out the butt of his cigarette.

                    The rougher man swallowed, nodding vigorously. “A fine reason, indeed.  But, if you will, we have a meeting to get to with Miss Starr.” His tone meant to prompt Billy, but it was obvious the Kid wasn’t having any kind of rushing.  And he wasn’t about to push him to do so.

                    Billy dawned his sombrero hat, flashing a feline’s smile at the other more nervous man and winked. “Let’s go.”  He led the way out, heading straight out to the white stud he had hitched outside and began to untie the reins when Cornelius spoke up. “Oh, no, we wont need to ride – the neighboring saloon isn’t that far.” he said, glancing around him.  He didn’t like to have watchers or look abouts.  It tended to sky rocket his paranoia.  Best to get things done and over with – without a scene.

                    “If you think I’m leaving my horse here, you’re nuts,” Billy said, rolling his eyes. “Whether we ride or not – I’m taking my horse.”  No way was he about to leave the stud behind. He’d spent too much on him to risk him being stolen.  Well, it’d been more of a winning poker hand against a Mexican bandito – but, it’d been a fair and square hand.  Same as purchasing.

                    “Fair enough,” Cornelius said, leading the way down the street with the outlaw in tow.  He glanced over his shoulder periodically, making sure he was still following, before he disappeared inside the next Saloon.

                    Tying his horse off at the hitching rail, Billy followed him inside.  So this was the Saloon where Kristal Starr was supposedly residing.  It didn’t look like much.

                    “Ma’am,” Cornelius said, leading Billy to Kristal’s table.  Gesturing behind him, he continued. “This is William Bonney.”

                    He stood behind, looking a bit bored.  This was going to be interesting, he was sure.  Coming here, meeting an outlaw who’d supposedly reached an unimaginable status.  Rolling his eyes, he watched as Cornelius floundered to capture her attention.  “Charmed, I’m sure.” Billy said, sounding less than thrilled.

                  • Sum
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24, 2011
                      Kristal was lost in thought as she sat with her feet propped up on a nearby chair. She had plans that needed to be made, but lacked the firepower to make any attempt at an attack. She had five men that followed her without question, and two more than were expendable because she wasn't quite sure where their loyalties lied. They didn't have her trust, and she would kill them in the blink of an eye if she knew they were up to no good. Danny was her closest confidant so far. But even he didn't know everything. She refused to tell people about her lack of memory. And her men thought they were going after RattleSnake Jake because he stole from her. Which he had... her memory and her mother.

                      Just then Cornelius Rains approached her table. He was a fairly decent man, for the most part. However, when he called her "Ma'am" she stiffened. If there was one thing Kristal hated, it was being called Ma'am and miss.... and whore... but that was another thing entirely. Lifting her head, she glared at Rains. "Don't call me that." She practically hissed. When he announced Billy the Kid, her glanced at him before nodding and going back to the knife in her hand.

                      Hearing Bonney's greeting, Kristal smirked. "Oh, I highly doubt that." Meeting her was far from charming, she was pretty damn sure. "I'm guessin' yer here 'fer a job... an' since I'm lookin' fer good gun hands... well..." She paused never taking her eyes off her knife. "I guess that means I might be hirin'. So, is it true, ya be lookin' fer a job?" She left it at that. Kris wasn't going to explain anything more... at least not yet. Only Danny knew why she was hiring men. It would have been stupid of her to announce why she was looking for gun hands... though, she knew people guessed.

                      Lifting her gaze to Billy once more, she arched an eyebrow. "Funny, ya don't look much like yer wanted posters..." She added absentmindedly and then nodded to a nearby saloon girl to bring her a drink. She wasn't one for pleasantries.

                    • Ashleigh
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 26, 2011

                        >>Just then Cornelius Rains approached her table. He was a fairly decent man, for the most part. However, when he called her "Ma'am" she stiffened. If there was one thing Kristal hated, it was being called Ma'am and miss.... and whore... but that was another thing entirely. Lifting her head, she glared at Rains. "Don't call me that." She practically hissed. When he announced Billy the Kid, her glanced at him before nodding and going back to the knife in her hand.

