Week of May 3

  • Adam Feerst
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      + Thursday Run + May schedule + Results: FAWAP + Weekend Stuff: ERC & Collegiate Peaks + Summer Race Survey + Colorado Relay + Train to End StrokeThis Thursday's run is at South Table Mtn. Meet at the NREL visitors lot behind the Denver West shopping center. This is a fairly easy (i.e., not too steep), non-technical trail. The early group will meet at 5:15pm; the main group at 6:15. There is no bathroom/changing facility here.Take I-70 to the Denver West exit. Go north towards Table Mtn. Turn left at the stop sign, Denver West Parkway. The lot is 2 blocks ahead on the right, just before the NREL entrance gate.From 6th Ave, exit at Indiana. Go south to Colfax. Turn right to Denver West Marriot Blvd, just past the shopping center. Turn left, over I-70, to the stop sign, and follow the directions above.We will meet at NREL regardless of weather. IN CASE OF RAIN/SNOW/MUD, we will not run the trail. Instead, go east on Denver West Pkwy. to 20th; go left 1 block to Eldridge; go right to 32nd; go right to the frontage road just west of I-70; go left to the Clear Creek path; go right on the bike path and turn around at about 35-40 minutes. Look for a note on my car, brown Saturn, to see where we are going.++++++++++May schedule. Maps and directions will come out later. 5/10 - Mt. Falcon. The first time trial of the season! For the newcomers, we run from the lower lot to the gazebo, about 2.5mi, 1600'. We will do this about every month so you can track your progress through the season. 5/17 - Green Mtn. It's gonna be dry this time. 5/24 - Deer Creek Park. More daylight, so the main group will start at 6:30 and go for 1:30-1:45. 5/31 - Apex Park.++++++++++This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run is at Chief Hosa. It's a fairly moderate hill on mostly dirt roads. Take I-70 to the Chief Hosa exit, #253. Meet just below the lodge on the south side of I-70, by 8:30am. For more info go to: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.htmlThis Sat., several of us are doing the Collegiate Peaks 25/50mi race in Buena Vista. Some of us are going up earlier on Friday. If you are interested in carpooling, let me know when you can leave and I will try to help. You are responsible for your own lodging. After the race, join us for hot springs, food and margaritas in town. The race is probably full, but you can call the BV Chamber of Commerce to check: 719-395-6612.++++++++++Last Saturday's no FAWAP Adventure Race was a lot more than people bargained for. Only one team found all of the checkpoints and they finished after 6pm, 11+hrs (the estimated winning time was about 6 hrs). Robert, Chris and I, "3 Pale Moons," were probably one of only 3 or 4 teams that even tried to find CP#10, which was way off the Colo. trail - bushwhacking down the side of a hill, across a stream, and up another hillside. We finally abandoned our search when it was starting to get dark, and walked out of the bush into the finish at Buffalo Creek just after 9pm; we started at 7am at Chatfield. Kendra stuck it out with Hollie, Daphne and the Eco-challenge veterans of Team Stray Dogs until 11pm. At least they were smart enough to bring flashlights. It was a very long and tough day for everyone. But a lot of fun (in hindsight) and a great learning experience.++++++++++Thanks to everyone who has returned the survey. Please keep 'em coming! I will send it out again for those of you who deleted it.The most popular races so far are: Mt. Falcon, Alderfer, Mt. Evans, Snow Mtn. Ranch 20k, Vail Hill Climb, and Georgetown-Idaho Springs. It looks like we will be able to put together carpools to a number of races. The first is group carpool will probably be to the Turquoise Lake 20k in Leadville on June 2. Some of us are planning to spend the weekend in Leadville. Info will come later. An application is attached, or go to www.racingunderground.com.++++++++++Is anyone interested in running the Colorado Outward Bound Relay? The race is Fri-Sat, Sep 14-15. It is about 170mi from Idaho Springs to Glenwood Springs and takes about 24 hrs. You can form teams of 10 or 5. On the 10-person teams, each member runs 3-separate legs of 5-9 mi, 13-22mi total each. On the ultra, 5-person teams, each member runs a single leg of about 29-37mi.Several people have expressed interest in joining either a 10-person or ultra team. Let me know if you are interested. I think there may be enough interest to do one of each. http://www.coloradorelay.com/++++++++++The American Heart Association is starting a new program called "Train to End Stroke." It is modeled after the Team-in-Training program. They are looking for coaches and participants. If interested, contact Erin Brundage at 303 369-5433 ext.223, or Ebrundage@...

      Adam Feerst
      303-282-3921
      When in doubt, run uphill

      Do You Yahoo!?