Thu run, 3/22

  • DenverTrailRunners (No Reply)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2012
    Spring has sprung. Time to run the trails. Forecast for this Thursday is a high around 60, light winds, sunset @ 7:15pm, civil twilight @ 7:42, new moon.

    If you haven't run with DTR before, please read the whole message for important information. And, please review the attached maps and route descriptions.

    This Thursday's run is at Hildebrand Ranch Park, in SW Littleton. The early group meets at 5:30pm; the main group starts at 6:15pm.

    Driving directions: http://g.co/maps/ydbbg

    From Morrison & I70/C470, take to the Kipling exit. Go S to the first street. Turn right onto Ute. Follow Ute back to the W, and as it curves left and heads downhill. At the bottom of the hill, turn left at the Y. The lot is 2/3mi down on the right.

    From Inverness, DTC and points E, take C470 W to the Wadsworth exit. Go S, left, to the first street. Turn right at the light onto Deer Creek Canyon Rd. The lot is 1.3mi up on the left.

    Run notes: Hildebrand is a relatively easy trail, with moderate hills, and a mix of wide, smooth dirt paths, and not very rocky single-track. Pay attention to the path through the neighborhood. Once you're past that and onto the trail, there's only one trail to follow. Maps are attached. You can also find them at
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/files/Trails/Hildebrand/
    Addl info on the park at http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R25.htm

    We'll run this in the clockwise direction. This will get everyone through the neighborhood turns early while we're still fairly close together. After that, just follow the one trail back to the start.  Keep the runs at about an hour or shorter (for the main group, the early group usually goes longer) to finish around 7:20-7:30.

    We start out slow and together, then break up into different groups based on speed. Don't blindly follow the runner directly in front of you or assume you're in the appropriate group at the start. Please pick the appropriate route for your speed and time available. Please regroup at key junctions. We ask those familiar with the trails to watch out for and help guide newcomers.

    Head up the wide path. ~200m from the lot, at the start of the hill, go left onto a single-track. Follow the trail SE. At 3/4mi you'll enter the housing development onto a wide path. Continue up and over the hill, past the path coming in from the right. At the bottom, ~1.1mi, jog left across the small footbridge, then right. Continue up the path to the road.

    Cross Trailmark Pkwy and head straight up the street. Just past the first structure, go right onto the dirt path. The path quickly curves left and climbs ~0.3mi gradually behind a row of houses. The path curves left, crosses S Johnson St, then continues S, up behind another row of houses. Twice on this section, the the path crosses the top of a cul-de-sac. At the top, the path curves left. This is a long, 2/3mi, gradual downhill behind another row of homes. At the bottom, veer left, then right around a culvert, and through the fence line. You are now back on the Hildebrand Park trail. If it takes you 30min or more to do this 2.6mi portion, consider turning around and going back to the start the same way. It's longer back via the trail.

    Follow the trail for ~3.3mi back to the start. The trail starts fairly wide and flat, then turns to single-track. It climbs gradually for ~1.65 mi, rolls across the top, then descends back to the lot. The entire loop is ~5.9mi.

    For those wanting to go longer, just before you drop down to the lot, stay right and head back towards the neighborhood, like you did at the start, for a short out-and-back. Use your watch to decide when to turn around.

    http://cotrip.org/Bring warm and dry clothing for after the run.

    Everyone is invited to join us for dinner after the run. We will pick a nearby restaurant. We typically go left up Deer Creek for 2/3mi, right at the Y, up the hill then back to the right, left at the stop sign, Kipling, under C470, right at the light just past Albertsons, Remington, then right into the lot. There you have a choice of Noodles, Subway and Qdoba.

    Carpool: If you are interested in sharing a ride to/from any of the DTR runs, please post a message on our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

    Weather, cam and traffic links:
    Hwy speed maps and traffic cams - http://cotrip.org/
    National Weather Service forecast -
    http://tinyurl.com/7nj3vsr
    Moon phase: http://www.almanac.com/moon/calendar/CO/Denver/
    Moon rise/set: http://www.almanac.com/moon/rise/CO/Denver/
    Sunrise/set - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=75

    DenverTrailRunners
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DenverTrailRunners/
    http://www.denvertrailrunners.org
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-Trail-Runners/124728809715

    This e-mail address is not monitored regularly. Please use
    DenverTrailRunners-owner@yahoogroups.com