                        "Yes'm," Cornelius said, nodding quickly toward Billy before excusing himself.  Not a matter he particularly cared to a part of.  She wanted gun hands, he'd found her one, a good one.  Hopefully, that would be enough to keep him on her good side for awhile.

                        Billy watched him go, allowing his eyes to remain on the man until he disappeared from sight -- out of paranoia.  He trusted no one.  Hell, he barely trusted himself.  Truth be told.  Turning back to Kristal after a long moment, he smiled, cocking his head slightly.  "Depends on the job," he said.  He was looking for a job, but he wasn't a fool – and he wasn't about to put himself out for an impossible errand.  "I'm not a yes man or an errand boy; I do things my way, and I don't much like being told how I can and cannot go about things.  If you're looking for lackeys then no, I'm not.  Like I said, it depends on the job – and the pay."

                        Taking a seat across from her, he drew his hat off and laid it in the chair beside him.  She seemed like a smart woman.  She had to be, or she wouldn't have survived.   It was the only way to go about things out here.  You either lived or you died.

                        "Why thank ya," he said, offering her another smile for her compliment.  Wasn't often somebody noted a difference between the monster and the man.  He wasn't as bad as they'd painted him to be – and quite honestly, that was a terrible picture they drew from.  But, whatever, shit happened.  What else was there to do?  Not like he could approach the artist and bitch about the job.  "As you know, I'm a man of many talents.  Pleasantry is one of them, but I'm also a background type.  I like anonymity.  Very few people know me – and I prefer it that way.  Can't trust anyone in this day and age..."

                      • Sum
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
                          Glaring after the man that had just left, Kristal sighed. Why was it she couldn't get her men to stop calling her ma'am or miss? Just plain Kris was fine with her... or even Starr... but no. It had to be Ma'am, or miss... at least there was no lady or madam being said that would probably make her shoot a man. Turning her gaze back on Billy, she scrutinized him for a minute before fingering her glass of whiskey. "The job might be a challenge..." Kris began. For some reason she had a feeling Billy the Kid liked challenges. "That's why I'm hirin' men. And the pays pretty good. It'll last fer a while at least." If there was one thing she did know about Rattlesnake, he had his loot stashed in that cabin, that's why it was so well guarded.

                          "As fer what the job entails... well... " She glanced at Danny and he nodded. He shooed people away from their table so they would have no eavesdroppers. "I've got a 'friend" so ta speak, that stole somethin' o' mine. I want it back... an' I aim ta get it. I know he's got a nice stash of all his so called "earnings", in his cabin. Only problem, he's got at least fifteen men guarding that hell hole. It's surrounded by trees though, and there's a rather large river nearby that can be easily used to our advantage. If ya want in, ya can have... half of whatever we find. Like I said, I'm not in it fer the money... I want what the bastard stole." She paused here and traced her finger along the rim of the shot glass. "Only Danny knows exactly what's out there... So, I suggest keeping our conversation to this table alone. I haven't told the rest of my men what we're doing yet.... just that I'm looking for hired guns."

                          A slow smirk appeared on her shadowed face, and she nodded. "I agree entirely. Can't trust a damn soul... this is why I'd prefer ya not tell anyone else what we'll find out there. Most o' m' men believe I'll be payin' them... which I will. But they don't need to know what m' "friends" got either." She finally relaxed and sat back. Flicking her hat up a bit so the dim light shone more on her face, Kris picked up the glass and downed it one gulp. Her eyes moved backed to Billy's face and her green eyes glittered with sarcastic mirth "I do indeed know you're a man of many talents. I've heard they range from... well... your bedside manner ta how ya wield a gun. Though, all I need is yer skill with a gun." Kris stated, and turned her gaze away from Billy to a small ruckus that was beginning at the bar...