May 6

  • Adam Feerst
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2003
      + Wednesday morning run: Red Rocks stairs and trails
      + Thursday evening run: South Table Mtn
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: O'Fallon Park
      + Tue/Thu midday runs
      + Trail races, Clinics and other upcoming events
      + Volunteer opportunities
      + Other weekend outings and carpool opportunities
      + Trail/Mud Reports

      There are now 600+ people on the Yahoo list! I continue to be amazed.

      ++++++++++

      The Wednesday morning run is at Red Rocks at 6am. We will meet here
      every Wednesday until further notice. We will do some stair repeats -
      great for building hip power and running up hills - along with a warm-
      up and cool-down on the roads/trails around the ampitheatre.

      From C470, take the Morrison exit. Head west, through the town of
      Morrison. Go past the traffic light at hwy 8. Take the next right and
      follow the signs to the Trading Post.

      From I-70, take the Red Rocks exit, #259. Go south, about 1 mile down
      the hill. Turn right into Red Rocks and follow the signs to the
      Trading Post.

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday's run is at South Table Mtn (T=3, P=2). The early group
      will meet at 5:30pm; look for Mike, Chris, Connie, Jim and others.
      The main group will start at 6:15pm.

      Meet at the NREL visitors' lot. Take I-70 to Denver West Blvd. Go
      north to the stop sign. Turn left. Go 2 blocks to the NREL lot. From
      6th ave, exit at Indiana. Go north to Colfax. Turn right and continue
      past the shopping center. Turn left at Denver West Marriott Blvd. Go
      over I-70 and follow the directions above. There is no bathroom or
      changing facilities at this site. You can stop at the nearby Denver
      West Shopping Center or Marriott Hotel.

      This is a fairly easy run - it's a short trip to the top of the
      mountain and the top is fairly flat, although rocky in spots - but
      finding the route can be difficult - there are few landmarks and NO
      trail signs. Please pay attention to critical junctions as you run.
      You've been warned!

      Route: Head up the single track from the lot. Stay left at the fork
      just after the start. About 1/4-mile later, just before the top, make
      a sharp right. At the top, head north towards the phone lines. At the
      north end of the plateau, go left and follow the jeep trail to the
      west. You will pass by an E-W fence line, then cross a N-S fence
      line. A short distance later, stay right at the fork. Follow the
      trail around the small hill until it meets a larger jeep road.
      REMEMBER THIS TURN FOR THE WAY BACK! Bear right and head west towards
      the power lines. Depending on time, continue past the power lines,
      down a hill, then up the "Golden Stairs" to a rock perch overlooking
      the town of Golden, at the far western edge of the plateau. Head back
      the same way.

      At no time should you cross the paved CDOT test track. If you get
      there by mistake, head north until you find the trail.

      The faster runners will take a different route, if I can talk them
      into it (I have to find a way to keep them from getting too far ahead
      of me). Near the start of the jeep road, go right. We'll follow a
      trail out to the northern edge, overlooking Coors, then loop around
      the west edge to the "Golden Stairs." We'll head back the more direct
      route.

      Schedule (subject to change):
      5/15-Mt. Falcon. 1st time trial of the season  2.5mi, 1,600', plus a
      post time trial casual run.
      5/22-North Table Mtn
      5/29-Deer Creek

      ++++++++++

      This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at O'Fallon
      Park (T=2, P=3) at 8:30am sharp. Take C-470 to the Morrison exit, hwy
      74. Go west, through Morrison, and continue about 5mi to Kittredge.
      The park entrance is on the left, shortly before the intersection
      with Meyers Gulch Road.

      The ERC runs are usually about an hour long. Sometimes a few people
      will meet early or continue after the run to get in more mileage.
      They usually go out for coffee/breakfast afterwards. I don't lead
      these runs, so please don't ask me the questions. For more info about
      the ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      Upcoming ERC schedule:
      May 17: Elk Meadow, lower lot. First ascent of the year. Yup,
      let's try to go to the top.
      May 24: Three Sisters. Meet at the yellow house.

      ++++++++++

      Tia Rosen is looking for company on her Tue/Thur midday, 12:30-1:00pm
      trail runs. At the Hogback, Red Rocks and Green Mtn. Contact her at
      TiaTbr@...

      ++++++++++

      Saturday; 5/10; Orienteering meet; Black Forest Reg Park, Co Sprgs;
      www.rmoc.org

      Saturday; 5/17; Memorial Run; 5km/10km; deKoevend; (303) 791-3384

      Saturday; 5/17; Lory Trail Race; 10mi; Lory St Park, Ft. Collins;
      www.runnersroostftcollins.com; (970) 224-9114

      Sunday; 5/18; Orienteering meet; White Ranch; www.rmoc.org

      Sunday; 5/18; Hayden Cog Run; 8.2m, 10k, 5k; Steamboat;
      www.runningseries.com; (970) 276-3741

      Saturday; 5/24; Hot Springs Short Cut; 7mi; Steamboat;
      www.runningseries.com; (970) 879-9853

