First week of the 5th season!

  • Adam Feerst
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2004
      + Welcome to the 5th season
      + Thursday evening run: Bear Creek Lake Park (T=2, P=1-2, N=2)**
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: Elk Meadow, lower lot (T=3,
      P=3, N=3)**
      + Races, clinics and other upcoming events
      + Other weekend outings and carpool opportunities

      Welcome to the start of the 5th season of the DenverTrailRunners. We've
      turned our clocks ahead. It stays light late. It's time to come out and
      join us and have some fun.

      Thanks for all of your survey responses and comments. More on that
      later. For now, we are going to make a much better effort to make
      newcomers feel more welcome. For one, we are going to try regrouping,
      in sub-groups, at key junctions along the run. This will help those new
      to the trails find the way.

      If you are new to the group, try to show up a few minutes early. We are
      usually the only group of runners at the trailhead. We will try to take
      the time to introduce newcomers to the regulars before we start.
      Someone will briefly review the course. If you haven't run the trail
      before, please read the course directions below. We will gather up
      again at the end and make sure everyone is back safely. If you are
      going be out longer, please let us know ahead of time so we won't worry
      about you. After the run, everyone is invited to join us for dinner. We
      pick the place after the run.

      We really do have runners of all abilities. This isn't just for fast
      runners. While at the fast end we have a few who run 10ks in the low
      30s, one of our regulars is a 70-minute 10k runner. He's almost always
      the slowest at the Thursday night runs, and often the last place
      finisher at races, but he almost always has a smile on his face, has a
      great time at our runs, and continues to get better.

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday's run is at Bear Creek Lake Park (T=2, P=1-2, N=2).** The
      main group will start at 6:15pm. A smaller group usually meets at
      5:30pm; look for Scott, Ray, Connie or Kim.

      This is a great run for beginners. The run isn't that challenging and
      is fairly easy to follow. In case of rain, the park roads offer a great
      alternative to the trails.

      Directions: Take C-470 to Morrison Rd. Go west. Take the first right at
      Rooney Rd, then an immediate right into the dirt lot, across from the
      Conoco Station. To avoid C470 traffic from the north, stay on I70 to
      the Red Rocks exit, #259. Go south ~2.5mi into Morrison. Turn left at
      the light in Morrison and go ~1/2mi to the Conoco station. Meet in the
      lot. There's a bathroom in the Conoco station, and several in the park.

      Main Route (in blue on attached): The run starts by taking the bike
      path across Morrison Rd into the park. Run under C-470. Jog right
      across the first bridge, then an immediate left onto a single track.
      Run through the picnic area [1], cross the road, and pick up the trail
      on the other side. Continue following the path east along the south
      side of Bear Creek, around the horse fences and past the exercise
      stations. About 1.75mi from the start, the path curves right. Look for
      a short single track on the left heading over a small hill. This leads
      to a large, dirt, parking lot. Cross the lot, staying to the right
      side. Head between the large rocks on the other side of the lot, then
      down the hill to the creek. Cross the creek on the rocks [2]. Go left
      on the trails and head to the road at the base of the mountain [3]. Go
      left on the road and follow it across the base of the dam. Before you
      reach the other end of the dam, go left on the single track and follow
      it back west along the edge of the lake. Cross through the fisherman's
      parking lot [5]. Just after the trees on the other side, go left onto
      the dirt path. Follow this back west, along the north side of Bear
      Creek. At the end of the trail, come up to the road, continue west past
      the tollbooth, onto the bike path, then back under C-470 to the finish.

      You can also take the park road back. At the north end of the dam, go
      past the single track and around the chain to the road. Go left and
      take it all the way back. Or, at the fisherman's lot [5], go right out
      to the road, then left onto the road.

      Additional options for faster runners (red lines):

      At the picnic area [1], head right, cross the road, then take the left
      most trail heading up the hill. The trail heads across the edge of the
      small plateau. After a short distance, look for a trail on the left.
      Make a sharp left, go around the horse fence, down the hill, back to
      the main route, then go right.

      At the base of the mountain [3], cross the road and climb the
      single-track to the top. At the top, follow the single track on the
      left. After ~1/4 mile, go left at the fork and drop down to the road
      atop the dam [4].

