Snowshoeing

  • runahill
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Is anyone interested in going snowshoeing tomorrow, Saturday? I'm
      getting a snow depth update today and will see if it's worthwhile. We
      may hear a short way up into the mountaind. Possible locations I am
      thinking about:
      Echo Lake/Mt. Evans
      St. Mary's Glacier
      Rollinsville area
      Is there enough snow at Deer Creek? That's a great place to go when
      there's enough local snow.
      Any other suggestions?

      If interested, RSVP with a phone number I can reach you at tonight.

      I'm thinking of mainly doing some hiking with some light running, not
      a hard core outing. Just a first chance of the season to get out.

      I have a couple of extra pairs of shoes I can lend out if you don't
      have any. First come; first serve.
    • runuphillracing
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        Many of the newer members may be wondering why all the fuss about
        snowshoeing. Well, it's: fun, extremely easy to learn, a great
        workout, inexpensive, and can take you to some great places. See the
        schedule of events below.

        I encourage everyone to get out there and try some snowshoeing. If you
        are just getting started, go to one of the Winter Trails events,
        either this Sat at Echo Lake, or Feb 19 and Rocky Mtn Nat Park.

        Snowshoeing is the warmest (outside) and possibly the easiest winter
        sport. If you can walk, you can snowshoe. Just a minute or two is all
        it takes to get going. Your stride is almost the same as running
        (until you get into deeper powder). It requires more power and hip
        strength. You can sweat more and get your heart rate up higher than
        running or biking the steepest hill on a hot, summer day. Modern
        snowshoes are relatively small and lightweight. A good pair of
        snowshoes will last you for years. Some have lifetime warranties. You
        can go almost anywhere. You don't even need a trail. It's great
        training for trail running and biking.

        Don't be afraid to try a race. Most of them are fun and friendly. Sure
        there will be some fast people there, but almost every race has people
        who walk the whole way. Many races have free loaners available. You
        can also rent running snowshoes at places like Runners Roost and
        Boulder Running Co. Don't try to relate a road race to the time or
        effort it will take for the same distance on snowshoes. Most snowshoe
        courses aren't accurately measured (it's hard to use a wheel on snow).
        When you go off packed trails (which makes it more fun), your times
        will be a lot slower. Even the top racers walk sometimes. The winning
        time in a 5k race may be 30 minutes or more. The Solomon Series races
        are on hard packed trails, so times will be a lot faster.

        A few tips on clothing. Dress like you would for nordic skiing or a
        winter bike ride. A few light layers are better then one thick one.
        You will warm up quickly, so be prepared to shed layers as you go.
        Wear a wicking layer next to the skin.

        DON'T WEAR FLEECE! Wear slick, outer layers to shed snow. Fleece is
        like velcro for snow. Close pockets and mesh pouches. You get wet from
        below, kicking up snow as you walk/run.

        Keeping your feet warm and dry is important. Lightweight, waterproof
        foot gear is important. I use running shoes with neoprene socks when I
        race (boots for hiking in powder). Nordic ski boots work well. Gaiters
        are a good idea. It'll keep snow out of your shoes. I use small trail
        gaitors with my running shoes, and back-country gaitors when hiking.

        We will be carpooling to some of these events. Look for details in the
        regular DTR messages.

        1/8; Winter Trails, Echo Lake. Free demos from many of the major
        manufacturers. Guided hikes, food, and stuff for kids.
        http://wintertrails.org/wintertrails.php?section=event&page=co

        1/8; Turquoise Lake 20-mile snowshoe race; Leadville;
        www.racingunderground.com/snowindex.html

        1/8; Solomon Series Governor's Cup; snowshoe and ski races; Frisco
        Nordic Center; www.emgcolorado.com, 970-668-0866

        1/9; Beaver Creek Snowshoe Series #2; www.bcsnowshoe.com; 970-476-6797
        x107

        1/15; The Swift Skedaddle snowshoe race; 3k/10k; Silverthorne;
        970-389-4838; http://www.racingunderground.com/skedaddle.html

        1/19, 5:30pm; Nighthawks Nordic Series, ski & snowshoe races; Eldora
        Mtn, Nederland; 303-440-8700 x267

        1/21-23; Grand Lake Snowshoe Festival; guided tours/hikes, snowshoe
        race (1/22), guided hikes, and other events; 970-627-1881;
        http://www.grandlakesnowshoefestival.com/

        1/22; Pazzo's Colorado State Championships at Meadow Mtn.; 9mi
        snowshoe; Minturn; 970-845-0931

        1/26, 5:30pm; Nighthawks Nordic Series, ski & snowshoe races; Eldora
        Mtn, Nederland; 303-440-8700 x267

        1/29; Cordillera Snowshoe Adventure; 5K/10K; Edwards; 970-581-5254;
        http://www.altituderacing.com/cordillera_snowshoe_races.html

        1/29; Winter Park Snowshoe Race; 5km (officially, but more like 4mi);
        800-903-7275; http://winterpark-info.com/events/index.html?event=1455

        1/30; Snowshoe cross-training for runners, cyclists and triathletes;
        Nederland; www.racingunderground.com/snowindex.html; 303-642-7917

        2/5; Snowshoe and Ski Orienteering; Frisco Nordic Center; www.rmoc.org

        2/5, 7pm; Cordillera Moonlight Snowshoe Adventure; 5K/10K; Edwards;
        970-581-5254; http://www.altituderacing.com/cordillera_snowshoe_races.html

        2/6; Solomon Series Gold Rush; snowshoe and ski races; Frisco Nordic
        Center; www.emgcolorado.com, 970-668-0866

        2/12; Beaver Creek Snowshoe Series #3; www.bcsnowshoe.com;
        970-476-6797 x107

        2/13; Screamin Snowman Snowshoe Race; 5k/10k; Eldora Mtn Resort,
        Nederland; http://www.racingunderground.com/sssnowman.html

        2/19; Winter Trails, Estes Park. Free demos from many of the major
        manufacturers. Guided hikes, food, and stuff for kids.
        http://wintertrails.org/wintertrails.php?section=event&page=co

        2/19; FREE snowshoe race; Salida area; tsobal@..., 719-539-4112

        2/19; Mt. Taylor Quadrathlon (bike, run, ski, snowshoe); Grant, NM;
        http://www.mttaylorquad.org/

        2/27; FREE snowshoe race; Echo Lake or Berthoud Pass;
        http://www.runuphillracing.com, info@...; 303-870-0487

        3/5; Beaver Creek Snowshoe Series #4; www.bcsnowshoe.com; 970-476-6797
        x107

        3/5, 6:30 pm; Billy's Island Grill Vail Mtn 5 miler; Lionshead
        Gondola, Vail,CO; 970-845-0931

        3/6; Steamboat Pentathlon (alpine ski, snowshoe, nordic ski, mtn bike,
        run);
        http://www.ci.steamboat.co.us/recreation/sports/pentathlon/pentathlon_info.htm

        3/19; The Swift Skedaddle snowshoe race; 3K/10K; Frisco; 970-389-4838;
        http://www.racingunderground.com/skedaddle.html

        3/20; AARP Snowshoe Festival; Devil's Thumb Resort, near Fraser; (303)
        764-5987; http://www.aarp.org/co/Articles/a2004-02-06-co-snowshoes.html