Snowshoe Saturday and Full Moon Monday

  • denvertrailrunners
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      SNOWSHOE
      Everyone is invited to go snowshoeing with us on Saturday. Meet at the
      Cold Spring park-and-ride lot at 10am.

      The lot is at 5th & Union in Lakewood. Take 6th ave to the Simms/Union
      exit. Go S 1 block. Turn left at the light. Turn left into the lot.
      We'll meet towards the NE corner of the lot. Look for my white Prius,
      lic plate RUNUPHL, with a bike rack on top.

      From there, we'll arrange car pools and figure out a place to go. My
      initial thoughts are to go towards Squaw Pass, along the road between
      Evergreen and Echo Lake (base of Mt. Evans). We'll go as high as
      necessary to find good snow, but as close to town as possible. It'll
      be about a 45-50 min drive ea way, depending on road conditions. We'll
      snowshoe for 1-2 hours, depending on the groups' wishes. We should be
      back to Lakewood by 2pm.

      We will go at a slow enough pace to keep everyone together. For those
      who want to run and get in a vigorous workout, you can run ahead and
      back so that we don't get too far apart. We'll do most of the uphills
      on packed trails (depending on location), and go off trail on some of
      the downhills. Weeee! It's fun running downhill in powder.

      I have a few extra pair of snowshoes to lend (in addition to the one
      for John). If you want to borrow a pair, please reserve them in
      advance, by e-mail. Once they're gone, you'll have to bring your own.
      You can rent snowshoes at most ski rental stores, outdoor/back-country
      stores (REI, Bent Gate or Alpenglow in Golden), and some running
      stores (Runners Roost in Lakewood and Denver, Boulder Running Company
      in Littleton). Please rent a recreational or running shoe, not a
      back-country shoe. The biggest size anyone should need is 8"x25".
      Don't worry too much about the size ratings for Saturday.

      Wear the same type of gear you'd use for winter biking or cross
      country skiing. Wear wool or synthetic fabrics; avoid cotton. Wear
      layers. Snowshoeing is the warmest winter sport. You'll probably want
      to shed layers as we go. Wear slick outer layers, like nylon wind
      pants/jackets. Fleece acts like velcro for snow. The biggest issue is
      keeping your feet warm. Wear neoprene or gore-tex socks, if you have
      them. Otherwise, wear warm wool socks. Some people wear plastic
      supermarket bags over their socks. Lightweight hiking shoes, x-c ski
      boots, or gore-tex trail running shoes work great. I'll probably be
      wearing running shoes with neoprene socks. Small gaitors are a good
      idea too.

      If you are running late, or are coming from up the hill and want to
      meet us in Bergen Park, please call on Sat morning. 303-870-0487

      FULL MOON
      Monday's full moon run will be at Chief Hosa, at 6:15pm. This is a
      fairly easy run, mostly on a groomed dirt road, with a moderate grade.
      This is a social run, slow paced for the faster runners, designed to
      keep people together.

      If you are new to DTR, or unfamiliar with the trails, directions or
      ratings, please follow the link below to maps, route descriptions,
      driving directions, FAQs, and other information.
      http://dtr.runuphillracing.com/