      Saturday; 5/31; Tails on Trails; 3.5mi; White Ranch;
      http://active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1061204;
      runahill@...; (303) 282-3921

      Sunday; 6/1; Mt. Evans Ascent; 14.5mi; Idaho Springs;
      www.racingunderground.com; danelle@...; Danelle Ballengee;
      (970) 389-4838

      Saturday; 6/7; Trail Running 101; Trail running clinic taught by me;
      groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/files/; runahill@...;
      Adam; (303) 282-3921

      Saturday; 6/7; Teva Spring Runoff; 10km; Vail;
      www.vailrec.com/adult/running_races/index.html; (970) 479-2280

      Saturday; 6/7; Turquoise Lake; 20km; Leadville; kendrafullcircle@
      yahoo.com

      Saturday; 6/7; Orienteering meet; Bear Creek Park, CO Springs;
      www.rmoc.org

      Saturday; 6/7; Ultra Woman 50 Off Road Run; 50m; Manitou Sprgs;
      www.slowtwitchathletics.com; lisa@...; Lisa Walton

      Sunday; 6/8; Trophy Series; 2.4mi; Stone House Park, Lakewood;
      www.rmrr.org; (303) 871-8366

      Sunday; 6/8; Horsetooth Mtn Park Trail Run; 8mi; Ft. Collins;
      www.runnersroostftcollins.com; (970) 224-9114

      Saturday; 6/14; Waterton Cyn 10km; 10km; Waterton; (303) 791-3384

      Saturday; 6/14; Mt. Falcon Trail Race; 8mi; Morrison

      Saturday; 6/21; San Juan Solstice; 50mi; Lake City

      Saturday; 6/21; Orienteering meet; Observatory Park, Nederland;
      www.rmoc.org

      Sunday; 6/22; 10k@10,000'; 10km; Vail;
      www.vailrec.com/adult/running_races/index.html; (970) 479-2280

      Tuesday; 6/24; Twighlight Trail 10k; 10km; White Ranch;
      http://active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1061205;
      runahill@...; Adam; (303) 282-3921

      Saturday; 6/28; MTS; 10mi; Waterton Canyon; www.rmrr.org; (303) 871-
      8366

      Saturday; 6/28; Slacker Half-Marathon; 13.1mi

      Saturday; 6/28; Spring Creek Memorial; 5k, 10m; Steamboat;
      www.runningseries.com; (970) 879-1828; x26

      ++++++++++

      Race directors are always looking for additional help. Here are some
      upcoming volunteer opportunities:

      5/26, Bolder Boulder. Work the finish line and be on the field for
      the start and finish of the elite races. You can work the finish line
      if you're in one of the earlier waves. Contact Mike Robbert,
      mike_kasey@..., or Lee Bengston, Lee@....

      *5/31, Tails on Trails. White Ranch. My doggie trail run to benefit
      the Table Mtn Animal Shelter. runahill@..., 303-282-3921

      6/1, Mt. Evans Ascent. They need people to shuttle runners from the
      finish at the top, back down to the start. Contact Peggy Ballangee
      (Danelle's mom) at 303-674-1267, or Danelle at danelle@....
      Please tell them I sent you.

      *6/24, Twighlight Trail 10k. White Ranch. That's right. A weekday
      evening trail race. runahill@..., 303-282-3921

      *8/3, Golden Gate Canyon Trail Race, 9.5mi. runahill@..., 303-
      282-3921

      * I'd be willing to donate money to a youth running group, high
      school x-c team, or other non-profit organization in exchange for
      their volunteers helping out at my races.

      ++++++++++

      Every Sunday, the Incline Club meets to run in the Pikes Peak area.
      It's a large group with wide range of abilities. The runs start at
      8am sharp in Manitou Springs. The runs typically are 2-3.5 hours.
      They have upwards of 100 runners with a wide range of abilities. Let
      me know if you are interested in joining/forming a carpool, and what
      part of town you will be coming from. For more info on these runs,
      including a map and detailed description of this Sunday's route, go
      to www.inclineclub.com.

      Looking for company on a long weekend run? Want to carpool to a
      mountain race, Incline Club run or other outing? Let me know and I'll
      send out the word. Please send me specific information about where
      and when you want people to meet, or how to contact you. Please try
      to send me the information a week in advance so I have time to get it
      into my weekly message. Don't wait for me to plan everything!

      ++++++++++

      Most of the front range trails appear to be in great condition. I'm
      still looking for conditions from higher up the 285 or I-70
      corridors, or along Peak-to-Peak hwy as the snow melts away. Please
      to send me updates after this weekend so I can include them in next
      week's newsletter.

      Exceptions to good trail conditions:

      Bergen Peak (4/26) - Increasing snow as you climb Too Long or Bergen
      trails. The last mile to the peak is covered in snow.

      Apex (4/28) - There is still snow and downed trees in the Enchanted
      Forest.

      Deer Creek (4/26) - Homesteader trail had downed trees at last
      report, a few weeks ago.

      Waterton/Roxborough loop (5/4) - Lots of downed trees across the
      trail.