4th of July run

  • acatseye@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012
      Start your Independence Day off right with a special DTR run. We'll run Herman's Gulch and the Continental Divide Trail (CDT).

      Herman's Gulch is one of the most beautiful high altitude trails, with an abundance of wildflowers. The CDT offers 360deg views including: 9mile range, Gore range, Longs peak, Grays & Torreys, and Evans.

      Meet at the Wooly Mammoth lot at 7:30am to carpool. Wooly Mammoth is the largest of the park-n-ride lots, on the NW side of I70 & the Red Rocks exit (#259), http://g.co/maps/v2r87. Meet by the lower entrance to the lot. If you're coming from Evergreen and want to carpool, let us know in advance and we'll pick you up at the Soda Creek exit, #248, at the jct with CR65, the E side of Floyd Hill. Or, meet at the trailhead at 8:30.

      Herman's Gulch is 41mi from the Wooly Mammoth at exit 218, the last exit before the Loveland Ski Area. There's a large, dirt, FS lot on the N side of the highway. The run starts at ~10,300'. About 30 seconds after the start go left at the sign towards Herman's Lake. The lake is at ~12,000'. Just before you crest the last rise before the lake, you can go right onto the CDT (B). There's a short rise over a saddle, down and around a bowl, then a steep climb to the divide (C). You can go out and back on the CDT as far as you want. It's 3mi from the start to CDT (A-B); another 1.5 to the divide (B-C); 0.4mi from the CDT to the lake (B-D).
      http://goo.gl/maps/n4WO

      We'll figure out how far people want to run in the morning.