Week of Sept. 3

  • runahill
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002
      + Warning - Protect your valuables.
      + Wed. morning run: Apex
      + Thursday evening run: Green Mtn.
      + Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle run: Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak race
      + Volunteer Trail Work
      + Carpooling: Snow Mtn Duathlon
      + Upcoming races
      + Mid America X-C Championships
      + Results: Breck Crest, Am Disc Trail Marathon
      + Calling all race stories

      Warning notices have been posted at several parks warning people of
      break-ins. Apparently, there have been several vehicle break-ins
      (including prying open and breaking windows) with valuables stolen,
      often in broad daylight. I am not aware of anyone getting hit on our
      Thursday night runs. Let's keep it that way. Avoid bringing valuables
      with you if possible. Hide your wallets and other valuables in your
      car. Don't leave your keys around; I usually carry mine on an old
      shoelace around my neck. Be alert. Keep your eyes open for people
      lurking around.

      ++++++++++

      This Wednesday's morning run is at Apex (T=4, P=3) at 6:15am.

      Meet at the north end of the lower Heritage Square lot, by the large
      trail map. Take 6th Ave. west to the end of the freeway. Take 6th
      Ave. west to the end of the freeway. Turn left onto US 40/Colfax, the
      light at the end of the freeway. Go about 1.5mi to the entrance to
      Heritage Square. Turn right, then an immediate right to the lower
      lot. From C-470 and I-70, take exit 259 (Red Rocks). Go north, about
      a mile down the hill. Turn left at Heritage Square.

      Upcoming Wed morning schedule:
      9/11 - Green Mtn
      9/18 - South Valley Park
      9/25 - Chimney Gulch/Lookout Mtn

      ++++++++++

      This Thursday's trail run is at Green Mtn. (T=3, P=4). The main group
      starts at 6:15pm. An early, smaller and less organized group starts
      at 5:30pm.

      From Denver, take 6th Ave. to the end of the freeway. Turn left at
      the first light, Colfax or US 40. Go about 1 mile, just under the C-
      470 extension, and turn left at the light, Rooney Road. The lot is
      about 1 mile ahead on the left.

      From the south, take C-470 to Morrison Rd. Go west, then take the
      first right on Rooney Road, before you enter Morrison, by the Conoco
      station. About 2.5 miles up, the road ends at Alameda. Go left, cross
      over C-470, then take the next right onto Rooney Road again. The lot
      is about 1/3 mile up on the right.

      Upcoming Thursday night run schedule (subject to change):
      9/12 - Mt. Falcon Time Trial
      9/19 - Hogback/Matthew Winters
      9/26 - Apex
      10/3-South Valley Park (tentative)
      10/10-Lookout/Chimney Gulch
      10/17-S. Table
      10/24-Green Mtn

      ++++++++++

      This Saturday's Evergreen Runners Circle (ERC) run will be at the Elk
      Meadow/Bergen Peak races (see below). Take Evergreen Parkway, hwy 74,
      exit 252, from I-70. Continue through Bergen Park, past the lower Elk
      Meadow lot, then look for registration on the left. Registration is
      not at the park (usually). The races start at the Stagecoach (upper)
      lot. Go to the light at Stagecoach, by the Albertsons. Go west about
      1 mile to the parking lot.

      ERC has been meeting to run trail in the Evergreen area on Saturday
      mornings for about 5 years. Several of them regularly run with us on
      Thursday nights, and vice-versa. The runs are usually about an hour
      long. Sometimes a few people will meet early or continue after the
      run to get in more mileage, and/or go out for coffee/breakfast
      afterwards. I don't lead these runs, so please don't ask me the
      questions. For more info about the ERC schedules, go to:
      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/7018/index.html

      ++++++++++

      The Jeffco Open Space program has two upcoming Volunteer Trail Days:
      Sat., Sept. 7, Centennial Cone Park
      A new park up Clear Creek Cyn., hwy 6.
      Sat., Oct. 5, Matthews/Winters - Green Mountain Park

      To register (you must do so in advance), contact Nora Simmons at 303-
      271-5922. When doing so, please indicate that you are from the
      DenverTrailRunners.

