Aug 26

  • Adam Feerst
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2003
      + Thursday evening run and picnic: Chimney Gulch/Lookout Mtn
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: O'Fallon Park
      + Trail races, Clinics and other upcoming events
      + DTR team for XC championships
      + Aug 30 fun run and potluck
      + Other weekend outings and carpool opportunities

      The Wednesday morning runs are cancelled until further notice. I
      don't know if anyone has been showing up. If I hear of people showing
      up, or if you'd like to start something at Red Rocks or another
      location/time, I'll be happy to post the info to the group.

      ++++++++++

      If you ran at Falcon last week and I didn't get your time, please
      send it to me.

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday's run is at Chimney Gulch/Lookout Mtn (T=2, P=3). The
      main group will start at 6:15pm. A more casual group sometimes starts
      at 5:30pm. I will not be there this week, so look for some of the
      regulars to explain the route.

      Directions: Meet at the dirt turnout, at the first hairpin turn, just
      above the pillars. Take hwy 6 to Golden. Turn west at Lookout
      Mtn/19th ave. The turnout is about 3/4-mile up, just above the
      pillars. There's a porta-potty in the small park on the left, below
      the pillars.

      Route: Run up the road about 1/2-mi, then look for the trail on the
      left. Head up the trail for about 2 mi. Cross the road at Windy
      Saddle and pick up the trail on the other side. In another 1/4-mi, go
      left at the next trail junction (do not take the Beaver Brook trail).
      About a mile further up, take a sharp right and continue about
      another 1/3-mi to the Boettcher Mansion. Slower runners should turn
      before the mansion and return along the same route. Judge your time
      accordingly. The run should be about 1:00-1:10. Turn at about 40
      minutes if you haven't made it to the top; it's a lot faster going
      back downhill.

      If you make it to the mansion, there are 3 options to return: 1) The
      quickest route is to return the same way you came up. 2) For the next
      longest route, go left on the road at the mansion. Go left again at
      Lookout Mtn Rd. About another ΒΌ mile down the road, look for a park
      on the left, then look for a trail on the left. This will merge back
      with the trail we took up at the last junction before the mansion.
      Stay right at the fork and continue down the same way you came up. 3)
      For an even longer route, take the trail that goes around the right
      side of the mansion. Go left at Lookout Mtn Rd for about 1 mile.
      Then, look for the park on your left and follow the route above.
      Note: we sometimes wait for others at the mansion, then continue as a
      group.

      For more details on the route and directions to the start (only
      available if you have a Yahoo ID) go to:
      groups.yahoo.com/group/denvertrailrunners
      click on Files
      click on Trails
      open Lookout-Chimney.htm

      Schedule (subject to change):
      9/4: Green Mtn
      9/11: tbd
      9/18: Mt. Falcon time trial

      ++++++++++

      This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at O'Fallon
      Park (T=2, P=3) at 8:30am sharp.

      Take C-470 to the Morrison exit, hwy 74. Go west, through Morrison,
      and continue about 5mi to Kittredge. The park entrance is on the
      left, shortly before the intersection with Meyers Gulch Road.

      The ERC runs are usually about an hour long. Sometimes a few people
      will meet early or continue after the run to get in more mileage.
      They usually go out for coffee/breakfast afterwards. I don't lead
      these runs, so please don't ask me the questions. For more info about
      the ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      Schedule:
      9/6: Bergen Peak race
      9/13: Evergreen Lake House
      9/20: Beaver Brook Trail
      9/27: Alderfer/3 Sisters
      10/4: Cougar 5k race

      ++++++++++

      Races, clinics, and other trail related events:

      8/30; Breckenridge Crest; 5mi, 11mi, 26.2mi; Breckenridge

      8/30; Marathon Training Series; 20mi; Discovery Pavilion, Chatfield;
      www.rmrr.org; rmrr@...; (303) 871-8366

      8/31; 10k@10000; 10k; Steamboat; www.runningseries.com; (970) 879-0371

      9/3; Harrier Criterium; 5k; Bear Creek Lake Park; (303) 982-1970

      9/6; Bergen Peak; 5.8mi, 11.5mi; Evergreen; Sharon Martin; (303) 674-
      6441

      9/6; Imogene Pass; 17.1mi; Telluride; www.imogenerun.com

      9/7; Trophy Series; 8mi; Chatfield; www.rmrr.org; (303) 871-8366

      9/7; Orienteering meet; Palmer Park, CO Springs; www.rmoc.org

      9/12; Colorado Relay; 170mi; Idaho Springs; www.coloradorelay.com

      9/13; Chatfield 10miler; 10mi; Chatfield; www.comastersrun.org; (303)
      791-3384

      9/13; Kremmling Road Kill Trail Half Marathon; 13.1m, 10k, 5k;
      Kremmling; www.runningseries.com; (970) 724-3472

      9/16; Georgetown Classic; 5k; Georgetown; (303) 982-1970

      9/21; Orienteering meet; Cherry Creek State Park; www.rmoc.org

      9/21; Como to Breckenridge; 20mi; Como; www.rmrr.org; (303) 871-8366

      9/27; Evergold 10k; 10km; Vail;
      www.vailrec.com/adult/running_races/index.html; (970) 479-2280

      9/30; Dakota Ridge Invitational; 5k; Dakota Ridge HS, Littleton;
      (303) 982-1970

      10/4; Galloping Antelope; 10km, 50km; Sterling;
      www.coloradosportspromotions.com/; Charl Mattheus

      10/4; Lair O' the Bear; 10mi; Idledale; Sharon Martin; (303) 674-6441
      x26

      * 10/4; USATF CO XC Championships; 5.8k women & men 60+; 8k men;
      Boulder; tpdolen@...; Tim Dolen

      10/5; Orienteering meet; Bear Creek Lake Park; www.rmoc.org

      10/11; Telegraph Trail; 25k, 50k; Durango; www.durangomarathon.com

      10/12; Coal Creek X-C; 5.5mi; Louisville; www.comastersrun.org; (303)
      791-3384

      10/18; Orienteering meet; Kelly Dahl, Nederland; www.rmoc.org

      11/2; Trophy Series; 10mi; Waterton; www.rmrr.org; (303) 871-8366

      11/22; Scapegoat; Orienteering; Florrisant; www.rmoc.org

      ++++++++++

      * Oct 4 is the USATF state x-c championships in Boulder. Is there an
      interest in putting together a man's and/or women's
      DenverTrailRunners team(s)? I cannot do the race, but will help
      organize the team(s). See the listing above for more details on the
      race.

      ++++++++++

      Aaron Ruhnow will be hosting a trail run Saturday August 30 at Deer
      Creek at 8AM. Bring your mountain bike for some riding after if you'd
      like.

      Everyone is also invited to the Ruhnow's for a potluck after. This
      will be the first Saturday of College Football, and anyone interested
      is welcome to stick around and watch the games with us. People are
      invited to bring along kids/friends/family.

      Map to the Ruhnow's:
      1438 E Sunnyside St.
      Highlands Ranch
      http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?
      ed=CCOzK.p_0Ton2DL_YiYd_TkOI6XPvDc165k2Xg--&csz=Littleton%2C+CO+80126-
      2420&country=us

      Looking for company on a long weekend run? Want to carpool to a
      mountain race, Incline Club run or other outing? Let me know and I'll
      send out the word. Please send me specific information about where
      and when you want people to meet, or how to contact you. Please try
      to send me the information a week in advance so I have time to get it
      into my weekly message. Don't wait for me to plan everything!