Dec. 2

  • Adam Feerst
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      + Wed. morning run: Chief Hosa
      + Thursday evening run: Bear Creek Lake Park
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: Upper Bear Creek Rd, 5mi
      mark
      + Snowshoeing and other upcoming events: carpool to Vail race.
      + Weekend stuff.

      This Wednesday's morning run is at Chief Hosa (T=1, P=2), at 5:30am.
      Take I-70 to the Chief Hosa exit, #253. Go south, left (if coming
      from Denver) across the highway. Go left on the dirt frontage road a
      short distance and park near the "Y", just below the lodge.

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday evening run is at Bear Creek Lake Park (T=2, P=1-2) at
      6:15pm.

      Take C-470 to Morrison Rd. Go west. Take the first right at Rooney
      Rd, then an immediate right into the dirt lot, across from the Conoco
      Station.

      Proposed route (Dave's): Start on the bike path across Morrison road.
      Near the entrance to the park, go right across the bridge, then left
      onto a single track trail. The trail parallels the creek on the south
      side, going by several exercise stations. At the end of the exercise
      course (about 2mi), the wide path curves right. Look for a single
      track on the left. This will take you over a small hill to a large,
      dirt parking lot. Cross the lot to the south and look for a trail at
      the far side heading downhill. At the bottom of the hill, carefully
      cross the small creek on some rocks. On the far side. Go left on the
      trail. You have a choice at the base of Mt. Carbon. The lead group
      will probably climb the hill, come down a short, steep trail, then
      run across the top of the dam. Just follow the leader. We will wait a
      bit before heading up the hill. For the rest of you, go left on the
      road across the base of the dam. There are 3 options at the far side
      of the road. Just before the chain, go left onto a single track
      trail. About 1/2-mi later, you will cross a parking lot, then pick up
      the trail on the other side. Or, continue through the chain and go
      left on the road. At the bottom of a fairly steep descent, you can
      either follow the road to the right or go straight and pick up the
      trail.

      The trails are fairly safe and easy to run on, even with a little
      ice/snow. However, if you prefer, you can stay on the empty, paved,
      park roads. Don't cross the bridge near the start. Stay straight,
      through the park entrance, and follow the road to the east. Climb the
      road to the top of the dam, then turn back. Or, turn around after
      about 30-35 minutes.

      ++++++++++

      This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at the Upper
      Bear Creek Rd, 5mi mark at 8:30am sharp. The run goes up the paved
      road for about 1 mile, then turns onto a dirt road for another 2-3
      miles before turning back.

      Take I-70 to Evergreen Parkway, exit #252. Follow the Parkway about 5
      (?) miles to Evergreen Lake. At the bottom of the hill, just before
      the road curves left. Go right onto Upper Bear Creek Rd. Go exactly 5
      miles. Look for the 5mi marker and a dirt turnout/lot on the right.

      ERC has been meeting to run trails in the Evergreen area on Saturday
      mornings for about 5 years. The runs are usually about an hour long.
      Sometimes a few people will meet early or continue after the run to
      get in more mileage. They usually go out for coffee/breakfast
      afterwards. I don't lead these runs, so please don't ask me the
      questions. For more info about the ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      ++++++++++

      If anyone is interested in carpooling to the race this weekend at the
      Vail Nordic Center, please let me know by Friday morning. Send your
      name and where you are coming from to runahill@...

      Upcoming snowshoe events:
      + 12/7/02, Sat; Pedal Power Series #1 - Vail Nordic; 4mi; Vail Nordic
      Center; pedalpwr@...
      + 12/8/02, Sun; Day of Infamy; 8km; Ski Sunlight, near Glenwood
      + 12/14/02, Sat; Beaver Creek Snowshoe Adventure Series #1; 5/10km,
      kiddie K, dash for cash; www.bcsnowshoe.com; 970-476-6797 x108
      + 12/14/02, Sat; Salomon Nordic Series #1; 5km, also ski races;
      Devil's Thumb; www.emgcolorado.com; emgmh@...
      + 12/15/02, Sun; Off-Track Off-Beat; 10km; Leadville;
      www.redfeather.com/pdfs/offtrack.PDF
      * 12/21/02, Sat; demo/clinic;
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/message/273
      + 12/22/02, Sun; Winter Triathlon Race Series #1; Tri; 5km run-10km
      mtn bike-8km ski; Snow Mtn Ranch, Fraser; www.mountain-quest.com
      * 12/29/02, Sun; Snowshoe demo/clinic;
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/message/273
      + 12/31/02; Tue; Pedal Power Series #2 - Eagle-Vail; 5/10km; Vail;
      pedalpwr@...

      * I will be leading these FREE outings. I will have free loaners
      available from Redfeather. Attendance is limited, so you will need to
      RSVP to reserve your spot and pair of snowshoes. Please only select
      one of the outings. The 21st will be a fairly easy outing, kids are
      welcome. The 29th is for fitter people - any runner or very strong
      hiker. We will take on some more challenging terrain requiring a
      greater effort to keep up. Snowshoe experience is not important. Both
      are for beginners. For details, go to:

      ++++++++++

      Clark Fox is always looking for fellow powder hounds on the weekends.
      He usually goes tele-skiing, but welcomes company if you just want to
      go snowshoeing or otherwise play in the snow. For info, contact him
      at cfox@...

      I (Adam) am always looking for people to go skate skiing with. Let me
      know if you are interested, runahill@...

      Looking for company on a weekend run, ski, snowshoe, or other such
      stuff? Let me know and I'll send out the word. Please send me
      specific information about where and when you want people to meet, or
      how to contact you. Don't wait for me to plan everything!