      For more info. go to:
      http://ww2.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dpt/comm_res/openspac/trailprj.htm

      Running can be a very selfish activity. I believe that everyone
      should try to give something back to the running community. Since
      most of our runs are at Jeffco Open Space Parks, these volunteer
      opportunities are a great match for us. Some races (e.g., Western
      States 100) require racers to do a certain amount of volunteer work
      at races or on trails. If you can't make one of these dates, consider
      volunteering at an upcoming race.

      ++++++++++

      Aaron Ruhnow is looking to carpool to the Snow Mtn Ranch Duathlon on
      Sept. 7. Contact him at AaronRuhnow@.... See below for more
      info on the race.

      ++++++++++

      Below are some upcoming races and events. I do not guarantee accuracy
      of the info. Please check the details with the RD.

      9/4; 6:00 PM; Harrier Criterium; 5km; X-C; Bear Creek Lake Park;
      William Wyckoff; 303-982-1970
      9/7; 7:00 AM; Imogene Pass Run; 17.1 Mi; Trail; Ouray; Gladys Reece;
      970-255-1002; iprrd@...; www.csbservices.com/
      9/7; 8:00 AM; Neilsen Challenge; 2 Mi; Trail; Colorado Sprgs; Zane
      Meredith; 719-633-2055; zgunta@...; www.pprrun.org/
      9/7; 9:20 AM; Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak Trail Run; 5.6 Mi & 11.5 Mi;
      Trail; Evergreen; Sharon Martin; 303-674-6441
      9/7; Snow Mountain Ranch Duathlon; 5k run, 15k mtn bike, 5k run;
      Fraser; 970-887-2152; www.active.com
      9/7-8; Orienteering Meet and picnic at Blue Mountain, near Lake
      George; www.rmoc.org
      9/14; 8:30 AM; Mary's Loop; 8 Mi; Trail; Grand Junction; Robb Reece;
      970-261-8103; vagabondelvis@...; www.wic.net/%7Emcreece
      9/14; Orienteering meet at Devil's Thumb; Boulder (not the one in
      Winter Park); www.rmoc.org
      9/15; 8:00 AM; Pony Express Run; 15 Mi; Trail; Woodland Park; Pikes
      Peak Road Runners; 719-260-8993; patlockhart@...;
      www.pprrun.org/
      9/15; 8:30 AM; Golden Leaf Half Marathon; 13.5 Mi; Trail; Aspen; Ute
      Mountaineer; 970-925-9360; paul@...;
      www.utemountaineer.com/
      9/17; 6:00 PM; Georgetown Classic; 5km; X-C; Georgetown; William
      Wyckoff; 303-982-1970
      9/20; 7:00 AM; Colorado Outward Bound Relay; 170 Mi; Relay; Idaho
      Sprgs; Kate Borgelt; 303-831-6967; kateb@...;
      www.coloradorelay.com/
      9/21; 9:00 AM; Autumn Color Run; 13.1 Mi; Trail; Buena Vista; Buena
      Vista Chamber; 719-395-6612; buenavista@...;
      www.fourteenernet.com/
      9/21; 10:00 AM; Vail Evergold Trail 10K; 10 Km; Trail; Vail; Vail
      Recreation District; 970-479-2280; mortiz@...;
      www.vailrec.com/
      9/21; Roadkill Trail Half Marathon; 13.1 Mi; Trail; Kremmling; Carrie
      Schayer; 970-724-3472; kacoc@...; www.kremmlingchamber.com/
      9/22; 9:00 AM; Como to Breckenridge; 20 Mi; Dirt Road; Como; Rocky
      Mtn Road Runners; 303-871-8366; rmrr@...; www.rmrr.org
      9/22; 2:00 PM; Fall Cross Country Series I; 3.5 Mi; Trail; Colorado
      Sprgs; Larry Miller; 719-590-7086; Fallseries@...; www.pprrun.org/
      9/28; 9:00 AM; Bacon Strip Trail Races; 4 & 10 Mi; Trail; Fort
