Ambient File

  • David Baldacchino
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 10:16 AM
      I refer to an email that Chas sent regarding the re-usage of ambient files (13th March). I did a rendering and saved the ambient file (which amounted to about 78MB). I created another scenario and the only thing that changed was the viewpoint. The location, time of day, lights (no artificial lights, daylighting only), materials, etc. remained the same. So I typed the original name of the ambient file in the advanced menu and the "save ambient data" was checked. Yet, in the RPICT window I could see that the file had been deleted (there was the text "del ambientfilename.amb") and when I looked in the project folder, the ambient file was being written all over again. I have a copy of the original ambient file. Am I doing something wrong? Re-using this file would save me a lot of time. Thanks.

      Regards,
      David B.
    • David Baldacchino
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5 12:22 AM
        Regarding the use of a previously used ambient file, I figured that you have to uncheck the "save ambient data" checkbox after you type the name of the file so it doesn't overwrite it (I guess it was too obvious!).

        Regarding the question raised by "pardott", is there a way to get out information from the ambient file regarding the Daylight Factor? There are methods of calculating approximate values for the DF (Ex. as outlined in "Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings" by Stein & Reynolds) but it would be nice if I could verify those calculations or see how valid they are or vice versa. Thanks.

        Dave B.