Tuesday Speed Workout

  • runuphillracing
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
      This week's speed workout will be at Boettcher Mansion Nature Center
      in Genesee. Meet in the lot, in front of the nature center, at 6:00pm.

      The Nature Center is at about 7,400', so it should be noticeably cooler than the city.

      Workout: This will be the same as last week's workout. Start with a
      10-15 minute warm-up. You can do this on the trails either inside or
      outside the Nature Center. Include one loop of the workout course in
      the warm-up. The workout course will be a clockwise loop of the Meadow
      Loop trail. I, Adam won't be there. Those of you who have done this before, please show the course to the newer runners.

      Start at the bottom of the trail, by the wood fence. Run hard,
      following the trail as it curves right, back to the left, to where the
      trail bends right and dips, just before climbing; a little over ¼ mi.
      Jog easy up the hill, around the right curve, and the next left curve.
      Go hard again before the next right curve, and continue hard to the
      trail junction. Turn right and jog easy down the hill, right at the
      next junction, and down to the wood fence. Start the loop going hard
      again. Continue repeating the loops, going hard/easy for 25-30
      minutes. Then, regroup at the upper junction and jog as a group back
      to the cars.

      Directions: Take I70 to the Lookout Mountain/Buffalo Bill exit, #256,
      then follow large brown signs.
      From Denver, take a right from the off ramp, then an immediate left on
      the frontage road, US40.
      Go ¾ mi to Lookout Mtn Rd, the 2nd street.
      Turn right and go ~1.4mi
      Turn left at Colorow and go ~1.2mi to the mansion.

      From Golden and north: Take hwy 93 S to hwy 6 E, to Lookout Mtn
      Rd/19th Street.
      Turn right, W up the road. Follow the winding road ~5.5 miles up.
      About ¼ mi after the road flattens out, just past the Buffalo Bill
      museum, take the next right onto Colorow Rd.
      Go ~3/4 mi to the mansion.

      Links to trail maps:
      http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R14.htm
      http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/windys.pdf
      http://jeffco.us/boettcher/index.htm

      These workouts are for runners of all abilities. (The only exception
      is for beginning runners or those coming back after a long lay-off.
      You should build a good base, with lower effort, and gradually longer
      runs, before you start doing speed work.) The group stays in a compact
      area (e.g., short loop or out-and-back), so no one will get left
      behind. We run for time, not distance, so we'll start and finish
      together. The route is designed typically with the hard efforts on
      climbs and/or non-technical terrain; descents and rocky terrain will
      be easy efforts. The purpose is to combine track-like speed workouts
      with power training for hills.

      The Tuesday workouts will continue as long as there is interest and
      daylight.
    • denvertrailrunners
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14 5:29 AM
        Join us for the first trail speed workout of the season.

        Where: Green Mtn., Rooney Road lot. Remember that Alameda is closed
        over C470. You can only get to the lot from Colfax/US40 on the North,
        or hwy 93, the road from I70 to Morrison.

        When: Tuesday, April 15 (get your taxes done), 6:00pm. Meet Adam by
        the large trail map.

        What: After an easy warm-up, we'll do a series of short, uphill
        sprints. The focus is on building power.

        Who: All runners. All speeds are welcome. The workout is designed to
        keep people fairly close together. We stay in a compact area. No one
        will get dropped. Slow and fast will finish at the same place, at the
        same time.

        Future workouts: If there is interest in continuing these workouts, we
        need people willing to "lead" them. "Lead" gathering the people at the
        start and explaining the workout. It doesn't mean being the fastest.
        It doesn't have to mean designing the workouts. Adam will not be able
        to make a lot of these, but is willing to design the workouts each
        week, as long as someone else can "lead" the workouts.
      • runuphillracing
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2008
          Looks like rain/snow today. For those of you who still want to do a
          workout, ...

          When: 6:00pm

          Where: Red Rocks, meet at the Trading Post.

          What: Warm-up to end up at the upper 3-way junction after about 10
          minutes. Then, start at the bottom of the road to the Observation
          point, OBS on the map. Run hard up to the OBS lot. Jog back down.
          Repeat for 20-25 minutes.
        • runuphillracing
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2008
            This evening's speed workout will be at Chief Hosa. It should be
            cooler up there.

            When: Meet at 6pm, just below the lodge.

            What: Uphill VO2Max type intervals.

            Warm-up by going the normal way, up the dirt road to the right of the
            lodge (blue line). About 2/3 mi, at the 3-way junction, you can leave
            water bottles, keys, extra clothing, etc. there. Go left, and continue
            your warm-up down the hill to where it starts to flatten out, just
            past the dirt driveway on the left.

            Workout: Run hard, uphill, from the bottom, to the 3-way junction.
            This is about 1/3mi long, and about 120' in climbing. Warren and I
            were doing these in about 2:15-2:20 last year. Jog back down the hill.
            Repeat for about 25 minutes, 4-6 total.

            Cool-down: Regroup at the top, at the 3-way. Go right, and jog back
            down to lodge.

            For directions and route map, go to http://dtr.runuphillracing.com