In like a lion

  • Adam Feerst <runahill@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
      + Wednesday morning run: Bear Creek Lake Park
      + Thursday evening run: Red Rocks
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: Elk Meadow, lower lot
      + Snowshoe, trail, and other upcoming events
      + US Snowshoe Championships Utah
      + Grand Canyon Run: April 19
      + Other weekend outings and carpool opportunities

      We did run at Green Mtn last Thursday. I know it was hard to get
      there. For the 5 of us who did make it, we had a great time. The snow
      actually made it less technical, less rocky. The only problem was
      finding the trail in the clouds at the top.

      ++++++++++

      The Wednesday morning run is at Bear Creek Lake Park (T=2, P=1-2) this
      week. Take C-470 to Morrison Rd. Go west. Take the first right at
      Rooney Rd, then an immediate right into the dirt lot, across from the
      Conoco Station. Meet in the lot. The run starts by taking the bike
      path across Morrison Rd into the park.

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday's run is at Red Rocks at 6:15pm. This can be either a
      road or trail run, depending on trail conditions or your preference.
      Either way provides some good hills. Meet at Trading Post, just below
      the ampitheatre at Red Rocks.

      From C470, take the Morrison exit. Head west, through the town of
      Morrison. Go past the traffic light at hwy 8. Take the next right and
      follow the signs to the Trading Post. From I-70, take the Red Rocks
      exit, #259. Go south, about 1-mile down the hill. Turn right into Red
      Rocks and follow the signs to the Trading Post. If traffic is really
      bad, take Rooney Rd south from US 40.

      Trail Route: Run up the road to the north. The fast and middle runners
      will go right on a single track at the 3-way road intersection. Slower
      runners should go right on the road for about 1/3mi, then left onto
      the Red Rocks trail. We'll follow the trail down the hill, then left
      back to the paved road. Cross the road and head up the Red Rocks
      trail. About 3/4-mi up, the trail splits. Go left for a steep climb up
      the Morrison Slide trail. To avoid the steep climb, go right, continue
      until the trails merge again, then return. For those taking the Slide,
      we'll cross the plateau, go down the other side, then make a sharp
      right where the trails merge. Return to the Trading Post the same way
      you came out; at the bottom of the Red Rocks trail, slow runners go
      right on the road, middle runners cross and follow the single track
      back. The lead group may take a longer way back. We'll cross the road
      and take the dirt road down. We'll go right on the paved road for
      ~1/2-mi, then right at the next intersection and finish uphill to the
      Trading Post.

      Road Route: We'll follow the CMRA 5mi race route (race is in April).
      Start up the hill. At the 3-way intersection, go left, then take the
      next right. Run up to and around the parking lot, then back down. Go
      right at the bottom up to the to of the ampitheatre, then back down to
      the 3-way. Go right back towards the Trading Post. Just below the
      ampitheatre and above the Trading Post, go right on the road. At the
      bottom, make a sharp left and follow the road up the hill. Take the
      next left back to the Trading Post.

      ++++++++++

      The Saturday Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at Chief Hosa (T=1,
      P=2) at 8:30am sharp. Take I-70 to the Chief Hosa exit, #253. Go
      south, left (if coming from Denver) across the highway. Go left on the
      dirt frontage road a short distance and park near the "Y", just below
      the lodge. Most of this run is on a maintained dirt road. Typically,
      the run goes up the dirt road for ~2mi, then takes a sharp left on the
      paved road to the flagpole. The last ~3/4-mi or so to the flagpole
      (it's tradition that you touch the flagpole) will probably require
      some post holing. If you want to avoid the snow, go right at the
      pavement for a while before turning. Either way, remember that
      intersection for the return.

      The ERC runs are usually about an hour long. Sometimes a few people
      will meet early or continue after the run to get in more mileage. They
      usually go out for coffee/breakfast afterwards. I don't lead these
      runs, so please don't ask me the questions. For more info about the
      ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      Upcoming ERC schedule:
      3/15 - Upper Bear Creek Rd, 5mi mark
      3/22 - Lair 'o the Bear
      3/29 - Alderfer 3 Sisters

      ++++++++++

      I encourage you to do this Saturday's Swift Skedaddle snowshoe race in
      Frisco. There's a 3k and 10k. Loaner snowshoes are available if you
      arrange that ahead of time. Contact Danelle at Danelle@...,
      or 970-389-4838. Let me know if you are interested in carpooling.
      There's an application in the Files section of the Yahoo Groups site.