      From there [4], you can either go across the top, or drop down to the
      bottom of the dam. To go across the top, go around the fence, then left
      across the top of the dam. At the north end, make a sharp left down the
      road. Go into the lot at the bottom of the road, past the bathrooms,
      pick up a trail heading down to the lake, then go right to fisherman's
      lot. To head down to the bottom, make a sharp left just before the
      fence at the top of the dam. Go down the trail alongside the rocks to
      the road. Go right on the road and follow the main route.

      From the fisherman's lot [5], head up to and cross the road. Take the
      trail that's just to the right of the dirt road (to Coyote Crossing),
      but left of the gully. At the top of the hill, veer left alongside the
      irrigation ditch. Look for a bridge on the right. Cross the bridge,
      then go left onto the trail. At the end (near Morrison Rd), go around a
      chain and make a left, through the fence line, and take the short,
      steep trail back into the park. Go right on the road to the finish.

      Road options: If the trails are muddy, stay straight and onto the park
      road when entering the park. Turn at ~30 minutes and return the same
      way. If you reach the base of the dam, go left and climb the road to
      the top. You can continue around the gate and down the bike path on the
      other side before returning. Instead, the faster runners might go right
      at the base of the dam, then follow the bike path back to the start.

      ++++++++++

      This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at Elk Meadow,
      lower lot (T=3, P=3, N=3).** The run starts at 8:30am sharp. Trail maps
      and park info is at
      http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dpt/comm_res/openspac/elk.htm

      Take the Evergreen Parkway, hwy 74, exit 252 from I-70. Continue
      through Bergen Park ~4.5 mi. Just after you pass Elk Meadow on your
      right, turn right at the light at the bottom of the hill, turn right
      onto Lewis Ridge Rd., then an immediate right into the dirt lot.

      The ERC runs are usually 60-90 minutes long. Occasionally, some people
      will start early, or run longer, to get in more mileage. They usually
      go out for coffee/breakfast afterwards. Several of us do the ERC runs,
      but I don't organize them. Please forward your questions to Dave via
      the link below ERC. For more info about the ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      Schedule:
      4/17: Beaver Brook Trail, Genesee.

      ++++++++++

      ^ I am giving two free talks in April. I'd really appreciate having you
      come out and support (or heckle) me at one or both of these talks.
      You'll also get some valuable information to improve your training.

      4/10; Mother/Daughter snowshoe; Rocky Mountain National Park;
      http://www.womenswilderness.org; (303) 938-9191

      4/17; Red Rocks 5-miler; Red Rocks ampitheatre;
      http://www.comastersrun.org; (303) 430-8731

      ^ 4/21, 7pm: "Raise Your Training IQ" Free talk/discussion on how to
      use your time more effectively and customize your own training program.
      By Adam Feerst. Two Feet To Go, 3875 Tennyson, Denver, (303) 458-7700,
      www.twofeettogo.com, www.runuphillracing.com

      4/25; Trail Running 101; 3+ hr trail running clinic; Denver foothills,
      http://www.runuphillracing.com; www.active.com;
      info@...; Adam; (303) 282-3921

      ^ 4/28, 7pm: "Raise Your Training IQ" Free talk/discussion on how to
      use your time more effectively and customize your own training program.
      By Adam Feerst. Runners Roost, 1685 S. Colorado Blvd., (303) 759-8455,
      www.runnersroost.com, www.runuphillracing.com

      5/1; Spring Desert Ultra; 25m/50m; Fruita; www.geminiadventures.com;
      303-652-9949

      5/1; Collegiate Peaks Marathon; 25m/50m; Buena Vista;
      www.collegiatepeakstrailrun.org; 719-395-6612

      5/8; The Great Escape trail run; 5k, 10k, 1/2-marathon; Deer Creek
      Canyon park; http://www.bewellweb.com/oneworld/thegreatescape.htm;
      thegreatescape@...; (303) 664-1737

      ++++++++++

      Looking for company on a long weekend run? Want to carpool to a
      snowshoe race, Incline Club run or other outing? Let me know and I'll
      send out the word. Please send me specific information about where and
      when you want people to meet, or how to contact you. Try to send me the
      information a week in advance so I have time to get it into my weekly
      message.

      ** Trail Rating - 1-5 scale, 1 being the easiest.
      T = technical difficulty (rocks, narrow, curves, etc.)
      P = physical difficulty (length, steepness and number of climbs)
      N = navigational difficulty (ease of following the routes)