      Collins; Larry Lucero; 970-224-9114; roostftc@...;
      www.runnersroostftcollins.com/
      9/29; 8:00 AM; Boulder Backroads Marathon; 13.1/26.2 Mi; Trail;
      Boulder; Lesley Kinder; 303-939-9661; bouldermarathon@...;
      www.boulderbackroads.com/
      9/29; Grand Prix 1/2 Marathon; 13.1 Mi; Half gravel trail; Colorado
      Sprgs; Carol O'Donnell; 719-635-8803; cs_gprix@...;
      www.csgrandprix.com/
      10/1/02; 6:00 PM; Dakota Ridge Invitational; 5km; X-C; Dakota Ridge
      HS; William Wyckoff; 303-982-1970
      10/5/02; 9:00 AM; Lair 'O The Bear Trail Race; 10 Mi; Trail;
      Evergreen; Sharon Martin; 303-674-6441
      10/5/02; Mid-America X-C Championships; 5.8k, 8k; Trail; Boulder; Tim
      Dolen; 303-499-3841; tpdolen@...;
      http://www.toucantrackclub.net/midamerica.html
      10/5/02; 8:00 AM; Danielesque Trail Run; 23 & 46 Km; Trail/ Ultra;
      Golden; Penny Rosenfeld; 303-271-1935; PennyRosenfeld@...;
      www.pmimage.com/danielesque.html
      10/5/02; 8:00 AM; Neilsen Challenge; 2 Mi; Trail; Colorado Sprgs;
      Zane Meredith; 719-633-2055; zgunta@...; www.pprrun.org/
      10/5/02; 8:30 AM; Chris Severy XC 5k; 5 Km; Trail; Aspen; Chris
      Keleher; 970-927-0265; clkeleher@...
      10/6/02; Matchett Park Cross-country; 5K/10K; X-C; Grand Junction;
      www.mmstriders.org/
      10/12/02; 9:00 AM; Mile High Trail Challenge; 25M, 50M, 100M; Trail;
      Littleton; Scott Weber; 303-973-7575; coachweber@...;
      www.coachweber.com/
      10/13/02; 8:30 AM; Run to Whitewater; 18 Mi; Trail; Grand Junction;
      970-243-9219; www.mmstriders.org/
      10/13/02; 2:00 PM; Fall Cross Country Series II; 3.5 Mi; Trail;
      Colorado Sprgs; Larry Miller; 719-590-7086; fallseries@...;
      www.pprrun.org/
      10/22/02; 7:00 AM; Dave Garrison Memorial Runs; 50M & 50 Km; Ultra;
      Colorado Sprgs; Bob Whitney; 719-442-1966; rbwhitney17@...
      10/27/02; 2:00 PM; Fall Cross Country Series III; 6 Mi; Trail;
      Colorado Sprgs; Larry Miller; 719-590-7086; Fallseries@...;
      www.pprrun.org/

      ++++++++++

      Saturday, October 5, is the Mid-America Cross-Country Championships
      in Boulder. There are separate races for men, women, masters, and
      collegiate runners (featuring CU and other top schools). The women's
      and master's races are 5.8km (~3.6mi); the men's race is 8km (~5mi).
      There is also a team competition. I would be happy to help put
      together one or more DenverTrailRunners teams (I can't do the race
      that day). Let me know if you are interested: runahill@...

      For more info go to:
      http://www.toucantrackclub.net/midamerica.html

      ++++++++++

      Breckenridge Crest Marathon:
      Eric Bindner - 3:54 (1st in age grp)
      Tania Pacev - 4:31 (1st in age grp)
      Jan Ingebrigtsen - 4:39
      Joe Paniccia - 4:48.
      Clark Fox 5th? in the 10-miler.

      American Discovery Trail Marathon
      Theresa Do - 3:36:29
      Michael Robbert - 3:54:59

      ++++++++++

      Submit your stories from Leadville, Pikes, or other major races
      you've done. Your stories may help others. Send it to
      runahill@.... Tell us about:
      Your Goal
      Result
      Training/Prep