      Upcoming events:
      3/5&8; Snowshoe Clinic; Rocky Mtn Natl Park; Boulder Outdoor Center,
      303-444-8420; www.boc123.com

      3/8; Swift Skedaddle Snowshoe Race#2; 3/10k; Frisco Nordic Center;
      www.racingunderground.com;
      www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1026004; 970-262-0477

      3/8; Steamboat Pentathlon; downhill ski, xc ski, snowshoe, bike, run;
      Steamboat; www.ci.steamboat.co.us/recreation/pentalon.htm

      3/9; Winter Triathlon Race Series #3; Multi; 10km run-20km mtn
      bike-15km ski; USAT Winter Triathlon Championship; Snow Mtn Ranch,
      Fraser; www.mountain-quest.com

      3/9; Alfred Packer trail race; 13.1mi, 26.2mi, 39.3mi; Chatfield State
      Park; www.coachweber.com

      3/15; Beaver Creek Snowshoe Adventure Series #4; 5/10km, kiddie K,
      dash for cash; Beaver Creek; www.bcsnowshoe.com; 970-476-6797 x108

      3/15; America's Uphill snowshoe race; 3+mi, 3,000'+; Aspen;
      www.utemountaineer.com

      3/15; Little Rincon Rogaine; ROG; 12hr&24hr; Tucson, AZ;
      www.lpl.arizona.edu/~mc/rincon/home.html

      3/15, 7pm; Night snowshoe race & party; Durango Mtn Resort; Andrew
      Bielecki, 970-349-6366

      3/15; Tubbs Snowshoes Romp to Stop Out Breast Cancer; Frisco Nordic
      Center; www.tubbssnowshoes.com; 800-882-2748

      3/22; Snowshoe-Orienteering; Squaw Pass; www.rmoc.org; I am setting
      the course.

      3/22; Sally Barber Stomp; 5k snowshoe; www.greatadventuresports.com;
      970-453-0333

      3/26&29; Snowshoe Clinic; Rocky Mtn Natl Park; Boulder Outdoor Center,
      303-444-8420; www.boc123.com

      3/29; US Snowshoe Assoc Natl Championships; 5/10km; near Salt Lake,
      UT; www.sports-am.com; sports-am@...; 801-583-6281; James Zwick

      3/30; Orienteering meet; Chatfield State Park; www.rmoc.org

      4/5; Snowshoe Shuffle; 5/10km & 1mi; Vail; www.vvmc.com/snowshoe.htm;
      303-694-2030 or 970-569-7485

      4/9&12; Snowshoe Clinic; Rocky Mtn Natl Park; Boulder Outdoor Center,
      303-444-8420; www.boc123.com

      4/12; K-9 Uphill; 2,000' over 2 miles on snowshoes w/your dog;
      www.sundogathletics.com; 970-925-1069

      ++++++++++

      The planned date for running the Grand Canyon is the weekend of April
      19 (I know it's Easter). Some will do a double crossing, south
      rim-north-rim-south rim, 42-48 miles depending on your route, with
      11,000' of climbing. Shorter options are available. Some of us may add
      a stop in Moab for some mtn biking on the way out and/or back. This
      helps break up the drive, about 685 miles. It would end up being a 3-5
      day weekend. We would probably camp at the south rim. If you've never
      been there, it's a must see, even if you don't want to run. All are
      welcome, even if you're not a runner. Let me know if you are
      interested, runahill@...

      ++++++++++

      Every Sunday, the Incline Club meets to run in the Pikes Peak area.
      It's a large group with wide range of abilities. The runs start at 8am
      sharp in Manitou Springs. The runs typically are 2-3.5 hours. Let me
      know if you are interested in joining a carpool, and what part of town
      you will be coming from. For more info on these runs, including a map
      and detailed description of this Sunday's route, go to
      www.inclineclub.com.

      Clark Fox is always looking for fellow powder hounds on the weekends.
      He usually goes tele-skiing, but welcomes company if you just want to
      go snowshoeing or otherwise play in the snow. For info, contact him at
      cfox@...

      Looking for company on a weekend run, ski, snowshoe, or other outing?
      Want to carpool to a snowshoe race or future Incline Club run? Let me
      know and I'll send out the word. Please send me specific information
      about where and when you want people to meet, or how to contact you.
      Please try to send me the information a week in advance. Don't wait
      for me to plan everything!
    • Adam Feerst
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
        The Saturday ERC run is at Chief Hosa. Ignore the headline and read the
        text below.

        Sorry

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/